GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driving the GTI way up north in Alaska?

I am really curious about your trip. Post up some bigger pics.

I was going to chime in that alaska in summer is pretty good and their roads are actually better than cali roads ;)

Will do, I've got some really nice ones on my camera.

Bigger pics, should be in chronological order from Bellingham, WA to Whittier, AK

You can see I kept my wheels on

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
16 days of driving.....wow. Glad you made it there without issues. That's some awesome scenery.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Great pics ! How did your GTI perform? MPG etc?

McQueen77

Banned
i bet the roads in alaska are better than the roads in los angeles.

nice man, id love to take a road trip up to alaska.

The car loves sea level, i live at 4500 feet, and thick air plus the cold temp, high of 35 or so, are very, very noticable. Averaged just over 30 mpg for the trip from Las Cruces to Bellingham WA. Bst driving was through the Mt Shasta area. Speed limits on I-5 are low. Roads in Anchorage are fine but you can see all kinds of patched potholes. Good on the city for keeping up with them they must have a big crew.

Just to be clear, the marine highway is a ferry so it spent four and half days belows decks serving as a dog house for the pooch. No messes, TG. Counts as a road tho since you drive on and drive off...so a biker I met on board told me.

Last edited:
what to expect with the roads in Alaska during the summer?
Road construction and RVs same as MN.

I live in Alaska and drive my GTI in the summer on 18" and winter on 16" with studs. Most of our roads paved roads are ok especially the highways tourist are likely to frequent.

If you plan on some of the longer gravel roads washboarding and potholes can be bad, I'd have the most apprehension over the frost heaves but you need to be up north where the roads go over the permafrost.
Where are you planing to travel? We are a big State but have few roads.

not my house i live in balmy Southcentral

What do you do for gas? I've only been able to find 90 octane.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Pictures look awesome! Enjoy it up there. Is your car stock? If so, 90 oct. will be fine.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Magnificent, thanks, post more if you get a chance.

KAH1

Passed Driver's Ed
What do you do for gas? I've only been able to find 90 octane.

90 is as good as it gets she will run fine on 90, your mpg might drop a little but being at sea level should get some of that back.

Welcome to AK. hope you enjoyed our late May snow. Winter 2011-12 was the snowiest on record(over 10 feet) for Anchorage and 2012-13 was the longest(232 days from first to last snow fall) on record assuming we are done now.

Watch out for our moose there every where and the ones about to have calfs and ornery give all of them there space tell your dog the same.

Ij1EA.jpg

BarryT82

Go Kart Champion
Why did it take 16 days? I have a friend who just drove from Anchorage to Virginia in less than a week (4,500 miles).