GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

zrickety

The Fixer
I like Febi. Our german friends recommend them, the suspension parts are good. Their timing chain has a special coating.

I'm in the middle of the job right now, the old tensioner moves back and forth about 1/4" as I rotate the chain. So I know that it's shot. Just popped in to double check the DIY. Found this TDC pic in another thread, may help someone.
Edit- another pic from a Passat DIY (same engine)

http://replace-timing-belt.com/how-to-replace-timing-chain-on-vw-passat-3c-2-0-tsi/

Attachments

• timing.jpg
    timing.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Just to update...I took the tensioner apart, and it appears it did not fail after all. There is a slot that allows some play when it's locked. One of the new plugs had closed up it's gap, not sure why. I don't know if the chain ever jumped, I made a thread about my ticking noise and it appears to be worn plates in the intake cam.

zrickety

The Fixer

zrickety

The Fixer
:wosschilder980:
I don't know what you're looking for. People are being reimbursed or repaired for free if this fails under the extended warranty. Beyond that, you're on your own. If it hasn't failed, they won't pay.
Edit- it looks like you got rid of your car? VW should have helped you before but I think you got screwed.

Jamister989

I did it! Thanks.

:thumbup:
Hey Jamister989, sounds like you've got the knowledge and research skills to tackle the timing chain job. It was also my first big job on the car and I'm glad I tackled it. Made everything else I've done feel much easier. I have a bunch of notes and pictures in a post in my build thread. Link to the post is in my signature. I've tried to keep it updated as new information becomes available. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions as you research the job.

Hey, just want to give a shoutout to everyone who answered questions and gave encouragement. With a hand from my dad, over the last two weeks I successfully tackled the timing chain replacement. I also did a new clutch, flywheel, IABED rear main seal, water pump gasket and flushed brake, oil, transmission, coolant and blinker fluids.

A few funny bits, all chain tensioners torque settings are 20nm except oil pump chain tensioner which is 9nm. I broke the bolt off in the engine and during extraction the extraction bit shattered and fell off into my oil pan. Took oil pan off and found the bits... so new oil pan gasket as well!

I also spent several hours trying to put on the pendulum(dogbone) support back on upside down..

I couldn't or wouldn't have attempted the step by step guides on this forum, especially the timing chain guide from Tony48. Thanks, I owe ya a beer.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
:thumbup:

Hey, just want to give a shoutout to everyone who answered questions and gave encouragement. With a hand from my dad, over the last two weeks I successfully tackled the timing chain replacement. I also did a new clutch, flywheel, IABED rear main seal, water pump gasket and flushed brake, oil, transmission, coolant and blinker fluids.

A few funny bits, all chain tensioners torque settings are 20nm except oil pump chain tensioner which is 9nm. I broke the bolt off in the engine and during extraction the extraction bit shattered and fell off into my oil pan. Took oil pan off and found the bits... so new oil pan gasket as well!

I also spent several hours trying to put on the pendulum(dogbone) support back on upside down..

I couldn't or wouldn't have attempted the step by step guides on this forum, especially the timing chain guide from Tony48. Thanks, I owe ya a beer.
Glad to hear you got everything done and that info I've posted helped...that's quite a list of upgrades and maintenance! You've tackled some of the most difficult jobs on the car (like the blinker fluid flush :rolleyes:) so pat yourself on the back!

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
I checked my tensioner value back in December when I was at 53k miles and it was at -2.61. Checked it again today at 56k miles and it was at -2.71. Slowly going into the wrong direction so I guess I'll keep an eye on it until it reaches the danger zone at around -4.xx.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I checked my tensioner value back in December when I was at 53k miles and it was at -2.61. Checked it again today at 56k miles and it was at -2.71. Slowly going into the wrong direction so I guess I'll keep an eye on it until it reaches the danger zone at around -4.xx.

This is more a value of measuring timing chain stretch. if you have the old style tensioner you're in danger at any time of catastrophic failure.

CouryT

I emailed the firm behind timingchainlitigation.com and asked for an update. Here is their reply, which I received yesterday:

We are currently awaiting the Court to rule on appeals filed to the order approving the Settlement. If and once the appeals are resolved, the Settlement will become effective and disbursement proceedings for the reimbursements will commence in accordance with the timelines identified in the Settlement Agreement. At this time, we do not know when the appeals will be resolved, but please check back periodically for updates regarding resolution of appeals and timing of the reimbursement payments.

Regards,

Damian A.

Volkswagen Timing Chain Settlement

Claim Administrator