GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's 100% confirmed...... VW GOLF R Coming to US!!

thekinger

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry guys, but I don't understand why someone would like to switch from GTI MKVI to "R" unless he/she only wants to brag about driving the "R" model. :iono:

GTI popularity came from its excellent value comparing to other models in its class (WRX, Mazda Speed3 ...).
Jacking up the price for 10 grand puts Golf "R" in different price range where there some serious competitors like bmw 335i and Audi S4, which are much better cars in my opinion (I owned 335i before going for GTI). The only reason I decided to scale down to GTI is that I was able to get close to 335i performance and save 15 grands. If GTI was only 5 grand cheaper, I would keep my 335i for sure as it's in a higher class, performance and brand wise.

Another thing, the AWD will give you better grip, but do you really need that in regular, city driving, for which GTI was designed for? GTI is not designed for a drag racing no matter how much you tune it. For the amount of money you spend to bring your GTI to APR Stage 3, you could have bought a 335i who will have same performances, if not better as stock. So if you need AWD to have better launch on a track, you are wasting your money.

On the other hand, after driving FWD Passat for 10 year in Canadian winters with tons of snow and ice, I can tell you that you don't need anything more the FWD and a good set of tires if you are worried about safety. I think that AWD is an overkill even for Canadian winters. It's more about perception then anything. And if you are really really considered about your safety, you can get the new BMW X3 with 300hp and 300Tq that will be in same price range as Golf "R" and still very fun to drive. Nothing beats bmw handling :)

Anyway ...

Here is a detailed comparison between GTI and R by a gentleman from Australia who seems to know what he is talking about. Note that he was driving a stock GTI. I am sure he would be even less impressed with "R" if he compared it with GTI APR ST1, which you can get for less then a grand installed these days.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112/golf-r-v-golf-gti-45833.html

Cheers,
denisGTI

Sorry..a little late to the thread, but thanks for posting this! Great read! when I saw that VW had announced this, I was really excited to hear this until I read more of the posts. Your article confirms this as well with the R having the old EA113 engine. Wasn't there some mess about cam-followers going bad and needing replaced all the time? Nobody on vortex seemed to really know if this had been remedied. Looks like I'm going to get a manual tranny GTI...

denisGTI

Ready to race!
Sorry..a little late to the thread, but thanks for posting this! Great read! when I saw that VW had announced this, I was really excited to hear this until I read more of the posts. Your article confirms this as well with the R having the old EA113 engine. Wasn't there some mess about cam-followers going bad and needing replaced all the time? Nobody on vortex seemed to really know if this had been remedied. Looks like I'm going to get a manual tranny GTI...

Yes, I find that article interesting too. It seems that the gentleman knows what he is talking about. It made me question whether "R" is really worth the extra money. But it seems that many guys here don't mind, which is cool with me.

denisGTI

little_loki

Ready to race!
damnnnnnnnnnnn

oh well whatever... no biggie.

new club

"i love my GTI, even though it's not as fast as the R20 Club"

i'm more of a style person over a racer anyway.

Agreed.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
The Mark 6 GTI motor develops more torque early in its rev range, making for instant power, punch & crispness to throttle inputs & forward thrust as opposed to the Golf R, which feels devoid of feel and builds speed up in a strong linear fashion – a typical trait of the older EA113 motor.

The greater thrust in the lower rev band makes the GTI more user friendly around town and when tackling the tight twisties - the driver is not required to rev the motor as hard or to have the MK6 GTI in the correct gear to extract the maximum performance from the EA888 Audi developed motor. In contrast, being caught in the incorrect gear in the Golf R would have the Golf GTI jumping ahead, especially up inclines. Easily done in day to day traffic.

The Mark 6 Golf GTI felt so much stronger in the lower & mid range power delivery than the Golf R. Downside of the Golf GTI is that power tapers off @ 5500rpm, where the Golf R is hitting its stride up to 6500rpm. More revs does equate to higher fuel consumption.

God, if I felt that way when i went stage 2 + catless downpipe, so much that I returned my car to the stock downpipe and stage 1, I really can't imagine how frustrated I would feel with a turbo lag like that. Reading this made me reassure that my gti + stage 1 is the perfect car for daily commuting and city driving, hell i even took it to the mountains 2 weeks ago, power delivery at low rpms is flawless

mookieblaylock

Ready to race!
i'm not buying it. Cant that be tuned to boost low torque. Look a the apr tts graph and it's stronger than a gti at lower revs. But if so that sucks cuz i do like low rpm torque surfing

encouragement, boom

ya, that is an opinion, lol. i am getting one and gonna drive the shit out of it on the track, lag, or whatever, ha ha!! now that it is coming, everyone is saying it has the old motor, lag, etc....then don't buy it!! I am, and can't wait to get on it, get the stage 1 chip on day one and have 322 hp or whatever, which is 60hp more than my r32!!! win for me!!!

haters gonna hate!!!!!

PS: I just looked at the APR site, ECU upgrades for both, and looked at the stock numbers for the GTI and R motor. TSI has stock tq of 224 @ 2500 and peters out @ 5k rpms. FSI has stock tq of 260 @ 2500 rpms and does not peter out like the TSI. That is a bit more torque from what the APR dyno shows! R for the win, again!! LMAO!!!

Last edited:

krische

vdubber in training
Does anyone know if the .:R motor will have the same problems (cam follower I believe) that the earlier MKV GTIs had?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
PS: I just looked at the APR site, ECU upgrades for both, and looked at the stock numbers for the GTI and R motor. TSI has stock tq of 224 @ 2500 and peters out @ 5k rpms. FSI has stock tq of 260 @ 2500 rpms and does not peter out like the TSI. That is a bit more torque from what the APR dyno shows! R for the win, again!! LMAO!!!

bigger turbos typically pull harder and longer to red line. you could probably achieve the same kind of torque / power band with an upgraded turbo on the GTI.

Does anyone know if the .:R motor will have the same problems (cam follower I believe) that the earlier MKV GTIs had?

I'm pretty sure this has already been discussed here and especially on Vortex, go check out the R forum there for more info.

denisGTI

Ready to race!
ya, that is an opinion, lol. i am getting one and gonna drive the shit out of it on the track, lag, or whatever, ha ha!! now that it is coming, everyone is saying it has the old motor, lag, etc....then don't buy it!! I am, and can't wait to get on it, get the stage 1 chip on day one and have 322 hp or whatever, which is 60hp more than my r32!!! win for me!!!

haters gonna hate!!!!!

Hmmm, not sure if that graph shows properly GTi stock torque.
The torque curve is missing data from 0 to 2.5k rpm.

According to VW, GTi is reaching it's top TQ around 1700 rpms.
This is in line with the observation from the "R" vs "GTI" article that states
that GTi has more torque in the low end, while "R" power kicks in later.

D.