GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #43
NS01GTI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GLI K04
Quote:
Originally Posted by dummy View Post
So HPA sent me some pr0n tonight. Their golf R downpipe is complete and on my car. Now to just wait till Wednesday to go pick it up. Here are some pics. First one is their downpipe (right) next to the stock one (left) and the second one is the new downpipe on the car. I'll post sound clips when I get the R home.

Nice piece. How's the car sound? Does APR have a stage 2 file for you?
K04 Club Member #15 - 2012 GLI DSG
UNITRONIC Tuned K04 - UNITRONIC Stage 2 DSG - UNITRONIC TBE - APR FMIC - Carbonio Intake - Neuspeed TOP - AWE Boost Gauge - HPA SHS COILOVERS - HPA Red Motor Mount
NS01GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #44
dummy
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 12 4d Golf R, 13 2d Golf R, 67 bug
I actually just got back from DJing in Detroit this weekend and work tomorrow and Tuesday night so I am driving up to pick up my R on Wednesday. So, with that being said, I don't know what it sounds like yet. I'm sure it has a bit more growl as there is no resonator but I am sticking with the stock exhaust.

I am going to go get flashed to stage 2 on Thursday. I'm trying to make the decision right now whether to move to the HPA tune or not. Because I am one of their development cars I am probably going to...
Old 04-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #45
andy_uranium
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 mk6 GTI CW, 2004 Acura TSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dummy View Post
I actually just got back from DJing in Detroit this weekend and work tomorrow and Tuesday night so I am driving up to pick up my R on Wednesday. So, with that being said, I don't know what it sounds like yet. I'm sure it has a bit more growl as there is no resonator but I am sticking with the stock exhaust.

I am going to go get flashed to stage 2 on Thursday. I'm trying to make the decision right now whether to move to the HPA tune or not. Because I am one of their development cars I am probably going to...
Was out of town, but let us know MI folks know if your back in town again soon. Where we're you?
2011 CW GTI - DSG, Leather, LED R tails, OEM front lip, color matched side markers, red footwell leds, klii plaid vinyl accents, DG springs, Unibrace XB, UB and RB - OZ supertourismo LMs - Hankook V12 evo
andy_uranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #46
dummy
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_uranium View Post
Was out of town, but let us know MI folks know if your back in town again soon. Where we're you?
I was staying with a friend in Royal Oak, but the show was at Vondies on the river called Bass Goes Boom. If i come back out again I will definitely post. I only saw *7* VWs the entire 3.5 days I was out there. I don't know how you guys can live in domestics hell.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #47
dummy
Touring Car Champion

Just got back from picking up the R from HPA in Canada. In the 2 weeks they had the R they got their 3" stainless steel down pipe with 100 cell cat designed, built, and installed on my car. with the APR stage 1 software the down pipe was good for 20 torque and 13 hp at the wheels.

i promptly drove back to the states and after being hassled by the US border patrol, raced to Achtuning and got flashed to stage 2. if the power came on earlier with the down pipe, it kicks in harder and faster with the stage 2 flash. the difference between stage 1 and stage 2 is almost as spectacular as between stock and stage 1.

the car has a nice growl on acceleration and burble on throttle lift even with the stock muffler. i cannot wait till HPA finishes the cat-back they are designing. all i can say is i saw the mock up and it is going to be a thing of beauty!
Old 08-02-2012, 03:06 AM   #48
dummy
Touring Car Champion

took advantage of the APR summer sale and went stage 2+ today. the difference when adding the fuel pump to a stage 2 car is like the difference between stock and stage 1.

I also ordered the stoptech BBK (black caliper, slotted rotors) for my R along with the rear slotted sport brakes, pads, and stainless lines from Achtuning here in Seattle. the kit is still being shipped so I won't have it for another 2 weeks, but it looks like my current summer rims are going to be my winter rims as the stock talladegas will not clear the talladegas. I guess this means I'll be getting some 19s for the spring.

damnit, I'm turning into a wheel whore.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #49
drhiggens
Oval Newbie

Drives: Golf R
Really nice build your doing here. with all the HPA stuff your are sourcing why did you not go with the HPA SHS coils?
One of the only other R's I have heard of in the seattle area, there are I have only even seen one other on the road. I just pick mine up last week, and put the tail lights on it. have all the stuff for the stage 2+ but I want to do a nice break in first.
drhiggens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #50
dummy
Touring Car Champion

Long term I'd like to go with the KW DDC coils, but they are prohibitively expensive. I've had really good experience in the past with H&R on my last cars so I stuck with them.

I went stage 2+ last week and ordered the StopTech BBK through Achtuning. The brakes should be here in a week or so then I can get them installed.

PM me if you'd like to meet up somewhere. There are quite a few Rs in the Seattle area, but not many that have been modded.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #51
dummy
Touring Car Champion

Saturday I installed the StopTech ST40 BBK on my R with rear slotted rotors, sport stop pads and stainless steel lines. The install took about 3 hours for the full install and brake bleed before taking the R out for the bed in process. Since the reps I had on my car didn't clear the calipers (per the wonderful template StopTech provides), I was lucky enough to have a friend who was looking to get rid of some VMR 710s for a great price and get my tires swapped over to them...

StopTech recommends 2 sets of 10 braking events from 60mph down to 10mph in rapid fashion to get the brakes up to temperature and bed them in. Finding a road in the Seattle area to do this on was a bit interesting but I settled on Aurora because of the speed limit and multiple lanes. I was able to do the first set of stops in less than a mile with my hazards on and by the 10th stop, the brakes really started to bite. By the end of the 2nd set, the stopping force was pretty close to violent when pressed to 80-90% of max braking.

And now for a little bit of brake pr0n:

Front:

Back:

Last edited by dummy; 09-18-2012 at 08:35 PM.
dummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #52
meph
Oval Champion

Drives: .:R
You need to update this! With the new wheels

Flickr
|

Seattle Golf Rs & friends
meph is offline   Reply With Quote