GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Handbrake MOT fail but brakes otherwise ok

notrub

I had an advisory last year that the O/S parking brake was weak. Silly me for not sorting it out during the year, but this year they've failed it with no mention of sides, so I guess both sides weak.

If the driving brakes passed, does this mean it's likely to be the cable tension and I can fix it by simply tightening the nut under the console??

notrub

Thank you - I had found those threads already, but it seemed to be saying that this was because sometimes the brakes were too tight.

At the top it says : "There's an auto adjuster inside the rear caliper which keeps the lever at the same position as the pads wear down so don't worry about adjusting the lever a little high."

If it hadn't been for that sentence, I'd have the hole cut already and be trying tightening the nut - I may end up doing that anyway as need to progress tonight, but can anyone confirm that TIGHTENING this nut is likely to fix the issue or tell me that it's NOT worth trying.

Thanks Tony

notrub

Well - it was a lot easier in my Golf - turns out there's just 3 screws under the rubber mats at the bottoms of the cup holder? holes in the plastic bit around the handbrake to remove and it lifts off, uncovering the adjusting screw.

On the Off-Side, the cable extends an inch further than on the Near-Side - As a result the bracket was angled meaning that it had to be pulled a long way before it engaged.

I've tightened it considerably - it's still at an angle, but now engages tension on both sides.

Need to look at the brakes properly soon to figure out why the cable on one side is longer.