GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sequential/dynamic rear turn signals

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
The truth is that I believe that the project is finally stopped.
But it must be @zug who confirms it.

he had some issues from what he told me "Hey man I've had some bad luck, turns out the software I used to make my circuit boards has glitches and they stopped supporting the software a year or so ago, so I'm SOL and had to redo a ton of work. Hopefully I'll be ready to take pre orders the week after this upcoming week" I haven't contacted him since this response so I'm not sure if things changed or not.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
he had some issues from what he told me "Hey man I've had some bad luck, turns out the software I used to make my circuit boards has glitches and they stopped supporting the software a year or so ago, so I'm SOL and had to redo a ton of work. Hopefully I'll be ready to take pre orders the week after this upcoming week" I haven't contacted him since this response so I'm not sure if things changed or not.

Thanks for the update!

JNV

Passed Driver's Ed

Tks mk6'12gti
We will be alert to possible developments

zug

Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks for the update!

Tks mk6'12gti
We will be alert to possible developments

Thanks, mk6'12gti! I keep a tab with this thread open in Chrome but I haven't refreshed it in a while!

I am SUPER close to being 100% done with this project. Next on my list is picking which manufacturer will make the driver and LED strips. Then I'll have them make me samples so I can confirm their quality and make a video of what the final product will look like/how to install it/how to switch patterns/etc. I'll put those samples through the ringer to make sure my over-engineered design is as robust as I planned it to be. My plan is to do projects like this as a full-time gig so I want to make sure I'm putting out my absolute best work.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, mk6'12gti! I keep a tab with this thread open in Chrome but I haven't refreshed it in a while!

I am SUPER close to being 100% done with this project. Next on my list is picking which manufacturer will make the driver and LED strips. Then I'll have them make me samples so I can confirm their quality and make a video of what the final product will look like/how to install it/how to switch patterns/etc. I'll put those samples through the ringer to make sure my over-engineered design is as robust as I planned it to be. My plan is to do projects like this as a full-time gig so I want to make sure I'm putting out my absolute best work.

Awesome. Thanks for the update! Please keep us posted. :w00t:

JNV

Passed Driver's Ed

I love reading this news.
Tks zug

zug

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone, I need your input! I'm going to make one last design change before I place an order with the manufacturer I chose. I have been working 7 days a week for a while so I would like to take advantage of my rare day off today.

I want to go back to my original idea of having the driver implemented onto the LED strip as one single component instead of having the driver be a separate component installed inside the car near the tail light harness. Having the driver built into the LED strip reduces manufacturing costs, simplifies installation, and removes the need for a wiring harness to connect the two together. However, the driver has very large electrical parts on it that would require a hole nearly the size of a quarter to be cut in the tail light. I ditched this design a month or two ago because I thought people would be thrown off by a cut that big. Would this scare you guys off?

The only other feasible design is to incorporate the driver at the very end of the LED strip so that the driver is actually mounted outside of the tail light once installed. This would need only a small rectangular cut approximately 1/2" x 1/4" for the LED strip portion. I would need to design and manufacture an end-cap that holds the driver portion in place and fits over the entire driver side to prevent water damage. This would obviously add development time and the final cost would be a little higher but I'm willing to do it if everyone is put off by the quarter-sized hole.

All feedback is welcome! I need to keep you guys in the loop better because I've wasted a lot of time wondering what you guys would prefer instead of just asking you.

Last edited:

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Hey everyone, I need your input! I'm going to make one last design change before I place an order with the manufacturer I chose. I have been working 7 days a week for a while so I would like to take advantage of my rare day off today.

I want to go back to my original idea of having the driver implemented onto the LED strip as one single component instead of having the driver be a separate component installed inside the car near the tail light harness. Having the driver built into the LED strip reduces manufacturing costs, simplifies installation, and removes the need for a wiring harness to connect the two together. However, the driver has very large electrical parts on it that would require a hole nearly the size of a quarter to be cut in the tail light. I ditched this design a month or two ago because I thought people would be thrown off by a cut that big. Would this scare you guys off?

The only other feasible design is to incorporate the driver at the very end of the LED strip so that the driver is actually mounted outside of the tail light once installed. This would need only a small rectangular cut approximately 1/2" x 1/4" for the LED strip portion. I would need to design and manufacture an end-cap that holds the driver portion in place and fits over the entire driver side to prevent water damage. This would obviously add development time and the final cost would be a little higher but I'm willing to do it if everyone is put off by the quarter-sized hole.

All feedback is welcome! I need to keep you guys in the loop better because I've wasted a lot of time wondering what you guys would prefer instead of just asking you.

Thanks for the update. I personally would not mind having the driver integrated into the LED strip inside the housing as long as properly designed gasket is provided to keep water/moisture out.

I am personally ok with either option.

How big is the driver by the way? If it is small enough to be secured inner side of the carpet, the current option would still work.

Look forward to hearing from other members who are interested.

zug

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the update. I personally would not mind having the driver integrated into the LED strip inside the housing as long as properly designed gasket is provided to keep water/moisture out.

I am personally ok with either option.

How big is the driver by the way? If it is small enough to be secured inner side of the carpet, the current option would still work.

Look forward to hearing from other members who are interested.

Thanks for the reply! The driver would very easily be secured behind the OEM carpet and tap into the wiring harness. However, this would require a second hole to be drilled into the tail light to pass the wiring harness through (to connect the driver to the LED strip). I feel like you guys would prefer to cut one large hole instead of cutting two small holes and routing wires. This option would also be about $30 or $40 more expensive than the quarter-sized hole option. Let me know what you guys think.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
EDIT: someone gave me confirmation that the cover does come off of the OEM sets.

Can anyone confirm if the plastic cover that comes on the outer tail lights can be removed on the OEM sets? I believe the set I have here is DEPO and the piece comes off without too much hassle. Pics here of what I mean: http://s349.photobucket.com/user/tomk825/library/Tail%20light%20cover

Have you seen any instructions anywhere on how to best remove the cover from the OEM sets?