GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
grambles423
Limited Activity

Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06gsxr1000 View Post
Theres only so much WORKING for the dealer can do for you! haha... I think it's just time to buy a performance clutch... :-/ one less thing I have to do to get to stage 3...
You work FOR the dealer and cant catch a deal?

Man you need to move away from the sales side and jump into the engineering/design side. Or hell, even the administrative side would suffice.
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
Cryptic1911
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2008.5 GTI TSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maynard View Post
I'm having the same issue - 13K - stage 2 - starting to slip. Getting quotes but have a quick couple of questions. What is the benefit of a the VW dual mass fly wheel in general terms and is it better to go single mass flywheel when the clutch is replaced or try to leverage the current dual mass (if it's still in good enough shape - hard to know until it gets broke open...) or get a new dual mass??
The dual mass flywheel is two pieces. The friction surface rotates over the larger outer piece with the weights, and is dampened by springs. This absorbs engine vibrations, and isolates them from the transmission, which is why alot of single mass clutch setups make rattling noises. This also gives the clutch that vague feel, because it adds spring into the driveline. It's basically a comfort thing, not a performance thing obviously.

Southbend now has a single mass setup that is supposed to not make the rattly noises, so check into that
Cryptic1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
06gsxr1000
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI Autobahn; 2006 GSXR 1000
Its going in the shop... wish me luck... hopefully it gets warranty approved!
2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18689

Last edited by 06gsxr1000; 11-30-2011 at 02:21 PM.
06gsxr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #18
Bill Maynard
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2011 MKVI GTI
Thanks Cryptic... thats exactly what I'm leaning towards. I just got a quote from a local shop. Gonna have to wait until after Christmas as it's not cheap.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #19
OldDirty
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Stg 2 GTI, 2004 R32 Bone Stock
My opinion is that it's morally wrong to try and get your stock clutch replaced under warranty when you are fully aware that it is slipping because you got your ECU tuned.

On top of that the new stock clutch is just going to wear out early again anyway. You are wasting other people's time and money by being selfish and inconsiderate.

Be a man and buy a proper clutch when you toast the stock one due to modifying your car. This is exactly why dealerships give a hard time to people who have modified their cars.....you are giving us all a bad name.
OldDirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #20
Red2011GTI
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI - TR Stage II+
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDirty View Post
My opinion is that it's morally wrong to try and get your stock clutch replaced under warranty when you are fully aware that it is slipping because you got your ECU tuned.

On top of that the new stock clutch is just going to wear out early again anyway. You are wasting other people's time and money by being selfish and inconsiderate.

Be a man and buy a proper clutch when you toast the stock one due to modifying your car. This is exactly why dealerships give a hard time to people who have modified their cars.....you are giving us all a bad name.
Well said.