GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

awe downpipe vs other brand 3 in downpipe

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
Humph, I had no idea the AWE system was 2.5" all the way back, I thought it was still a 3" downpipe. I'd have just bought that instead of my USP 3 inch catted downpipe and Magnaflow 2.5 inch catback haha.

Might have to swap out one day to try it out.

Kei

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Humph, I had no idea the AWE system was 2.5" all the way back, I thought it was still a 3" downpipe. I'd have just bought that instead of my USP 3 inch catted downpipe and Magnaflow 2.5 inch catback haha.

Might have to swap out one day to try it out.

Kei

Why do you want the smaller downpipe?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Anything above the stock turbo i would personally do a 3" downpipe and then let the catback tapper to 2.5"

so would i. you do not want the smaller AWE downpipe off a K04 turbo.

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
Why do you want the smaller downpipe?
I would prefer the faster response and overall powerband since the 3" always seemed like a large option to me anyway, I just didn't KNOW they made any smaller than that. I no longer have any plans to go to a larger turbo now that I have the newest APR V2.1 tune, it's plenty in this car for me, so the powerband may be better off with the smaller downpipe anyway.

Kei

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I would prefer the faster response and overall powerband since the 3" always seemed like a large option to me anyway, I just didn't KNOW they made any smaller than that. I no longer have any plans to go to a larger turbo now that I have the newest APR V2.1 tune, it's plenty in this car for me, so the powerband may be better off with the smaller downpipe anyway.

Kei

Wait so you want more torque down low? I was reading that the APR V2 was TOO much torque down low and people were complaining about drive-ability.

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
Wait so you want more torque down low? I was reading that the APR V2 was TOO much torque down low and people were complaining about drive-ability.
It'll to more than just torque down low, it should spool faster so the throttle response is better as well as likely help in the mid range rpms.

I haven't heard anyone say that the V2/2.1 has bad drive-ability down low at all! It's leagues better than any of the tunes I've had on my car (all the old APR tunes and Eurodyne tunes as well) for being able to use the power smoothly. It's about a billion times better than any time on these cars I've even driven, not to say the others are 'bad', just that they feel like tunes, this feels like OEM which is incredible to me, and still blows my mind how much better it is than before.

Kei

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
It'll to more than just torque down low, it should spool faster so the throttle response is better as well as likely help in the mid range rpms.

I haven't heard anyone say that the V2/2.1 has bad drive-ability down low at all! It's leagues better than any of the tunes I've had on my car (all the old APR tunes and Eurodyne tunes as well) for being able to use the power smoothly. It's about a billion times better than any time on these cars I've even driven, not to say the others are 'bad', just that they feel like tunes, this feels like OEM which is incredible to me, and still blows my mind how much better it is than before.

Kei

Ahhh ive got no experience with APR just reiterating stuff ive read on here. How much of a increased spool are you expecting to get by reducing diameter back to stock(?isnt stock 2.5"?)?

siupo1281

Ready to race!
but the awe car is using their awe k04 ki and their awe tbe and they claim they have the best track record right?

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
Ahhh ive got no experience with APR just reiterating stuff ive read on here. How much of a increased spool are you expecting to get by reducing diameter back to stock(?isnt stock 2.5"?)?
Not sure how much I could expect honestly, but I'm a crazy science guy who loves to test anything I can lol. Also I think the overall powerband will be even sweeter in the mid range since the new APR tunes fatten that the most anyway now making high revs (6k and up) less enticing to me on this engine.

Kei

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
but the awe car is using their awe k04 ki and their awe tbe and they claim they have the best track record right?

They have a record with seats removed, slicks, and a giac extreme file if im not mistaken.