GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is my exhaust pipe supposed to have an air leak?

edwardnese

Passed Driver's Ed
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QizPS0e7RYF296ES2

In the video around :20 secs you can see liquid (it is water just snowed the day before the vid) running along the exhaust pipe (i think its the exhaust pipe?) being sprayed out. This tells me there is an leak in the pipe and i was wondering arent the exhaust pipe connections supposed to be fully welded all around the circumference? Any help is appreciated

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i second that. man that exhaust clamp looks bad. Granted i dont have winter here but live on the coast in Florida and my clamp only has minor rust on it.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Mines rusted to crap too. Think I'll also buy that replacement clamp!

These New England winters are brutal. I try to minimize the rust whenever possible. Really want to coat my undercarriage.

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!
Mines rusted to crap too. Think I'll also buy that replacement clamp!

These New England winters are brutal. I try to minimize the rust whenever possible. Really want to coat my undercarriage.

Likewise up here in the heavily salted Toronto area. My '12 GTI has now been through almost seven full winters and almost 123,000 km / 76,300 miles. The clamp looked like this today on the hoist when my trusted mechanic pointed it out as about to fail sooner or later.

I will pick up a genuine VW 1K0253141N real soon and have it at the ready in the car.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
A heads up when trying to replace that clamp.....the bolt/nut will probably be rusted/seized up

You'll most likely have to cut the middle of the 2 bolts, in between the 2 "ears" on the clamp, to remove it. That'll separate/loosen it once you cut those in half

See pic:

Attachments

• clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 417

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
That clamp is CRUSTY. Mine doesn't look that bad yet... you win Canada, you win

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
That Canadian clamp should be replaced ASAP
i think they just need the throw the whole car away actually

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!
Thanks all. Picked one up this morning.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

NotMoneyGuy

Ready to race!
Good tips, thanks. It snowed again last night, so no real desire to crawl around on the driveway till the nice spring weather eventually comes around, so the project is on hold.

I have been advised to wait until it breaks off because it will be a lot easier to install it.

Otherwise the Sawzall will be the "off" and the 1/2" socket (fits tighter than 13 mm) will be the "on". At this time there are no issues with the sounds, so it would be nice to delay the install until we are out of salt season.

Last edited: