GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driving the GTI way up north in Alaska?

I was hoping the Canadians (or any Alaskans) on the board will give me some pointers on what to expect with the roads in Alaska during the summer. I'll be up there all summer and I'm putting the GTI on the ferry so as not to have to drive the AlCan when there is frost heave.

Worried a little about pot holes and mud. Wish I could take my truck for the fishing and all I mean to do up there but cost and room on the boat have made that impossible. Hope I don't come back in the fall with a ruined ride. Am I nuts?

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Pick up some smaller wheels to give you some more sidewall if you're that worried. Then sell them used when you get back.

I put in a call to my tire store but what do you figure a set a 15 or 16" steelies and tires would set me back? Hopefully I can find some used ones.

Charlie Sheen

Ready to race!
Yes you are nuts ;)

I ride 18'' all year long and I never had any problem. Yes, there's potholes. But just don't drive straight into them. Try to avoid them the best you can. It's not Vietnam neither...

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
I think a few guys are selling some 16" setups. I'm not sure if a 15" will clear the GTI brakes. TireRack can hook you up for pretty cheap with steelies and a decent set of all seasons.

Yes you are nuts ;)

I ride 18'' all year long and I never had any problem. Yes, there's potholes. But just don't drive straight into them. Try to avoid them the best you can. It's not Vietnam neither...

Had a stroke of genius (happens from time to time despite myself, haha) and went to the dealer and worked out to trade (plus an oil change once I have to start paying for them) - the stock setup Detroits and rubber which have been in my garage for 6 months for the wheel/tire combo off of a stock Golf. Maybe not the best deal but I don't want to dick around with shipping them and I found a limited (read 0) market for the detroit's here in town.

My RS's and summer tires will stay safe and sound in my garage in NM to be put back on when the job is over and I get back home.

Charlie, I take it Winning is Alaska? Which part?

Charlie Sheen

Ready to race!
Had a stroke of genius (happens from time to time despite myself, haha) and went to the dealer and worked out to trade (plus an oil change once I have to start paying for them) - the stock setup Detroits and rubber which have been in my garage for 6 months for the wheel/tire combo off of a stock Golf. Maybe not the best deal but I don't want to dick around with shipping them and I found a limited (read 0) market for the detroit's here in town.

My RS's and summer tires will stay safe and sound in my garage in NM to be put back on when the job is over and I get back home.

Charlie, I take it Winning is Alaska? Which part?

No, Winning is Canada and not Alaska, but I've been there. Of course, you will want to have an F150 or a Skidoo to go there, but the GTI will do the job. You won't destroy your car if you drive carefully / slowly ;)

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
Should be fine if you stick to the main roads, I know of a guy who rips around in an M3 in Yellowknife all summer long.

KAH1

Passed Driver's Ed
what to expect with the roads in Alaska during the summer?
Road construction and RVs same as MN.

I live in Alaska and drive my GTI in the summer on 18" and winter on 16" with studs. Most of our roads paved roads are ok especially the highways tourist are likely to frequent.

If you plan on some of the longer gravel roads washboarding and potholes can be bad, I'd have the most apprehension over the frost heaves but you need to be up north where the roads go over the permafrost.
Where are you planing to travel? We are a big State but have few roads.
barrow.jpg
not my house i live in balmy Southcentral

No, Winning is Canada and not Alaska, but I've been there. Of course, you will want to have an F150 or a Skidoo to go there, but the GTI will do the job. You won't destroy your car if you drive carefully / slowly ;)

Thanks, knowing we have a sizable Canadian contingent I figured you guys would be the ones with good advice. I was right.

Most of the time I'll be in a company truck during the day so I won't worry except running for groceries or what have you. But the weekends and time off are when it would be nice to have the 4x4. I do have a couple buddies who've been up there for a number of years now and have all the toys and such so I'll just have to be a moochin' mofo. :smoking:

what to expect with the roads in Alaska during the summer?
Road construction and RVs same as MN.

I live in Alaska and drive my GTI in the summer on 18" and winter on 16" with studs. Most of our roads paved roads are ok especially the highways tourist are likely to frequent.

If you plan on some of the longer gravel roads washboarding and potholes can be bad, I'd have the most apprehension over the frost heaves but you need to be up north where the roads go over the permafrost.
Where are you planing to travel? We are a big State but have few roads.

Thanks for the info, and nice signs in front of the casa. Frost heave was a concern on the AlCan, not so much I guess in southern parts where I'll be mostly. I do figure mud will probably keep me out of a fair number of places.

We don't have many roads either, or RVs for that matter, in southern New Mexico and no exposure to far north road conditions at all. I've lived where it snows more but not where perma-frost comes into play. Lucky if it snows once a year here.

Went to Alaska on vacation for a couple weeks back in '97 and stayed mostly on major roads, but since I'll be there 4 months this time I want to hit some things that aren't so touristy if I can. Be staying near Big Lake in some sort of rental. I'm pretty stoked.

KAH1

Passed Driver's Ed
If you are here for 4 months with a car the not so touristy stuff will just happen no worries.

Some of the roads around Big Lake are gravel if they are in regular use they stay in pretty good shape

You will be less than an hour and a half from downtown Anchorage mostly easy highway driving.
There you can find the States only VW dealership.

You will want to Fish on the Kenai head up to Denali (you will have to take a bus into the park so your car can rest then). Hit Fairbanks and maybe even go above the Arctic Circle to Coldfoot just to give that GTI some bragging rights.

If you are a Tuner or our 65 mph speed limit is boring you, you could head over to the Alaska Raceway in near by Palmer and burn up some tires.

You will be in the hart of Palin County on Big Lake assume everybody packing

NM MN always double check directions from a dyslexic…. I have lived in Minneapolis and Albuquerque so I'll stand by that Road construction and RVs comment

If you are here for 4 months with a car the not so touristy stuff will just happen no worries.
Good on the dealership, it's nice to know that. I'll be packing too but I don't get that rowdy these days :Dso there won't be any issues. Need to be able to deal with any wildlife that becomes a problem. That's not very likely either, least I hope, but it could happen.

Lots of good stuff, arctic circle does hold a certain appeal, thanks again.

Made it. Sixteen days on the highways - including the Alaska Marine Highway. Hell of a trip and a big surprise when I got here.

All packed up

Outside the motel in Anchorage this morning

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I am really curious about your trip. Post up some bigger pics.

I was going to chime in that alaska in summer is pretty good and their roads are actually better than cali roads ;)