GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R vs. WRX Stories

KAW96

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2012 R and my buddy has a 2012 WRX hatch, and he talks a lot of smack about how his car is better geared and how much better it'll take canyons. He's also convinced stage 2 vs. stage 2 he'll pull lengths. I HIGHLY doubt this, but am somewhat new to the car so don't really know how it fares against the rex. Anyone have any stories? Be very interested to hear

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
get to the track and tell him to put the money where his mouth is...

"brace yourselfs here comes all the bench racers"

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I would think stage 2 vs stage 2 could be pretty close, but not sure on that one.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
#streetcred

gearshifter

Passed Driver's Ed
He will take you off the start but 60+ and rolling you will take him I race my bro wrx hatch stage 2 and I'm on stage 2+ took him about 1-2 to cars

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
I was talking to a WRX STI owner last time I was at the strip. 500bhp and completely stripped out. He said it was unbelievably fast and I shouldn't bother with a Golf and should go with something like his. It was almost 30oC and he was sweating like a pig, he went down the strip and busted a 12.22@113.1 as his fastest run. I went down and shot him down with a 12.11@112.25.

So I highly doubt he was 500bhp, that his car was stripped with no creature comforts and mine was with a full interior, climate and a lovely sound system. I doubt I will be going for something like his! LOL

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
tell him "why pay 40k for a car with a 1980's interior"
Oh yes this. The STI interior is almost as dated as my 97' civic was :laugh:

I was talking to a WRX STI owner last time I was at the strip. 500bhp and completely stripped out. He said it was unbelievably fast and I shouldn't bother with a Golf and should go with something like his. It was almost 30oC and he was sweating like a pig, he went down the strip and busted a 12.22@113.1 as his fastest run. I went down and shot him down with a 12.11@112.25.

So I highly doubt he was 500bhp, that his car was stripped with no creature comforts and mine was with a full interior, climate and a lovely sound system. I doubt I will be going for something like his! LOL
Wow that is so pathetic on his part. What a weiner.

07STitoR

Ready to race!
Just stroke the dash as you pull away

These guys are dash molester's man, Coming from an older GD series STi the R isn't much more an improvement unless your seriously groping the shit out of your car. Also a stage 2 wrx/sti is a reflash and a TBE. The R should win since it should make about 10 more whp than the wrx.

Jimmytt01

Ready to race!
My last car was a pro tune stage 2 wrx. Means not an off the shelf stage 2 map, it was a Dyno tuned map for the car.

This was my first ever non vw/ Audi after owning 12 of them and only being 33. The wrx seemed like brut force. The all wheel drive was like a SUV on steroids. The R is a more refined all wheel drive system, very smooth. I can see where someone can think the wrx is way faster.

I have never really seen them run at the track together but the butt Dyno would probably feel like the Subaru is faster.

I came back to the Euro world for the simple interior fact as everyone has mentioned.

Like i heard before, " you can only look at a hot body ugly faced chick for so long".

My 2 cents.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
What is stage 2 in a Rex?

butchered by autocorrecr

At it's basic, downpipe and a tune. If it's a good tune, you might be looking at about 300 awhp.

Lol! Did he say anything about what modifications he had done to get his 500 bhp STI? It would take a lot of fucking work to get there, and almost definitely a built motor. Most guys who went for 400 awhp, which would be less than 500 at the crank, either never actually have their car cause it's always being worked on or showed up on the forum and then vanished shortly after. I wonder why ;)

I knew of one guy, just one, off the top of my head who had a pretty reliable subaru at significantly higher than stage 2 numbers. He dynoed at 350-360 awhp, which is far far short of 500 crank.

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
He said that his Scooby had a fully built engine along with a bigger turbo. It was plain empty inside with only the remnants of a dash, no carpets or door cards, a big ass roll cage and it made a noise like a bag of spanners rolling down a metal spiral stairway! I popped my head inside to have a look and my eyeballs nearly dried up with the heat in there!:iono:
Mind you the Scooby driver wasn't as upset as the M3 DCT driver who couldn't even break into the 12's!