GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Excessive Oil Consumption being addressed by Audi Canada

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I heard from a Audi Tech at Midtown Audi that they are replacing Piston and Rings in 2.0T engines in the Audis in Canada with excessive oil consumption. Just throwing this out there for what it worth, I'm not sure if this is a Canada only or just Audi treating their Customers right (and not sure if VW is included).

Anyone aware of this one?

forwardlean

Go Kart Champion
I haven't heard about this at all. Do you know if they're picking up on this in advance or are customers getting the low oil pressure warnings and running into issues?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I haven't heard about this at all. Do you know if they're picking up on this in advance or are customers getting the low oil pressure warnings and running into issues?
I didn't get that info.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the model year range is from 2009 to 2013.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Just in case people needed more info on this, I just had this work done on my 11' a4 under warranty.

The b8 A4 suffered from extreme oil consumption and by extreme I mean my a4 was going through 1qt of oil every 1000km. I know my gti burned oil but NOTHING in comparison to this car. Audi extended the warranty to 7 years or 130k. I had to bring my A4 to Audi where they measured out and put in a specific amount of oil. You need to drive 1000km or until the oil light comes on (whichever comes first) at which point they remove the oil and remeasure it to get an accurate measurement of how much oil was consumed. I failed this test and audi approved the work. I was at 128k km. I actually just got the car back this past Monday and so far 0 oil has been burned with the updated piston and rings.

This extension of the warranty came from a class action from the US where the settlement was to extend the warranty. They then brought that settlement into Canada to avoid a Canadian class action. The only down side was that part of the settlement was that you needed to provide every record for every oil change to prove you took care of the car. There have been documented cases, especially in Canada, where someone missing 1 oil change was denied. For some reason Audi Canada was much more strict with this.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the info, helps support what I wrote, some forum runts seem to think I'm out in left field BUT I get all my info from the Mechanics.

EDIT: For anyone using a Porsche Oil Filler Cap instead of a VW/Audi branded Oil Filler Cap, if you are under warranty be warned that your drive train warranty can be affected, the part may work BUT there is no supporting manufacturers documentation that it is proper for your car, ie. RMS. Take it off and put the VW/Audi one back on before taking it to the Dealer.

Last edited: