GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 05-31-2019, 10:12 AM   #1639
Wascally Wabbit
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanyesChest View Post
Just ordered the stage 1 IE tune!! So excited to finally get this running on the golf, again big thanks to Mark for helping out with the Powerlink dongle.

My only stupid question is this- I've got an almost full tank of 87.. The tune is made to run 91/93, will I have knock if I tune with 87 sitting in the tank, or should I burn some gas and fill up 1/2 - 3/4 of my tank with premium?

Let us know what you think. I still say stage 1 was the best mod for the money on my car. The intake makes a big difference with stage 1 as well. I drove with the stock airbox for a month or so after going to stage 1 and when I put the UPS intake on I noticed a significant difference. I was really surprised. You've done the intake already so you should be all set.
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #1640
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
Let us know what you think. I still say stage 1 was the best mod for the money on my car. The intake makes a big difference with stage 1 as well. I drove with the stock airbox for a month or so after going to stage 1 and when I put the UPS intake on I noticed a significant difference. I was really surprised. You've done the intake already so you should be all set.
for IE Stage 1 and stock intake (IM), definitely worth every penny. I've used IE Stage2 with the stock IM as well, there maybe no real performance benefit in using IE Stage2 with the stock IM, it does however sound a lot more aggressive and pops and crackle a bit more,.... if "sound" is what floats your boat.

Last edited by MLue1; 06-05-2019 at 03:58 PM. Reason: pops and crackle
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #1641
Rickybobbi
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 golf 2.5 MT / 2013 MB GLK-250
how much hp you get out of stage 1?
2011 GOLF 2.5// LED TAILS // 18" BLACK RIMS // 2 12" KICKER SUBS // REAR EMBLEM BLACKED OUT // FRONT EMBLEM BLACKED OUT // DE-BADGE REAR // LED INTERIOR // HID HEADLIGHTS // 8" ANDROID HEAD UNIT // 35% TINT ALL AROUND // FK STREETLINES // OEM GTI EXHAUST // MK7 STYLE HEADLIGHTS //
Rickybobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #1642
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickybobbi View Post
how much hp you get out of stage 1?
I didn't dyno Stage1 but the bump in torque and drivability coz they remove some of the VW software restrictions makes the car more fun to drive from low to mid-range. Everyone wants more power but if you don't rev the 2.5 with Stage2 it may not be worth it. My son likes Stage1 better than Stage2, so the SRi may come off soon but he is giving it a go for now.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun to rev it to 7K, sounds fantastic like a race car; but not everyone drives that way. I'm glad that I replaced the belts, pulley and tensioners before installing the SRI.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #1643
KanyesChest
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 Amaryllis Red 2.5L
Will be meeting Mark to do the stage 1 tune today, will update this post when it's done!

Update: Stage 1 tune is flashed and WOW. Low end power is waaaaay better, and ringing it out to 6000 is insane. Mark gave me some fast driving tips, and I’m on my way back out to meet with a friend and drive some more.

Last edited by KanyesChest; 06-06-2019 at 09:50 PM.
KanyesChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:51 PM   #1644
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Was Downtown picking up the Golf, they repainted both fender as that was what VW Canada authorized, other pictures were taken and submitted to VW, who knows when they will get back to me.

when I picked up the car the engine stumbled and the EPC light came on, then shut off. After turning off and restarted I got a CEL, the Body Shop said they didn't touch anything mechanical. It was late in the day so I will call the Body Shop Manager, as well my bumper is not fitting properly.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:00 AM   #1645
KanyesChest
Oval Newbie

Came back from a drive around Twyn Rivers Drive in Pickering. Drove with my friends JDM Toyota Caldina GT4-N with 256HP 240lb/ft tq with AWD, and launched it on an empty stretch of road. Surprisingly kept it about even until about 80-85kmh. I credit this to the gains with IE Stage 1, and due to the fact that the Caldina has a slow 4-speed transmission.

Big thanks to Mark for coming by today and helping out with the tune, everyday driving is super fun now, and the inductions sounds seem to be more addicting with the tune too
Old 06-07-2019, 12:18 AM   #1646
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Came back from a drive around Twyn Rivers Drive in Pickering. Drove with my friends JDM Toyota Caldina GT4-N with 256HP 240lb/ft tq with AWD, and launched it on an empty stretch of road. Surprisingly kept it about even until about 80-85kmh. I credit this to the gains with IE Stage 1, and due to the fact that the Caldina has a slow 4-speed transmission.

Big thanks to Mark for coming by today and helping out with the tune, everyday driving is super fun now, and the inductions sounds seem to be more addicting with the tune too
You are welcome Edwin!

Careful driving Twyn Rivers Drive at night, in that neighborhood lots o dog walkers out there in the dark.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #1647
MLue1
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
....the inductions sounds seem to be more addicting with the tune too
If you want we can do the mod on the GTI muffler on your car, so you can switch it on off, let me know.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #1648
KanyesChest
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Careful driving Twyn Rivers Drive at night, in that neighborhood lots o dog walkers out there in the dark.
Definitely saw a couple dog walkers late at night. Combined with the low visibility corners/hills it's definitely a bit of a sketchy drive.

Quote:
If you want we can do the mod on the GTI muffler on your car, so you can switch it on off, let me know.
I may take you up on that if my thirst for sound comes back!