GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Exhaust options

SleezyB

My car is currently stage 2 with the APR down pipe with the stock exhaust.

I'm not really that thrilled with how it sounds at the moment. I mostly just hear what sounds like air traveling down the downpipe under acceleration and not that much else.

I do like that the DSG farts have become louder but I'd honestly like them to be a bit louder. At the moment I don't really want to invest in a catback so I'm wondering what some people's opinions are on what could be done to the factory exhaust to get a a nicer noise out of it and at the same time get louder DSG farts?

I'v read mixed opinions on doing the resonator delete but I'm worried it's going to be to raspy and drone to much.
Would replacing the factory resonator with a vibrant 1792 be a good option? And would just replacing that make the dsg farts louder and also give the oem exhaust a bit more noise?

If anyone has some suggestions that would be great, thanks.

tanner133

You can delete the resonator and it gets a lot louder however it is not a good sound. Its not very raspy though, the best analogy i can give for it is diesel knocking sound when at idle. When you give it the beans it sounds awesome but other than that a stock res delete on a non resonated downpipe is not recommended. I would just save up for the catback and buy it when you are able to comfortably.

SleezyB

Yeah I didn't think a straight res delete was going to sound to great with the down pipe. I picked up a spare oem exhaust to play around with so I might just try replacing the oem res with the vibrant 1792 one and see how that goes.

Anyone else here still have that resonator on there stock exhaust?

FndrStrat06

Passed Driver's Ed
I might just try replacing the oem res with the vibrant 1792 one and see how that goes.

Save the $50 and don't bother with that resonator. There's so little sound absorbing material in those that it won't make much of a difference. Just cut the resonator out and put straight pipe in.

tofuD01

Ready to race!
Apr downpipe with stock cat with the vibrant resonator doesn't sound that bad, it's louder on throttle and no drone when off like stock.

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion
Delete resonator, add j pipe... something like this

SleezyB

Apr downpipe with stock cat with the vibrant resonator doesn't sound that bad, it's louder on throttle and no drone when off like stock.

Thanks for the feedback on the vibrant resonator. Nice to know it still cuts down on drone. Did the vibrant 1792 make your dsg farts any louder too?

tofuD01

Ready to race!
Thanks for the feedback on the vibrant resonator. Nice to know it still cuts down on drone. Did the vibrant 1792 make your dsg farts any louder too?

I find i don't get farts that often, but i guess i don't rev high enough before i change gears. But cold starts and off throttle in morning....those farts are music to my ears!

But back on drone, no drone at cruise/off throttle. But it is fair bit louder when on throttle/heavy foot.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Delete resonator, add j pipe... something like this
It's a Helmholtz resonator, to reduce/prevent drone
To add on to this, here's a good video that explains it a bit and has before/after clips of a Helmholtz resonator.

Can't figure out how to embed a youtube vid so here's the link: Tom's Turbo Garage Street Sleeper part 13: Helmholtz Resonator

Tom's Turbo Garage is a pretty fantastic channel too if you're looking for content to binge on youtube.

Last edited:

SleezyB

To add on to this, here's a good video that explains it a bit and has before/after clips of a Helmholtz resonator.

Can't figure out how to embed a youtube vid so here's the link: Tom's Turbo Garage Street Sleeper part 13: Helmholtz Resonator

Tom's Turbo Garage is a pretty fantastic channel too if you're looking for content to binge on youtube.

Thanks for the link, kinda interesting. You still happy with the sound of yours?

SleezyB

I went and talked to a custom exhaust shop and he's trying to talk me into just going full resonator delete and just put in a piece of stainless pipe and be done with it.

From all the videos i'v seen of a full resonator delete while having a 3" downpipe it just sounds like shit though, so Im still kinda leaning towards the vibrant 1792. Anyone else with a 3" downpipe using that vibrant resonator with there stock exhaust and still like it?

Did you get louder DSG farts with it? And was the sound increase nice sounding? I know exhaust sound is pretty subjective so it's a hard one to get opinions on.

Last edited:

tanner133

From all the videos i'v seen of a full resonator delete while having a 3" downpipe it just sounds like shit though, so Im still kinda leaning towards the vibrant 1792. .

I'm really hoping to find someone who had done the Vibrant with the downpipe because like I said earlier, I have a 3 inch dp with res delete and you are exactly right in how it sounds. But only on cold start. After it warms up its perfectly fine and quite enjoyable when really giving the car the beans. But that god awful noise and loudness on cold start is making me look into my options, just afraid that the vibrant res won't make enough of a difference to waste $120 on since I can't weld it myself.