GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

5th gear play

nik

Go Kart Champion
I was driving home last night and when I geared down to 5th from 6th I felt a bit of a grind. I figured it was because I may not have pushed the clutch all the way.

As I was sloshing through the gears (mainly 3rd to 6th) I noticed that there was a bit of play in the stick in 5th, I can move it back and forth a bit and it grinds a little bit when it does move. Anyone else have this issue? I didn't have this in my Mazda and I don't feel it in any of the other gears.

DD89

Ready to race!
By a bit of play do you mean you can shift them slightly left and right? Because I noticed that in 2nd gear however I don't get grinding. Grinding in a manual is never good :(

nik

Go Kart Champion
The play is front to back. Like if I rest my hand on the stick it goes up a bit and i can even pull it back a bit out of the sweet spot on the helix gear. It's not really grinding like you would hear if you miss a shift, more a slight vibration like well if were trying to powershift out of gear without hitting the clutch

Ben1

Go Kart Champion
The play is front to back. Like if I rest my hand on the stick it goes up a bit and i can even pull it back a bit out of the sweet spot on the helix gear. It's not really grinding like you would hear if you miss a shift, more a slight vibration like well if were trying to powershift out of gear without hitting the clutch

Nik,

Try out a Dieselgeek shifter Kit like all of other manuals out there - eliminates all kinds of 6speed play through the gears. Seen here:
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8207. I know what you guys mean about the grinding, but most of the time only during powershifts leading to mis-shifts..!

Cheers,
Ben

DD89

Ready to race!

Ah, yea that's definitely just not pushing in the clutch all the way, if I think you're doing what I think anyways.

zecpull1

Ready to race!
It is a 2011 You need to take it back to the Dealer and have it Checked..It is under Warranty..and it should be checked.