GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
I only replaced the tensioner since the chains looked good. Although, It would be nice if the dealership would replace the chains and such for free now..... ;)

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
I scrolled through the document and did not see compensation amount allowed for total engine replacement due to timing chain tensioner failure. Is engine failure covered in this claim?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Don't count on getting any free tensioner installed or chain update at the dealer either if you don't have it. This will probably end up being like the ABS module or intake manifold repair where you need to have actual failure and an identifiable code stored showing that you qualify for any repair or future reimbursement if you had it done at a shop.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I'll be honest, I didn't read through that whole document. Anyone know if those of us who did the tensioner/chain swap labor ourselves as preventative maintenance will receive any kind of compensation? The document seems to only address those that had the work done at a VW dealership or Indy shop.

I tried this when the ABS module recall came out. I submitted a claim to VW with my receipts when I DIYed the module repair and my claim was denied. It needed to be done at a shop. Receipts for parts and telling them you did it yourself is not enough proof that you actually had an issue and deserve to be compensated unfortunately.

Uberryan

Banned
Don't count on getting any free tensioner installed or chain update at the dealer either if you don't have it. This will probably end up being like the ABS module or intake manifold repair where you need to have actual failure and an identifiable code stored showing that you qualify for any repair or future reimbursement if you had it done at a shop.

Which is fine, jokes on them. When the failure occurs, they foot a larger bill than if they had just done it. Eventually they'll learn from their mistakes, but for now, if they feel like it's a better course of action to "sit and wait" then they apparently have too much money to blow. Hopefully, if mine ever does fail, it does on a roadtrip, so I can press for expenses, tow, hotel, travel costs, time lost. This settlement is a big victory for this particular failure. Hopefully we can push for the water pump next, or mech unit, RMS, etc.

I was pretty certain all hope was lost for this model in regards to further recalls.

dbgti

Say whaaa?
VW/Audi timing chain failure Class action lawsuit preliminary settlement filed on May 14, 2018.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B07_kJqEOoqOQ3hCREJIekZteXZ2QVVLVlJGaU5LR1kzaGJz/view?usp=drivesdk

IANAL - The first section basically states that you need receipts for all of the relevant maintenance (oil/filter changes) or your SOL.

Also, the 10 year 100k mile cap screws over a lot of us, since the failure usually occurs shortly after 100k.

I’m done with VW

jshay

Go Kart Champion
This is amazing news. My tensioner failed around 70K and i shelled out nearly 2K for repairs at an indie shop.

Luckily oil changes at my local dealership has been cheap so I've always brought it in for oil changes.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
I only replaced the tensioner since the chains looked good. Although, It would be nice if the dealership would replace the chains and such for free now..... ;)

That's what I had done. My indy shop told me the chain was fine but the actual tensioner was halfway from failing (rattling noise was present so I knew it was close). They where doing the valve gasket leak fix so the extra 70 bucks wasnt a big deal, they actually cut an hour labor as well. I love my indy shop lol.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Does anybody know what happens to those of us with the old revision? I'm a 2012 with a little over 50k miles and during my last service when they were fixing the timing seal leaks, I asked them to check the tensioner too and they told me "no, that's extra work from what we're already doing" (lol). From what it seems, VW won't issue a recall/TSB. Will I have to go pay for this out of pocket from VW, then request reimbursement which doesn't really make sense. I guess they'd rather keep forking out 6k everytime an engine blows because of it.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
Does anybody know what happens to those of us with the old revision? I'm a 2012 with a little over 50k miles and during my last service when they were fixing the timing seal leaks, I asked them to check the tensioner too and they told me "no, that's extra work from what we're already doing" (lol). From what it seems, VW won't issue a recall/TSB. Will I have to go pay for this out of pocket from VW, then request reimbursement which doesn't really make sense. I guess they'd rather keep forking out 6k everytime an engine blows because of it.

For the piece of mind, I would just get it done at a indie shop. Sucks they have to dig into it again but its better than spending money on a "new" engine.

stradovinski

Passed Driver's Ed
I would imagine this is a situation (with the class action lawsuit) where TD1 status comes into play as well.

Haven't been on this site for a while. Forgot all about this. With a new job where I use my own car to drive to multiple locations daily, between this and the water pumps it may be time for me to look for something else.

Not saying I'm done with VW, but I may have to be until I'm not driving around for work. Sucks because I still like this car (except the crappy DSG lurching at times). Oh yeah and my sagging headliner.

I'm a 2010 so I'm definitely rolling the dice at this point. Not a fan of car payments though. What to do...

CMGTI

Ready to race!
I wonder if I should check mine
Build date: 5/12

hmmmmm

easiest way to tell if you hear a rattling noise when you turn the car on.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
I wonder if I should check mine
Build date: 5/12

hmmmmm

easiest way to tell if you hear a rattling noise when you turn the car on.

Not quite that easy. IMO, every GTI has some rattle at startup due to the DI engine. It's when it's very pronounced (or when there's a change to the startup sound) that someone should be concerned.

Mine has sounded the same since I bought her new.