GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #57
grambles423
Limited Activity
 
grambles423's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 18,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
always wondered this... after you install.. and before you have a K04 flash..

is the K04 on simple stage 1 (or stock) program faster, or do you need the KO4 tune before you start feeling any power increase?
I was told to either unplug my MAF and drive casually before I got my tune.

Logically, the N75 will react differently on the K04 as opposed to the IHI VTR501. So a duty cycle that is ok for Stage 1 might surge the hell out of the K04 and cause damage. You cant boost wide open at lower RPMs, but this all depends on what the K04 can do physically relative to what the ECU is trying to MAKE it do.

Stage 1 and 2 tuning are optimized for the IHI. You can always slap a K04 on there with stock exhaust and intake and have that OEM feeling with almost as much (if not more) power than a stage 2, if that's what you're looking for.
__________________
UnNaturally Aspirated
APR Stage 1- ECS Dogbone
Driver Gear Springs-Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #58
GunKata
Jawnie Sanders
 
GunKata's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Pcar, '06 Momvan
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Jaber's Basement
Posts: 60,582
Z - the APR kit doesnt include a new DV?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniGLH View Post
Everybody knows GunKata > *.*

No GunKata, no care.


Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network


I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #59
grambles423
Limited Activity
 
grambles423's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 18,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
Z - the APR kit doesnt include a new DV?
Nope. I purchased it separately from ECS among other things. You can get it cheaper at Keffer
__________________
UnNaturally Aspirated
APR Stage 1- ECS Dogbone
Driver Gear Springs-Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #60
plac
Guest
 
Drives:
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by grambles423 View Post
I was told to either unplug my MAF and drive casually before I got my tune.

Logically, the N75 will react differently on the K04 as opposed to the IHI VTR501. So a duty cycle that is ok for Stage 1 might surge the hell out of the K04 and cause damage. You cant boost wide open at lower RPMs, but this all depends on what the K04 can do physically relative to what the ECU is trying to MAKE it do.

Stage 1 and 2 tuning are optimized for the IHI. You can always slap a K04 on there with stock exhaust and intake and have that OEM feeling with almost as much (if not more) power than a stage 2, if that's what you're looking for.
even if you go into stock program on stage1/stage2 tune, you still have to disconnect the MAF??
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #61
grambles423
Limited Activity
 
grambles423's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 18,424
I don't think so. I think you unplug it if youre having driveability issues in stock mode
__________________
UnNaturally Aspirated
APR Stage 1- ECS Dogbone
Driver Gear Springs-Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #62
plac
Guest
 
Drives:
Posts: n/a
as you are putting the new turbo back on the car. do you first place the intake manifold gasket, or do you set the intake into the V slots, then slide the gasket in?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #63
grambles423
Limited Activity
 
grambles423's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 18,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
as you are putting the new turbo back on the car. do you first place the intake manifold gasket, or do you set the intake into the V slots, then slide the gasket in?
Place the gasket on the block studs THEN place the turbo into the V-Blocks. Much easier that way. The turbo wont really move once its in the blocks. Its really nice and just slides in like a virgin.
__________________
UnNaturally Aspirated
APR Stage 1- ECS Dogbone
Driver Gear Springs-Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #64
Bender
Banned
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 20,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by grambles423 View Post
Its really nice and just slides in like a virgin.
So you really need to kinda cram it in there and hit it with a rubber mallet a few times?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #65
andy_uranium
Formula 5000 Champion
 
andy_uranium's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 mk6 GTI CW, 2004 Acura TSX
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Windsor / Detroit
Posts: 2,156
Haha, terrible visual.
__________________
my moderate build thread - http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16739&page=2
2011 CW GTI - DSG, Leather, LED R tails, OEM front lip, color matched side markers, red footwell leds, klii plaid vinyl accents, DG springs, Unibrace XB, UB and RB - OZ supertourismo LMs - Hankook V12 evo
andy_uranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #66
grambles423
Limited Activity
 
grambles423's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 18,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
So you really need to kinda cram it in there and hit it with a rubber mallet a few times?
depends on how "slippery" the virigin is its a tight fit, but it goes in well!
__________________
UnNaturally Aspirated
APR Stage 1- ECS Dogbone
Driver Gear Springs-Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #67
mark986
FIA GT Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 VW GTI
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 863
^ Amen!
__________________
APR Stage I & 2 Intake | APR K04 | APR Downpipe |APR FMIC | R Tail-Lights | Rev. D
mark986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #68
plac
Guest
 
Drives:
Posts: n/a
another task im worried about, removing my stock rear intake pipe. so many people break that clip trying to get it off the tube. Maybe i should just do that part now, to know if its gonna break or not. then i can just have a new tube here by the install time if needed. and if it doesnt break, it will be loose and ready for the work.

and the other final question for the whole DIY. when tightening your 13mm nuts on the exhaust manifold. Do you have room for your torque wrench sitting upwards to top? Maybe a 1" or 3" extension on that thing?

Last edited by plac; 06-12-2012 at 01:30 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #69
grambles423
Limited Activity
 
grambles423's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 18,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
another task im worried about, removing my stock rear intake pipe. so many people break that clip trying to get it off the tube. Maybe i should just do that part now, to know if its gonna break or not. then i can just have a new tube here by the install time if needed. and if it doesnt break, it will be loose and ready for the work.
My tabs were already broken and I installed a new one during the install. Might not hurt to try...but that damn thing is so flexible, its bound to break.

Quote:
and the other final question for the whole DIY. when tightening your 13mm nuts on the exhaust manifold. Do you have room for your torque wrench sitting upwards to top? Maybe a 1" or 3" extension on that thing?
I had a 3" extension with the torque wrench angled up. However, I also had the rain tray out and the sheet metal part that runs across that void out, gave me lots of room. Might consider that when you're installing.
__________________
UnNaturally Aspirated
APR Stage 1- ECS Dogbone
Driver Gear Springs-Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #70
plac
Guest
 
Drives:
Posts: n/a
jesus... one of those red plugged fittings is under the wastegate rod, under the manifold... looks like it will be a real beast to get to and work with.

anything i can do in prep days before?

swap that one coolant plug?
install the 4 downpipe studs?

and i have that ONE thick copper washer. i think it said it goes on the coolant fitting, between the turbo and banjo metal, then a normal thin one on the other side of that banjo fitting..

only got 1 tiny piece of paper instructions with it. wouldnt be even possible to do with just those instructions for me.

Last edited by plac; 06-12-2012 at 05:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
zach in a muscle shirt

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.