GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MASTER CLUTCH APPLICATION GUIDE - WHAT DO WE REALLY NEED?

Ah, okay. Thank you. Seems like the engagement is super oem-like on the stage 2 endurance. But I dont understand, its not good for street use?

The TZ can be smooth but not nearly as smooth as the KV which is the FX200. Problem with Kevlar is that it can not handle being over heated which can happen in really long stop/go drives. It also seems to wear out quickly on really heavy cars which is why CM started offering the Fibertuff that is on their new FX350.

I'm sort of confused about the two versions of Stage 2 Endurance clutches shown on the Ringer Racing website:

http://www.ringer-racing.com/product...&categoryId=85

Stage 2 - HD-TZ (Endurance)

•Contains a modified high performance HD pressure plate with a heavy duty Kevlar lined disc. The metal backed Kevlar linings provide a smooth engagement and have the torque capacity to handle high horse power, high revving engines.

Stage 2 - HD-OFE (Endurance)

•Contains a modified high performance pressure plate with a A Feramic full face lining on the flywheel side and a Medium Metal content Organic lining on the pressure plate side. This combination runs cooler and significantly extends the clutch life.

•HD-TZ = 425 ft lbs
•HD-OFE = 450 ft lbs

So if the HD-TZ with its Kevlar lined disc isn't ideal for daily stop-and-go driving, is the HD-OFE more suitable for such uses? My daily commute is ~6.5miles of stop and go city driving and I'd like something that will eventually be able to hold up to K04 power. I doubt I will ever Auto X, but once I get a clutch installed it will probably see 1 or 2 trips to the drag strip (street tires only) each year.

The OFE is the disk they use for the drop in disk. It is their normal stage 2 endurance but I also offer the TZ stage 2 which is what they used to offer before changing their line-up back in 2010.

Their old line up was.
Stage 1 Rally (HD-O)
Stage 2 HD-TZ
Stage 3 HD-OFE
Stage 4 SS-OFE
Stage 5 SS-FE

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Anyone else's head spinning yet? Southbend has the heavier flywheel right by 2lbs? Thinking about going w/ the setup w/ a slightly heavier fw for less noise.

Kind of skeptical going for the stage 2 daily if I ever went K04 because of the 400tq limit. APR lists the K04 w/ turboback @ 380tq. Add in an intake, IC, and some other supporting mods and I'm sure your right at or around the 400tq limit. I'm hoping/assuming that South Bend is conservative with these numbers...

Dangit this aint easy.

Coogles

Go Kart Newbie
The TZ can be smooth but not nearly as smooth as the KV which is the FX200. Problem with Kevlar is that it can not handle being over heated which can happen in really long stop/go drives. It also seems to wear out quickly on really heavy cars which is why CM started offering the Fibertuff that is on their new FX350.

The OFE is the disk they use for the drop in disk. It is their normal stage 2 endurance but I also offer the TZ stage 2 which is what they used to offer before changing their line-up back in 2010.

Their old line up was.
Stage 1 Rally (HD-O)
Stage 2 HD-TZ
Stage 3 HD-OFE
Stage 4 SS-OFE
Stage 5 SS-FE

So would you say the OFE is smooth and suitable for daily stop & go driving? The revised SB kits seem to be a bit quieter than the CM kits and, at $1,050, the Stage 2 Endurance seems like a good deal.

So would you say the OFE is smooth and suitable for daily stop & go driving? The revised SB kits seem to be a bit quieter than the CM kits and, at $1,050, the Stage 2 Endurance seems like a good deal.

Yes it is a good daily driver setup, I haven't had any customers have a issue with it on their daily driver. The down side to the OFE is that if the clutch is slipped for too long the full face Feramic material can get too hot and then weld itself to the PP, but this seems to only be an issue with people that like to launch their car often.

Anyone else's head spinning yet? Southbend has the heavier flywheel right by 2lbs? Thinking about going w/ the setup w/ a slightly heavier fw for less noise.

Kind of skeptical going for the stage 2 daily if I ever went K04 because of the 400tq limit. APR lists the K04 w/ turboback @ 380tq. Add in an intake, IC, and some other supporting mods and I'm sure your right at or around the 400tq limit. I'm hoping/assuming that South Bend is conservative with these numbers...

Dangit this aint easy.

If your concerned with gear rattle then yes the heavier flywheel will be the better option but that 2 lbs isn't going to be a huge difference. SB used to offer a 20 lbs steel flywheel and a 17 lbs steel flywheel for the A4 1.8t 5speed/6speed, then after some time they stopped making it at 20lbs because there was no difference in gear rattle between it and the 17 lbs version.

As for the tq limits of the clutch, have to take in account that power limit is while the car is moving at speed when you get into the power. When you increase the load by being in a higher gear at a lower rpm then normal or when launching a car the amount of tq being applied to the clutch has increased, can be as high as 50% more when launching with really sticky tires like DR's or Slicks.

Last edited:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Seems like Mike is suggesting for something stronger if I were to plan on going K04. project92raddoslc's comment leads me to believe that South Bend makes these estimates conservative. Or maybe they factor in the higher load into their torque ratings.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Pics of the new southbend stage 2 daily silent

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Looks like a quality piece ^^

Anyone (Mike or Dave) know if the SBC kits will fit a stock dmfw unmodified?

butchered by autocorrect

Looks like a quality piece ^^

Anyone (Mike or Dave) know if the SBC kits will fit a stock dmfw unmodified?

butchered by autocorrect

For it to work on the DMF it would have to be a unsprung hub, but from the looks of it SB doesn't offer a kit for the MK6 2.0T without a single mass flywheel which is odd seeing that CM does. So for SB the only options are full kit with steel flywheel or the drop in disk for the OEM Luk PP and DMF.

AaronC1

Ready to race!
**Added
Just talked to SB and I can offer them at the prices I first posted up which is the price that SB has on their site at this time, once SB changes their prices on their web site then my prices have to go up too.

So these prices are what I will be offering them at for now.
Stage 2 Daily = $950
Stage 2 Endurance = $1050
Stage 3 Daily = $1350
Stage 3 Endurance = $1400

Is this for the old disk setup then? Meaning not the updated Exedy disk people are talking about.

Yes, my head is spinning, somebody said that......somewhere......sometime.

Is this for the old disk setup then? Meaning not the updated Exedy disk people are talking about.

Yes, my head is spinning, somebody said that......somewhere......sometime.

It should be for the updated clutch kit since that is how they are building their their MK6 2.0T clutch/flywheel kits. Their actual retail prices are higher but because their web site has the lower prices they said I can sell them at that price since that is what my wholesale discount is based off till further notice.

I will call SB up tomorrow and ask Jon if the kits I order are going to be the ones with the Exedy disk. I don't think they would build 2 different clutch setups for the same part number at this point.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
So when I left work last night it was 67F! For comparison, last week, it averaged about 20F with varying days in the teens. I went WOT and had ZERO slip! woooooooot :) I mean, I knew the cold exacerbated the problem, but maybe I can live with this for a little while longer. I shouldn't be romping on it anyway in the winter...