GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension Options for an Awesome Daily Driver or Track Car

Krog29

Ready to race!
Hey Hyde16 you still have the same street setup? Or have you changed it up since the original post?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Hey Hyde16 you still have the same street setup? Or have you changed it up since the original post?

You know what's funny, out of the tutorials I've written I forgot about this one. I have since changed my setup for a coilover kit with additional suspension components. Please see my build thread in my signature and specifically the suspension section.

Krog29

Ready to race!
:thumbsup:

Stinger

Ready to race!
Just wanted to bring my 2 cents to the suspension discussion since I went from OEM to B8/DG to now B14 PSS. Other mods I've made affecting suspension/drive quality are sway bars and a switch from 18" to 17" rims and different tire specs.

I was very happy with the B8/DG set-up which was a marked improvement over OEM. The car was stiffer yet absorbed small and big road damage much better, which allowed me to drive faster more confidently. The only weakness I could point to is the slight remaining sway made obvious on the track. To sum up, great combo for dd and spirited driving but less so for more demanding driving like on the track. Finally, what made me switch to the B14 PSS is pure vanity: I wanted a lowered stance to complement the look I was looking to achieve.

I've now had the B14 PSS for a couple of weeks. The front are at the lowest setting and the rear were set to match the front's height (I will upload pics tonight).

The first obvious difference is how much stiffer the ride is which, in my opinion, is no longer in the upgraded dd category (unless you own an S2000..). The car effectively has zero sway in fast, long or tight turns; it stays flat which is exhilarating. But if the road is uneven or rough, the car bounces uncomfortably, reducing road adherence enough to force me to slow down to get some grip.

Since then, I have modified my front sway bar from hard to soft (front and back) and that seems to reduce the lateral stiffness and allows the shocks to prevent the sway on their own. It's an improvement and I'm sure with other adjustments (shocks height/ endlinks/sway bar) I should find a proper balance, less track dedicated and more dd spirited. I hope.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Just wanted to bring my 2 cents to the suspension discussion since I went from OEM to B8/DG to now B14 PSS. Other mods I've made affecting suspension/drive quality are sway bars and a switch from 18" to 17" rims and different tire specs.

I was very happy with the B8/DG set-up which was a marked improvement over OEM. The car was stiffer yet absorbed small and big road damage much better, which allowed me to drive faster more confidently. The only weakness I could point to is the slight remaining sway made obvious on the track. To sum up, great combo for dd and spirited driving but less so for more demanding driving like on the track. Finally, what made me switch to the B14 PSS is pure vanity: I wanted a lowered stance to complement the look I was looking to achieve.

I've now had the B14 PSS for a couple of weeks. The front are at the lowest setting and the rear were set to match the front's height (I will upload pics tonight).

The first obvious difference is how much stiffer the ride is which, in my opinion, is no longer in the upgraded dd category (unless you own an S2000..). The car effectively has zero sway in fast, long or tight turns; it stays flat which is exhilarating. But if the road is uneven or rough, the car bounces uncomfortably, reducing road adherence enough to force me to slow down to get some grip.

Since then, I have modified my front sway bar from hard to soft (front and back) and that seems to reduce the lateral stiffness and allows the shocks to prevent the sway on their own. It's an improvement and I'm sure with other adjustments (shocks height/ endlinks/sway bar) I should find a proper balance, less track dedicated and more dd spirited. I hope.

so the b14 definitely rides stiffer than B8/DG ?

Stinger

Ready to race!

gti330ex1

Ready to race!

Thanks for the review.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the review! I hope you are happy with your choice. I found the PSS to be a little firm for me for my DD needs, but they are super impressive and I'd love to try them on the tracks or canyons.

Post pics when you can!! :w00t:

Stinger

Ready to race!
Here are a few comparison pics. Please note that my rims are 17x9 with 215x45 Michelin SS tires (a slight stretch):

On B8/DG:

On B8/DG rear:

On B14 PSS:

Last edited:

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
Car looks awesome!

Stinger

Ready to race!
Car looks awesome!

Thanks Aphix (she no princess!)..

... and my apologies to Hyde16 for hijacking your thread. :eek: