GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New VAG ECM Patch Releaased 11_11

justsomeguy

Passed Driver's Ed
Just thought I would mention that VAG released a new ECM patch (24AX) on 11_11 which is suppose to have something to do with the fuel pressure going to the rail. Perhaps one of our VW Tech forum members could shed a little more light on this?

...butch

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
If this update is done at the dealer, will it erase my tune? Don't think I've had this kind of update since I've been tuned.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Watched the HumbleMechanic clip and I have a question:

Since this is only for "stock, untuned cars" can we infer that tuners modify whatever VW modified in the course of tuning? Or is that just a note for dealers to not retune and extend the warranty on modified vehicles?

songyun

Ready to race!

Wideopentuning

Ready to race!
We have had a tuned customer already have this update done at the dealer. Sure enough his software version was changed from S0010 to S0040.
APR was very quick to get a file(current production, not the soon coming update) for the updated software version on the server.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
We have had a tuned customer already have this update done at the dealer. Sure enough his software version was changed from S0010 to S0040.
APR was very quick to get a file(current production, not the soon coming update) for the updated software version on the server.

What does it mean to us if APR changes the software version from S0010 to S0040?

Wideopentuning

Ready to race!
What does it mean to us if APR changes the software version from S0010 to S0040?

The dealer is changing your software version with this new ECU update they are doing. There can are multiple different ECU box codes and software versions for the MK6 Gti alone. When you perform an APR flash, the file from APR has to "match" that box code and software version. Since this ecu update from VW changed the software version to something that there was no "matching" APR file for, APR does whatever they need to do on their end so when you plug a car in and connect to their server, the file matches the car and will allow you to flash the ECU. The performance will be the same as before.

jshay

Go Kart Champion
Okay so if I get the update, I lose my tune. I can go back to the tuner shop and have them reflash it.

But my question is: Does the tune overwrite whatever segment updated? Essentially losing the update we just got?

Wideopentuning

Ready to race!
Okay so if I get the update, I lose my tune. I can go back to the tuner shop and have them reflash it.

But my question is: Does the tune overwrite whatever segment updated? Essentially losing the update we just got?

Yes, as long as there is a file available matching whatever the updated software version is now.

I will try and get an answer to your second question.

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
Hmm ive never seen that guy the humble mechanic, but his videos are spot on.

Any type of update will rewrite the whole ecm. They dont give us details as to what is written or changed. Sometimes theyre very vague about it. Here at least they give more info, basically looks like the old 24av update for tiguans, they just bumped pwm to the lpfp under certain situations.

This update applies to 11-13, cc, jetta, tiguan, gti, beetle, eos (cbfa/ccta), if it falls in the open category, i wouldnt see why not all are tho.

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
Hmm ive never seen that guy the humble mechanic, but his videos are spot on.

I believe he is a VW dealership service manager. Really great videos with insider knowledge.

Honestly I wonder if this ECU update has anything to do with emissions. I have seen articles saying GTI's are affected but VW has denied it.

A side effect, whether intended or not of this update will be to deny extended warranty issues on fuel pumps to people who are tuned. I would imagine if you were tuned you would first have to flash to stock, then get the VW update, and then if tuners decide to update their files reflash the tuned software. This could turn into an Apple vs. jailbreakers cat and mouse game.

DakotaGTI

New to the forum, but just wanted to share my experience. I drive a 2011 CBFA GTI with a Revo Stage II tune. I have an SPS switch as well, so I went ahead and flashed it back to stock before rolling into the dealership to have my coolant pump replaced under recall (hoping the dealer wouldn't notice the straight pipes and catless DP lol). Anyway, I dropped the car off and picked it up, everything was great. My leaking coolant pump was replaced with all the seals and gaskets and coolant was flushed and replaced free of charge. I hopped in the car, plugged in my SPS switch, and to my surprise, I sat for a good five minutes and never got the confirmation tone signifying a successful reflash to Stage II. So I checked my invoice, and sure enough the ECM was retuned under 24ax and all of my tunes overwritten.

I'll be calling Revo in the morning to see if they've released a file to correspond with this. If so, I'll be driving to my nearest Revo dealer (3 hours away) to get reflashed. I got my free coolant pump at least, but the 3 hour drive on a stock tune is going to be miserable.