GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ATTENTION ALL: Please Read Before Posting New Threads!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
As you all are very aware of, we have an abundance of threads that are started regarding modifications such as exterior, tunes, downpipes, intercoolers. etc. etc. The last thing we need is another tuner war on these forums.

Over the past few months I've done some trial runs of our search system and have found it to be absolutely useless. For some reason it truncates a lot of useful stuff when searching acronyms and tuner companies. No wonder new guys come on here and say they searched and couldn't find anything. I now have everyone's solution.

I use this method exclusively with any forum and ANY site that I wish to gain further detail from. Its simple, basic, and just plain easy to use. Normally, before a person can type a "repost" or "this has been discussed" post I've already provided 10 different links to posts worth reading.

So let's being:

1) Find out what you're wanting to look for. IE: Which Tune is the Best?

2) Is it too general? Lets make it more detailed. IE: Which tune is the best + APR + GIAC + REVO. The plus signs will tell the search engine to look for these key words.

3) Go To Google (link) and type your request

Google.JPG

4) Now here is the ticker. Add your requesting site in this manner:

Which tune is the best + APR + GIAC + REVO site: golfmk6.com

Google2.JPG

5) Enjoy your multitude of hits and do your research. You might have to sift some and dont feel afraid to ask where a particular thread is. Some of the veterans can possibly help out and point you in the right direction.

Google3.JPG

Other helpful sites would be:

golfmkv.com
forums.vwvortex.com (dont use vwvortex.com)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
We should prob get an FAQ Section if there isn't one already.
1. Oil wars.
2. Tuner wars.
3. Exhaust wars.
4. Suspension wars.
5. Lighting wars.

I think if those 5 were covered... we would have nothing to post about anymore :(

MK6moneyGANG

Go Kart Champion
nice i applaud you .

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Well, members like to receive personalized service so they create threads instead of using an existing thread because their situtation is unique :p

They will create a new thread even though there are 5 threads on the 1st page of the respective section covering the topic they wish to discuss. I've been moderating forums for a long time and learned you cannot change the world, nor can you get frusturated by human behavior.

At the end of the day it is why we have moderators :) We move, merge, delete and close to keep forums as clean and productive as possible. :thumbsup:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Oh trust me I know. I just figured It might help someone out who needed it. The search function on this site blows and I had trouble navigating It before I figured this neat trick out.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
good points, but its kinda like trying to convince people not to vote against their own economic interests because of "cultural issues" - that get talked about once every 4 years and then nothing changes :laugh:

CrzyP

Ready to race!
I personally use search all the time, but I don't understand why folks get uptight about the newbie threads. I can spot them a mile away, so I just move on to the next topic until I find something worth reading. BTW I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of being uptight. Just saying...

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Oh trust me I know. I just figured It might help someone out who needed it. The search function on this site blows and I had trouble navigating It before I figured this neat trick out.

Its a symptom of vBulletin. SMF is no better.

So wait... who has the best tune?

You do.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I personally use search all the time, but I don't understand why folks get uptight about the newbie threads. I can spot them a mile away, so I just move on to the next topic until I find something worth reading. BTW I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of being uptight. Just saying...

I agree. its best to skim over them. Most of the times I'll shoot them a link for reading pleasure and the rest is up to them. I've learned that I dont always need to contribute in EVERY thread. I used to be bitter about it, but if you just give them the info, the thread normally dies out really quickly. However, if I troll, normally the thread goes for about 7 pages because everyone needs to contribute to a derailed thread lol Funny how that is?

Nevertheless......this should be a useful tool for anyone.

Its a symptom of vBulletin. SMF is no better.

Ah that explains it. I think, though, 8thcivic has a google search from the drop down, can yall add something like that?

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Yes, the search engine here is not great, and yes almost always I use google in the way you've shown to search this site, and it's how I also search most forums. Good tips! :thumbup:

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Ah that explains it. I think, though, 8thcivic has a google search from the drop down, can yall add something like that?

Its a plugin for vBulletin - not sure if its compatible with our version of their software or not. I dislike that is smacks you in the face with advertisements but appreciate that it does make it easier when searching for things like "H&R springs" where the "H&R" would be omitted on our current site when searching.

I'm a huge fan of vBulletin as I have seen a lot of what it can do however we only use a fraction of what is available. I'm not sure of the reasoning.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Its a plugin for vBulletin - not sure if its compatible with our version of their software or not. I dislike that is smacks you in the face with advertisements but appreciate that it does make it easier when searching for things like "H&R springs" where the "H&R" would be omitted on our current site when searching.

I'm a huge fan of vBulletin as I have seen a lot of what it can do however we only use a fraction of what is available. I'm not sure of the reasoning.

Do you personally know the Admin?

In all honesty, I think the forum's simplicity makes it that much better. Theres not thousands of sub forums and random crap you dont need. 8thcivic was overwhelming to me at times, and so is Vortex, Nasioc and Clubwrx. This one feels homey and easy to use.