GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing engine/transmission mount

zync

Ready to race!
I'm at 101k with stage 1 and my mechanic is recommending to replace both and my sepertine belt. What are good mounts or is OEM fine? I'm being charged 320 to have them install it. Not sure if that's fair. But 109 for the engine mount and 85 for the tranny mount seems ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zync

Ready to race!
If you want a performance upgrade consider poly mounts or even the street density 034 motor/trans mounts. They will be stiffer and put power down better than oem.

$320 seems high. It takes less than an hour to do both sides.

Thank you man! Really appreciate you. They said 4-5 hours to install both mounts and I was immediately skeptical about this. [emoji109][emoji109]

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
Thank you man! Really appreciate you. They said 4-5 hours to install both mounts and I was immediately skeptical about this. [emoji109][emoji109]

Passenger side mount literally takes 20m.

Driver side, a little longer cause you have to remove the airbox, battery and battery tray but in reality.. its not more than an hour, maybe 1.5hrs to do both sides.

zync

Ready to race!
Passenger side mount literally takes 20m.

Driver side, a little longer cause you have to remove the airbox, battery and battery tray but in reality.. its not more than an hour, maybe 1.5hrs to do both sides.

Thank you for your feedback mate! What should I tell my mechanic? That I read people are installing these in no more than 2 hours? Appreciate you.

zync

Ready to race!
Go to a different mechanic all together. Either this guy doesn't know what he's talking about or is trying to rip you off a little. Either way, go somewhere else.

What do you think is a decent price to install them both?

joebrowntech

Before you get the engine or transmission mount replaced in your vehicle, it’s better to consult the user manual of your vehicle and know well about the specifications of these.
And if you do not possess the user manual, now it’s easy to download it online. All you need to do is visit the website manuals.co and get all the desired user manuals absolutely free of costs.

somerset91

Ready to race!
I have a mk5 GTI, which has the FSI engine. I went with the Torque Solution 75 durometer mounts (both engine and tranmission mounts) when I upgraded to a South Bend stage 2 clutch. The vibrations are very manageable. I haven't tried with the A/C on, but if the vibrations are this subtle with an aftermarket clutch, I'd recommend in a heartbeat.

Throttle response still isn't as sharp as a naturally aspirated engine, but then again my dogbone mount is stock and I haven't done a carbon cleaning (at 73k miles)

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I'm running the CTS mounts - basically a copy of the 034 density line. I didn't notice an increase in NVH after the install.

The dogbone system is what affects cabin vibrations the most.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I'm running the CTS mounts - basically a copy of the 034 density line. I didn't notice an increase in NVH after the install.

The dogbone system is what affects cabin vibrations the most.
Well yeah when you have rubber bushings in the mounts. I felt the dog one and subframe combo added the least amount of nvh. Motor and trans were much more significant

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Well yeah when you have rubber bushings in the mounts. I felt the dog one and subframe combo added the least amount of nvh. Motor and trans were much more significant

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

well I'm running the APR dogbone and 034 lower puck mount, so anything the engine and trans mounts added was lost in that.

The Fluidampr made a huge difference, though. Even with the stiffer mounts, the only noticeable difference is at idle with the A/C on, and even then it's perfectly tolerable.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
But to answer the original question, $320 doesn't seem out of line for the job. At $195 for parts, that's an hour of labor, which is about right.