GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just went Stage 1, now what??

milfdoer

Passed Driver's Ed
Car feels amazing after the tune, no doubt about that. But what should I look into next? There's so many things, anyone got any pointers? I'm already planning on getting the R8 coils just in case anyone was going to mention that. lol

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Well that depends on what you want it to do.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
Do you have summer tires? If not, those will give you a much bigger benefit than stage 2. For now.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Stage I, get an intake, summer tires definitely help, suspension wouldn’t hurt, brakes always an option, R8 coils, new sparks for good measure. Plenty more with stage II and beyond as well. Enjoy stage I for now and try not to get broke in mods lol.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I'd do maintenance (oil change, plugs, fuel filter, carbon cleaning if needed), summer tires, upgraded intercooler, 034 MS rear sway bar, and cai last.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

milfdoer

Passed Driver's Ed
This is my daily, so my goal is just something more fun to drive overall. Not going to be on the track or anything of that sort.

I already have summer tires which I got about 2 years ago. But after this tune I'm spinning even on 3rd gear, that torque is unbelievable. I just got my maintenance done about 2k miles ago, and got new spark plugs at that time as well.

Suspension is definitely on my list and is probably what I'm leaning towards more but just wanted some input from the community is all.

Thanks btw :)

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
since you decided to go stage 1 first and not skip to 2/2+ I would suggest you enjoy the hell out of it first, cause if you just upgrade immediately to stage 2 it was kind of a waste of money going stage 1....I'd suggest r8 coils/upgraded spark plugs, dsg stage 1 tune(if you're automatic), catback for a nice sound, look into suspension with springs or coilovers(maybe you're into bags?), and brakes (very helpful especially after the increase in power I feel people overlook this at first)

Whenever you're thinking of going stage 2, just be aware you'll need upgraded plugs, a cold air intake, and a downpipe

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Intake for noise + bigger rear sway bar made a big difference. Look into doing tensioner as well if you haven't.

As for as getting a downpipe and stage 2. If you live in California you need to consider the biannual smogs when you install a downpipe. You'll have to switch back to stock and run the stage 1 or stage 2 file to pass every 2 years. Not a big deal. Switching intake is easy as well.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Next is big turbo.

milfdoer

Passed Driver's Ed
since you decided to go stage 1 first and not skip to 2/2+ I would suggest you enjoy the hell out of it first, cause if you just upgrade immediately to stage 2 it was kind of a waste of money going stage 1....I'd suggest r8 coils/upgraded spark plugs, dsg stage 1 tune(if you're automatic), catback for a nice sound, look into suspension with springs or coilovers(maybe you're into bags?), and brakes (very helpful especially after the increase in power I feel people overlook this at first)

Whenever you're thinking of going stage 2, just be aware you'll need upgraded plugs, a cold air intake, and a downpipe

Driving this weekend with that extra power, I can definitely agree on better brakes.

What are some good brakes people are running?

Intake for noise + bigger rear sway bar made a big difference. Look into doing tensioner as well if you haven't.

As for as getting a downpipe and stage 2. If you live in California you need to consider the biannual smogs when you install a downpipe. You'll have to switch back to stock and run the stage 1 or stage 2 file to pass every 2 years. Not a big deal. Switching intake is easy as well.

Yea that does sound like a hassle but I'll worry about that later on if I do decide to go stage 2.

What do you mean by tensioner btw?

Next is big turbo.

:thumbsup:

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Preventative maintenance and enjoy it. Everything else has diminishing returns compared to the first ECU flash. Its a slippery downhill slope from there.

Part of me wishes I was done after just stage 1 and better tires.

phuccer1

Ready to race!
Since you also live in LA, I'd recommend an upgraded intercooler cause this car doesn't feel great in August/September. Also lightweight wheels and summer tires, and then suspension work.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Stay at Stage1! lol.

Stage 2 was the real money pit of this car for me. You don't technically need intake with Stage1. Stage 2 you need it plus downpipe. Depending on your clutch wear, you'll need to upgrade that also. Then if the unfortunately happens like mine and you end up blowing your turbo with only 38k miles on the car, you have to decide to replace with OEM or go K04. I went K04, yay! MAS MONEY!

Does it feel worth it? No, it doesn't really.

GTI's best probably at Stage1 which it should of shipped as. Anything higher your spending a lot of $$$ and the returns aren't as high. K04 is pretty expensive with tune costs and hardware and Stage 1 MK7s are practically on par with it. Not sure it's worth it.

Tifore

Ready to race!
Stay at Stage1! lol.

GTI's best probably at Stage1 which it should of shipped as. Anything higher your spending a lot of $$$ and the returns aren't as high. K04 is pretty expensive with tune costs and hardware and Stage 1 MK7s are practically on par with it. Not sure it's worth it.

Crazy to think that’s true. Not saying I disagree with it, I haven’t even researched it, but it takes roughly $8000 to make the Mark 6 in the same level as its predecessor. Nuts.