GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air straightener for COBB intake

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Why not Stage 2 Daily Driver? I'm considering that or endurance, which seems like more than enough clutch.
The shop recommended that so I just went with it. It was really stiff at first but now it really doesn't feel that stiff. Doesn't like bad shifts but feels amazing on good shifts

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Ok guys... add me to the list of people with this surging issue. Bought the airflow straightener (frankly pretty annoyed my Cobb $395 intake now became $430 with this air straightener thing). That's $105 more than the APR at this point (dunno if the APR one suffers the same issue).

Installation wise, I just put mine at the very edge of the tube. Do I really have to put it as close to the MAF as possible? I guess I could just try it and find out.

I'm also getting what sounds like tires rubbing from 72 to 75 miles per hour. This is not dependent on RPMs. I could put the car in neutral at that speed and still get the sound. It's annoying that I typically cruise at that speed. So I find it ironic that I get the drone from the intake and not from the downpipe! I can change the sound a little bit by removing the top cover and reorienting the intake filter one way or another. Has anyone else noticed the same issue?

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Ok guys... add me to the list of people with this surging issue. Bought the airflow straightener (frankly pretty annoyed my Cobb $395 intake now became $430 with this air straightener thing). That's $105 more than the APR at this point (dunno if the APR one suffers the same issue).

Installation wise, I just put mine at the very edge of the tube. Do I really have to put it as close to the MAF as possible? I guess I could just try it and find out.

I'm also getting what sounds like tires rubbing from 72 to 75 miles per hour. This is not dependent on RPMs. I could put the car in neutral at that speed and still get the sound. It's annoying that I typically cruise at that speed. So I find it ironic that I get the drone from the intake and not from the downpipe! I can change the sound a little bit by removing the top cover and reorienting the intake filter one way or another. Has anyone else noticed the same issue?

That sucks bro.. Sorry to hear that.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Stock turbo for now. Currently waiting for Stratified to send me the final MAF tune. Clutch slips like a mofo on the low-torque 93 octane map.

Clutch, brakes, COBB cat-back exhaust, Stage 2 retune , then deal with charge pipes and smaller stuff, then maybe bigger turbo once everything is settled down.

I've been trying to pick a LSD from the various models, need to read more drivability reports on the two main vendors.

Which LSDs are you considering?

Also, add me to the list of fixed COBB intakes... that MAF air straightener worked wonders!

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2608715&postcount=7

Donutman

Passed Driver's Ed
Getting the same codes .
Cobb stage 1+
Sf cobb intake
Ie fds Intercooler
Ie catch ca.
The question is what size inserts 3 or 3.5

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
It's easy, order your size off of Treadstone's website. You can equally crush the outside of the straightener until it fits inside the pipe. Throw a tac or two of super glue and you're done. The car will run much more smoothly. A lot of us do this with custom big turbo intakes.

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for these great photos, yeah it took me a while to learn about the airflow straightener, COBB said nothing.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for these great photos, yeah it took me a while to learn about the airflow straightener, COBB said nothing.

It's a travesty and BS that we have to add this "straightener" to make their intake work. Had they admitted to it, they would have had to admit to the poor engineering on their part. Also make note how you get a "tire rubbing" sounding noise even with the straightener between 72-74 mph; worse without it. It's utterly poor design AND poor testing on their part. I can't say how any one else's intake is. But this one is unacceptable for the price. If it was a $200 intake, that's one thing...But for what amount to $430? I would have tried the APR (which could, to be fair, have it's own issues).

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
I put the LSD research on hold. I'm going to replace the COBB intake with maybe one from IE to get rid of the straightener. Been going back and forth between k04 and BT, k04 is winning right now.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I put the LSD research on hold. I'm going to replace the COBB intake with maybe one from IE to get rid of the straightener. Been going back and forth between k04 and BT, k04 is winning right now.

The IE intake is a solid choice! I like it the most out of the other ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie

Before you get an IE intake, run the COBB intake without the top cover. You may/may not like the sound of an "open air" element filter. It poses its own set of challenges.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
+1 for IE. I went from forge to Cobb to IE and the IE is the only one I didn't get weird behavior with. Also I would say go gtx2867. Will still perform well at near k04 levels of power but still gives you room to grow if you want and will have a good response due to it being on the smaller end.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Months later and the RSR clutch is all bedded in. I put new Pilot Sport 4S on last fall, a whole two weeks until it got too cold and I went back to snow tires.

Back asking about best k04 kit and experiences with other supporting mods like turbo outlet pipe.

I'm pretty sold on the Peloquin LSD at this point.