GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPA K04 users need some input

KFahey

Ready to race!
HPA K04 Leak

anyone get a whiney sound coming from this turbo? just trying to figure out if its the turbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWZV-g9o2is

Franco, sound like a boost leak. I had that leak as well where the intercooler hose connects to your pancake pipe. Check that connection.

FYI, I had a new ring, offset coupler, o ring and V-band installed on my turbo. The leak sounds the same and my car randomly struggles to build boost. Sometimes ill peak properly at 25-26 PSI and sometimes it will just slowly build up to 15 PSI when i floor it. Anyone else have this leak or similar symptoms?

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Franco, sound like a boost leak. I had that leak as well where the intercooler hose connects to your pancake pipe. Check that connection.

FYI, I had a new ring, offset coupler, o ring and V-band installed on my turbo. The leak sounds the same and my car randomly struggles to build boost. Sometimes ill peak properly at 25-26 PSI and sometimes it will just slowly build up to 15 PSI when i floor it. Anyone else have this leak or similar symptoms?

I actually had mine welded like the guy a few pages back in this thread. also, ive never experienced any boost issues. i should check for leaks tho anyways.

KFahey

Ready to race!
I actually had mine welded like the guy a few pages back in this thread. also, ive never experienced any boost issues. i should check for leaks tho anyways.
Im talking about a different leak on yours. Not at the turbo outlet assembly but where your intercooler hose connects to your pancake pipe.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Im talking about a different leak on yours. Not at the turbo outlet assembly but where your intercooler hose connects to your pancake pipe.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

oh true, i did spray soapy water on that connection but didnt see any bubbles. I have to take it to a shop tho im like used to the noise now.

jeez

Ready to race!
Glad I found this thread. I get the P1335 code and it's been plaguing my car for months! I also have an HPA K04. Is this something that happens to most HPA K04 users? And all I need to do get under the car and see if it has that ring circled in red above?

I've done countless pressure tests....there's no leaks....but there is a whooshing and whining sound when under load depending on RPM. Limp mode between 2k-3k RPM. Also changed intake, PCV, DV. I'd be super pissed if this is HPA's fault as they already gave me a turbo with a crappy wastegate that I replaced with a Forge one.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Glad I found this thread. I get the P1335 code and it's been plaguing my car for months! I also have an HPA K04. Is this something that happens to most HPA K04 users? And all I need to do get under the car and see if it has that ring circled in red above?

I've done countless pressure tests....there's no leaks....but there is a whooshing and whining sound when under load depending on RPM. Limp mode between 2k-3k RPM. Also changed intake, PCV, DV. I'd be super pissed if this is HPA's fault as they already gave me a turbo with a crappy wastegate that I replaced with a Forge one.

It's not an HPA turbo issue it's a stratified issue. I have the same problem and they have no clue how to fix it. Looking at going back to APR or UM.

jeez

Ready to race!
It's not an HPA turbo issue it's a stratified issue. I have the same problem and they have no clue how to fix it. Looking at going back to APR or UM.

Based on your response in another thread I thought you resolved it by replacing the throttle body. Is this not correct?

Is there anyone else having this problem and is tracking it down to the tune that you know of?

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Based on your response in another thread I thought you resolved it by replacing the throttle body. Is this not correct?

Is there anyone else having this problem and is tracking it down to the tune that you know of?

I have an HPA k04 and stratified protune and have never encountered this issue.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I thought it was the throttle body, but that was causing another issue. The limp mode issue has still persisted.

jeez

Ready to race!

jeez

Ready to race!
no, I have a turbo smart WG with a kinugawa 11psi spring.

Ok so for now, my assumption will be that it's the WGA, maybe the tune doesn't account for it. I need to find people with HPA K04/Forge WGA/Stratified and see if they have had this issue, or ones that have not had it. That's why I created the thread.