GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB yes or no?

Zulumk6

What's up y'all!
So i am new to this and just got my first VW ever 2012 GTI. So i want to buy the COBB access port to start. I have read lots of good things about it but have not seen anything that talks about possible damage, is that motor and turbo capable of handling stage 1-2 for a daily driver?

Any other brand option for performance parts?

any tips would help thanks!!

phuccer1

Ready to race!
I have the COBB AP and I love it. Super easy to flash back to stock when needed although that is pretty rare now that I'm far past my 100K warranty. If you are going to purchase brand new, I'd recommend buying from here:

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/

You can get the the COBB AP and a flash tune from Stratified for the same cost as a brand new COBB AP. I just flashed the Stratified tune about a month ago, and it is far better then COBB's OTS tune.

The stock turbo is capable of handling stage 1-2 power for a DD. I don't think it would cause any damage. I've been Stage 1 since COBB released the AP in 2016 with no issues. If anything, it is recommended to get Audi R8 coil packs if you start misfiring on stage 1 and above.

Other then a tune, I think a good set of lightweight rims + summer tires is one of the best upgrades you can make for this car. Have fun!

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the COBB AP and I love it. Super easy to flash back to stock when needed although that is pretty rare now that I'm far past my 100K warranty. If you are going to purchase brand new, I'd recommend buying from here:

http://www.stratifiedauto.com/

You can get the the COBB AP and a flash tune from Stratified for the same cost as a brand new COBB AP. I just flashed the Stratified tune about a month ago, and it is far better then COBB's OTS tune.

The stock turbo is capable of handling stage 1-2 power for a DD. I don't think it would cause any damage. I've been Stage 1 since COBB released the AP in 2016 with no issues. If anything, it is recommended to get Audi R8 coil packs if you start misfiring on stage 1 and above.

Other then a tune, I think a good set of lightweight rims + summer tires is one of the best upgrades you can make for this car. Have fun!

Is the stratified tune still just a handheld device you buy and just plug and play when you get it?

What's up y'all!

So i am new to this and just got my first VW ever 2012 GTI. So i want to buy the COBB access port to start. I have read lots of good things about it but have not seen anything that talks about possible damage, is that motor and turbo capable of handling stage 1-2 for a daily driver?

Has worked very well for me
Have gone from stage 1 to stage 2. Still my daily driver and no isaues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phuccer1

Ready to race!
Is the stratified tune still just a handheld device you buy and just plug and play when you get it?

The COBB AP is the handheld device that you buy to plug in and flash your car. You can download COBB's off the shelf tunes from their website and use those, or you can use tunes from other tuners as well.

Stratified uses the COBB AP as their platform to tune the GTI. If you buy a new AP from Stratified, they include their own tune in the AP and it's the same price as buying a new AP from COBB. I had to pay Stratified about $100 for their flash tune because I bought my AP about 2 years ago. You can pretty much use the AP to switch between any of the files depending on which tune you want to use or if you want to flash back to stock.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Are you DSG or manual? If you're manual, then the clutch will be the weak point of the drive train you have to worry about, not the engine or turbo. I've read in other places you can request a low torque file that should be safe for use with the stock clutch, if you want the get the max power out of the stock turbo though you're going to need a new clutch. If you're DSG then you'll be all set to handle anything the stock turbo can produce I believe.

Connorc

What's up y'all!

Whats up man! Ive had an AP on my 2014 GTI for about 2 years now and almost 30k while tuned and i have had no problems at all! Definitely suggest the stratified tune though because the Cobb OTS tunes aren't known to be the best. Its made the car so much more enjoyable to drive and keeps up with just about any other car out there. Also if you go with an AP you should get an intake and down pipe as well so you can go straight to stage 2 :thumbsup:

Zulumk6

Thank you for the tips guys!! I have a DSG automatic and it’s my first ever automatic car. Have to say I was very skeptical to go auto but my wife also needs to use the car sometimes so it would have been very hard to teach her. Once I drove the DSG tranny I was hooked! It shifts so perfectly and really drives how I use to drive a 6 speed anyway.

Going to pick up the AP really soon. Anyone have an idea if there are any local shops that specialize to GTI’s or any club meets in the Hollywood FL area?

Thanks again!

markus037

Ready to race!
im waiting for cobb to release their dsg tune so i can get the stratified tune at the same time. but im getting tired of waiting so i might just go unitronic.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Currently no, but they said they have been working on it through community datalogs if im not mistaken

Asked recently and they said it's their current priority. No release date yet and I hope they wouldn't try charging $500 for it.

phuccer1

Ready to race!
Asked recently and they said it's their current priority. No release date yet and I hope they wouldn't try charging $500 for it.

I hope so as well, but I don't think they would since they are already selling us an AP. I'm hoping it's only going to be a couple hundred or so.

Connorc

I kinda feel like it may be free for those who have already purchased the AP or at least a pretty good discount. All the other new features have been free so maybe we'll get lucky!

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I kinda feel like it may be free for those who have already purchased the AP or at least a pretty good discount. All the other new features have been free so maybe we'll get lucky!
if you provided the datalog information when they asked (moons ago) they said you would be put on a list to receive discounted DSG tunes. So theres that.