GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Southbend clutch questions

Namlik

Hello knowledgeable people of the forums. I just got the Southbend stage 2 endurance clutch installed in my Golf R yesterday and was curious if others had the same issue I am having? The chatter at idle is no issue at all, its actually an issue when decelerating from 3k rpm in the first 3 gears. It almost sounds as if something is loose. Now I know its brand new and it needs to be broken in, so I am not driving hard or going over 3k rpm, but was just curious if anyone else had anything similar with a new clutch install. Other than that issue, this clutch is pretty nice. Link to video is below, sorry for the sound/video quality, but on deceleration you should hopefully be able to hear what I am talking about if you turn your sound up some.

http://youtu.be/3C0C1t7AKPM

dubbinit2

Drag Racing Champion
Here is a weird question I guess, what happens if you drive a little tenacious in the break in period.
No hard launches just more spirited then shifting at 3000rpms?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Actually, I think this is technically chatter. Although we mostly use it (incorrectly) to refer to the idle noise. I don't think it's abnormal. Almost impossible to hear in the video btw.

Namlik

Yeah, the chatter at idle is not an issue at all. Its only when decelerating from 3k rpm in the first 3 gears. It is definitely louder in the cabin than what the video makes it out to be. I may try thicker oil and see if that help after the initial break in.