GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird Noise Knock from Tranny

#madrussian

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all,

Was driving last night and noticed a weird situation with the car.

At above 3.5K rpm if I drop the throttle then get back on it there is a very noticeable knock like a catch up of the engine to the transmission or something. Feels quite unsettling, almost like a clutch drop.

Really only happens in 3rd and above gears, in 1st and second its like the engine and tranny are glued, the flow of rpm up and down is very consistent without breaks.

Has anyone has something similar occur? Is it time for a new clutch? Or something worse?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#madrussian

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Clutch slip? Are you tuned?

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
My car has this issue too. Its like something in the drive line is shifting. I have upgrade mounts though so I dont think it is the engine or tranny. My thoughts are maybe the rear differential

zrickety

The Fixer
I believe it's the differential wearing out. Good excuse for LSD upgrade.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Most likely the rear... check for leaks not sure how many miles you got but thats not an area you want to neglect.

visceralsoup

Ready to race!
Most likely the rear... check for leaks not sure how many miles you got but thats not an area you want to neglect.

Ive inspected it and there are no leaks. I think I will do a fluid change soon. I know a guy selling a warrantied diff so I might get it just in case

bebersol

Ready to race!
is that the rubber bushing where the drive shaft connects to the transmission and rear diff?

I think it's called a Rear Harmonic Balancer.

Last edited:

bebersol

Ready to race!
ECS has a replacement for about $150, it's exactly the same as the $460 OEM part because FEBI manufactures the part for VW