GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My modest build

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I've got the Braille #11 battery as well. I live in CT and installed it in the fall of last year. I made it through the whole winter with some really cold temps and the car started right up every time. You shouldn't have any issues with it over there!

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
I have heard about this happening to most carbon-fiber parts. It's unfortunate considering the real weight benefit :(

Good to know that the battery is keeping its head up :thumbup:

Yea its particularly a problem out here... the sun bakes off that clear coat. Right now it still looks good but you can see from a certain angle that it wont last long

I've got the Braille #11 battery as well. I live in CT and installed it in the fall of last year. I made it through the whole winter with some really cold temps and the car started right up every time. You shouldn't have any issues with it over there!

I think it was you or someone else who from the north east (VT maybe) that convinced me. If you guys are able to run them through the winter i should have no issues like you said

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I think it was you or someone else who from the north east (VT maybe) that convinced me. If you guys are able to run them through the winter i should have no issues like you said

Yup, the guy from VT convinced me as well lol. No regrets yet! Even followed the DIY guide for mounting it using bolts from lowes/home depot. Was real easy. I was surprised that I actually felt the weight difference up front when I swapped it in.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Cool mod overview vid and I like your direction :thumbsup: Yeah, suspension work will tighten things up a bit. Also, installing another BRIDE seat for the passenger will drop some additional LB's :thumbup: I'm still considering lighter seats and a carbon hoodie to drop LB's thanks to your build-thread. This mod shit is never ending :bonk:

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Cool mod overview vid and I like your direction :thumbsup: Yeah, suspension work will tighten things up a bit. Also, installing another BRIDE seat for the passenger will drop some additional LB's :thumbup: I'm still considering lighter seats and a carbon hoodie to drop LB's thanks to your build-thread. This mod shit is never ending :bonk:

Thanks for the comments dude!

Yea hard to get the suspension any tighter than it already is. With 4 chassis braces a decent spring/shock combo and mounts... really the only thing left is bushings. That will be around the 100k mark.

I almost bought two bride seats but im the only one between me and my wife with a bony ass (thank god). Seriously these seats are real snug>

Dude the mods really dont end. But who cares? this is a forever car for me. I have 0 interest in selling it or getting something different. might as well make it what i want. Especially since its paid off :)

Thanks for the comments dude!

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
So a few updates.

I took the vinyl wrap off as it was starting to peel in its second summer of over 115 degrees. BTW the vinyl wrap weights just over 5lbs.

The carbon fiber hood has been fading at a ridiculous pace. I am going to try and get it recleared before big socal euro

Toying with different ideas on future mods... new tune, wheels or throttle body... not sure

PFA

20953230_10105336224779655_4455301729338266614_n.jpg

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
So a few updates.

I took the vinyl wrap off as it was starting to peel in its second summer of over 115 degrees. BTW the vinyl wrap weights just over 5lbs.

The carbon fiber hood has been fading at a ridiculous pace. I am going to try and get it recleared before big socal euro

Toying with different ideas on future mods... new tune, wheels or throttle body... not sure

PFA

View attachment 56028

How much weight would a paint job on the hood net you? I've recently seen a Mk6 GTI with carbon fiber hood and front fenders color matched. Obviously, if you want the cabron scene points, this not the route to go, but the paint/clear seems to hold up much better to the elements than gel-coated carbon no? Just a thought.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
How much weight would a paint job on the hood net you? I've recently seen a Mk6 GTI with carbon fiber hood and front fenders color matched. Obviously, if you want the cabron scene points, this not the route to go, but the paint/clear seems to hold up much better to the elements than gel-coated carbon no? Just a thought.

well ive been thinking about a respray down the road anyways. for now i think i just want to reclear the hood to give some contrast to an otherwise regular black gti

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Went back down to Cool It Window tint in Upland CA to get my Carbon fiber hood wrapped.

Im sorry I dont have any before pictures of how bad the resin/clear coat got... but it was BAD. Like grotesque. Only took 6 months in some harsh ass desert to get it to fad beyond the ability of restoration.

I kinda knew this was going to happen but with big socal euro tomorrow I needed to get my car more presentable.

Got a new type of 3m wrap that has a protective layer to better prevent from scratches. Armando down at coolit did an excellent job working around the hood pins even though there is no removing them.

The gloss black wrap looks REAL close to deep pearl black. Only when you get right up next to it do you realize that there is no fleck in it and therefore a wrap.

21231263_10105384553673165_4839404886786605793_n.jpg
21231682_10105384553812885_6203295196401086130_n.jpg

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
So I havent posted in a while but ALOT has been going on with the car.

Picked up some Team Dynamic wheels used
$_58.JPG

They do not look this good; beat up and rashed but i really dont care as im getting them refinished in bronze anyways. The main goal here was saving 4lbs per corner of rotational mass. 16lbs total. The car will be getting re-weighed tomorrow.

Also i cleaned my damn engine bay! Gnarly sandstorm put LAYERS of sand everywhere in the engine.
22688356_10105539157381095_2194391319814820368_n.jpg
22730507_10105539157191475_1795108306337383847_n.jpg

Next weekend is a track day at Streets of Willow. I intend to not be slow this time. hahaha.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
So I havent posted in a while but ALOT has been going on with the car.

Picked up some Team Dynamic wheels used
View attachment 56373

They do not look this good; beat up and rashed but i really dont care as im getting them refinished in bronze anyways. The main goal here was saving 4lbs per corner of rotational mass. 16lbs total. The car will be getting re-weighed tomorrow.

Excited to see how they look on the car once they are refinished. Great going :thumbsup: