GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 05-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #1
JLLG

Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg GTI
Water pump leaking at hose connection.

https://youtu.be/IkS8LF-GMec

Recorded this video just now. In the middle of doing an intake manifold replacement and carbon cleaning. Found a coolant leak by using a leak tester from harbor freight around 15 PSI. I knew the leak was coming from near the water pump but nothing around the water pump seemed to show evidence only on the hose and bottom of the hoses. With a little persuasion or movement on the hose I got the coolant spurt out as shown in the video. I've never had one of these apart but the dealer replaced this under recall around 30,000 miles I currently have 93,000 miles. that connection seems awfully loose to me but I don't have a lot of experience with that. I remove the c clip and try to push on further but it appears to be seated fully. Any thoughts on what to do if anything? I wasn't sure of the normal operating pressure so maybe at a slightly higher pressure it would seal better. However there's definite evidence of leaking over time and I'm just slightly below the low line but I've never had the coolant low come on. Appreciate in advance any help or advice.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
JLLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
JLLG

I found this video that explains how these connections work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91kn...&index=50&t=0s

Ultimately I will probably have to drain coolant to check this but the thing I can't find out, does the upper hose have a serviceable o-ring gasket? From looking for parts, it appears one would have to purchase the entire upper hose. I guess the flange could be damaged or warped?

Any advice appreciated.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:08 PM   #3
ebuuz
Autocross Champion

Drives: Mk6 GTI
The upper hose connector doesn’t have a gasket. Just that metallic clip on the outside. The one underneath (where the thermostat is, there’s a spring inside) does. Mine seems to be leaking from there so I shall attempt replacing the o-ring and hopefully that fixes the leak since I have the BG revision and everything else looks fine. Were you able to find and fix the leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 CW 6 speed. F23T on APR k04 v3.1, APR Carbonio, CTS turboback, Clutchnet 6 puck disc, 034 Street Density motor and transmission mounts, Hawk HPS 5.0, Motul RBF600, Newsouth boost gauge, DieselGeek SS

Dyno vid of my car
ebuuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
JLLG

The leak is definitely at that upper hose connection based on my pressure test. That being said, my plan is the drain coolant, pull hose off and inspect sealing surfaces. I am hoping to find something that can be cleaned off. Otherwise based on my research and if it's the hose, I would have to buy entire upper hose. Worst case a new water pump.

Thanks for the response. I will report back findings.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk