GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

McDowell's black widow build

havocsrt

Ready to race!
Nice - Freektune also recently just installed the F23T in their in-house MK6 :). It's great having some actual independent competition in this space for our cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree and competition will give the MK6 the best tunes possible. Are you running WMI?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

havocsrt

Ready to race!
Nice - Freektune also recently just installed the F23T in their in-house MK6 :). It's great having some actual independent competition in this space for our cars!

I saw you had a leak issue, did you ever determine what caused it? Im in the process of taking the IHI out of my car as i type, i want to learn from others as well

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
I saw you had a leak issue, did you ever determine what caused it? Im in the process of taking the IHI out of my car as i type, i want to learn from others as well

Oil leak was actually a missing bolt on the valve cover. No idea how it went missing, but unrelated to the turbo install. The coolant leak was a poorly crushed washer on the supply line - the one you swap while both turbos are out of the car. Make sure you get the orientation right on that one, and torque it properly! Otherwise, you're going to have to remove the turbo AGAIN :)

havocsrt

Ready to race!
Oil leak was actually a missing bolt on the valve cover. No idea how it went missing, but unrelated to the turbo install. The coolant leak was a poorly crushed washer on the supply line - the one you swap while both turbos are out of the car. Make sure you get the orientation right on that one, and torque it properly! Otherwise, you're going to have to remove the turbo AGAIN :)

Ok so here is a picture of my F23t (color) and the picture of the K04 orientation (black and whit). One of my plugs is on the wrong side...do i still need to make it the same as a standard K04?

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
I can't tell from the pic how you mounted the AP to the windshield - but I discovered the mount fits perfectly on a Garmin GPS suction cup (same size ball!). This lets it sit further from the windshield than the sticky mount, so you can orient it without hitting the windshield

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Yes - you need to swap it. Install is exactly the same as the DIY

Ooh - also, the plug on the F23T had a washer on it -- remove that washer when you swap the position to the lower port! Otherwise the plug will sit out too at and prevent the line from seating fully.

Took me an entire weekend to find that coolant leak.

havocsrt

Ready to race!
I can't tell from the pic how you mounted the AP to the windshield - but I discovered the mount fits perfectly on a Garmin GPS suction cup (same size ball!). This lets it sit further from the windshield than the sticky mount, so you can orient it without hitting the windshield

That is about how mine sits, crazy how it all worked out for you...looks good bro

havocsrt

Ready to race!
Update.....finally got the F23t installed yesterday, topped off coolant and added new oil and filter...recirculated the oil and coolant without the coils plugged in. Then ran the car for about 20 mins to burp it a bit, was running very smooth, no leaks or weird noises. I turned the car off, went inside to update my AP for the F23t baseline map from Stratified, installed in Black Widow.
I started her up and it was misfiring really bad....i let it run a bit so the AP could collect the codes and hoping the computer would work things out......it continued to stutter and stammer bad. I turned her off, flashed it back to the previous map (cobb ots stage 2 93 oct) it continued to do much of the same.

At first i thought it was the F23t map, then i realized that it continued to have the same symptoms and codes read....

Cleared them and started the engine again and they came back and now there is an added ticking sound and the engine dies.

I'm thinking that my cam tensioner may have gone and hoping that i don't have bent valves.

Last edited:

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
That's the worst luck. Hope everything works out ok for you man.

havocsrt

Ready to race!
There is one other thing i want to try tomorrow....i installed the 3 bar MAP before i started my car after the turbo install. So.....the correlation between 3 bar MAP and the MAF may have put me into limp mode and thus causing the problem.
I will uninstall the AP and put the 2.5 MAP in and see if that fixes it.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
There is one other thing i want to try tomorrow....i installed the 3 bar MAP before i started my car after the turbo install. So.....the correlation between 3 bar MAP and the MAF may have put me into limp mode and thus causing the problem.
I will uninstall the AP and put the 2.5 MAP in and see if that fixes it.

Can't imagine it's the MAP sensor ... that really sucks. Have you don't the timing chain tensioner update?

havocsrt

Ready to race!
Can't imagine it's the MAP sensor ... that really sucks. Have you don't the timing chain tensioner update?

No i haven't and I'm hoping my valves are not bent if my tensioner did go out. Fingers crossed.