GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrade brakes GOLF GTI MkVI for Track Day

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
did you use 2006-2008 Golf GTI MKV ? because that is the closest thing I could find on their site?

Also do you use the pads you listed every day or just for track events?
JP

I daily drive mine... Much more tolerable than the HP Plus... But still loud...much more bearable when you constantly brake hard:)

When my wife complains about my brakes...I just turn to her, hold her hand, and tell her... "because.... Race car."

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
Any installation instruction on these? I am trying to gauge how hard it is to do myself....

Very very easy. If you can change the brake pads you can do this.

I'll have the same set up as you, except for xp8's all around. But why did you remove the dust shield on the front? Any difference?

+1 to cooling although some may argue it doesn't do much if anything on some cars. I don't have any scientific results but I like what my brakes are doing as is so I'll leave them off for now.

I daily drive mine... Much more tolerable than the HP Plus... But still loud...much more bearable when you constantly brake hard:)

When my wife complains about my brakes...I just turn to her, hold her hand, and tell her... "because.... Race car."

Yeah if you brake hard they're fine :p

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Do u daily drive with the xp10 and xp8 combo? I am surprised to hear that this would be quieter than my HP+ fronts.

KiwiKawaii

Ready to race!
So the xp10 and xp8 are quieter than the HP+?

I'm currently daily driving with HP+ all around and the squeal is quite loud. Sounds even worse than buses and its a bit grabby when cold.

Might think of getting some Carbotech if they are quieter while giving similar track performance.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Very very easy. If you can change the brake pads you can do this.
A bit more question on the bushing kit. I'll probably be installing it tomorrow, do I just use the included grease on the pin? And also how often do you need to re-grease it?

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion

I'm currently daily driving with HP+ all around and the squeal is quite loud. Sounds even worse than buses and its a bit grabby when cold.

Might think of getting some Carbotech if they are quieter while giving similar track performance.

Not from my experience, my Carbotech are just as loud as my HP+ however my Carbotech are much better than the HP+ on the track.

A bit more question on the bushing kit. I'll probably be installing it tomorrow, do I just use the included grease on the pin? And also how often do you need to re-grease it?

You for use use the pins as for the grease that's up to you. I did, its the proper synthetic grease so why not really.

I regrease them everytime I change my pads (as you should, if you take the pins out you should re-grease them). If you're not planning on changing the pads that often I would do it every 10000km or so but that's no scientific number...just what I personally would do.

Deaks2

Ready to race!
I am in NYC this week and stopped by TyrolSport. Nice crew of guys. Got my brake bushings.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I've been running the bushing for a couple of weeks now. I can't say I notice that much of a difference in feel....maybe if I drive back to back it might be more apparent, but as is it's not that different...

staynhome29

Ready to race!

XP10/XP8 combo are streetable. Granted they are a little abrassive on rotors, its not too bad. I think Hawk HP+ are worse on your rotors. The squeal on XP10 is more or less the same as HP+ but grab way harder and don't fade!

I love the bus sound, except when cops are around haha.

Just make sure no one is behind you and brake hard and you will be fine!

Make sure to get new rotors if you go with Carbotech!

This is the most friendly race pad i have seen/experienced.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Replaces the rubber caliper slider bushings with solid ones. I at the same time replaced my SS lines so I didnt' notice these specifically however people seem to indicate they do help. My pedal does feel firmer however that could also be the SS lines.

Looks like I'll be needing another new set of XP10's for the front, didnt realize that the heat on the brakes got so high that my pads (specifically front right) wore down to the metal on metal with the rotor, prolly from the 110 to 60mph braking on the front straight going into a left handed turn repeatedly.

So I've also started looking at the Brass bushings as well (incase my rubber ones are melted) (won't help with the heat) but I've read that they do help with spngy brake feel.

On Tyrolsport they are $100 ish!!! but for every other car including BMW's they are at most $50 ish dollars for a set from Turnermotorsports... why are the VW ones so expensive? what makes them so special?

Any pro's and cons? does the increased maintenance on the Brass bushings out weight the benefits? anyone else sell these besides Tyrolsport? wish I was near Turnermotorsports so I could just try different BMW bushings till one fits...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
You can always machine them yourself.....the parts involved probably not worth half that price. I just paid for it because I am lazy. Like I said I can't tell too much of a difference before and after, if at all....

My Carbotech Bobcats have started to squeal more under any application. At the same token they also seem to stop better. I might look into using the brake-quiet grease....

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
Looks like I'll be needing another new set of XP10's for the front, didnt realize that the heat on the brakes got so high that my pads (specifically front right) wore down to the metal on metal with the rotor, prolly from the 110 to 60mph braking on the front straight going into a left handed turn repeatedly.

So I've also started looking at the Brass bushings as well (incase my rubber ones are melted) (won't help with the heat) but I've read that they do help with spngy brake feel.

On Tyrolsport they are $100 ish!!! but for every other car including BMW's they are at most $50 ish dollars for a set from Turnermotorsports... why are the VW ones so expensive? what makes them so special?

Any pro's and cons? does the increased maintenance on the Brass bushings out weight the benefits? anyone else sell these besides Tyrolsport? wish I was near Turnermotorsports so I could just try different BMW bushings till one fits...

I got mine from lella autosports for around $90. picked them up in person. the guy works from out of his garage (also a VW enthusiast). If you're in Orange Country, definitely give the guy a call. :)