GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3" or 2.5" resonator for a 70mm (2.75") exhaust?

TakmaN

Ready to race!
I'm looking to add a resonator to my exhaust to hopefully quiet it down a tad and haven't been able to find any in 70mm or 2.75". I'm looking at the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator but it only comes in 3" and 2.5". Would either of these work on the 2.75" exhaust without hampering performance? Which would be the better fit or should I scrap this idea altogether?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
You should be able to find 2.75" with other brands but go with the 3" if you want a vibrant IMO. Both can be made to fit but id rather go with the larger diameter than smaller than your exhaust.

TakmaN

Ready to race!
Thanks! Will probably go with the vibrant since I've had good experiences before and will pick up the adapters as well.

Nineeightgolf

Ready to race!
Let me know how it works please. Im currently considering having one put into my corsa turboback as that B is loud on the throttle

TakmaN

Ready to race!
Let me know how it works please. Im currently considering having one put into my corsa turboback as that B is loud on the throttle

It actually quieted it more than I was expecting from a small-ish resonator. Total noise level cut down maybe 30% and drone cut down probably 60%. It sounds maybe a tiny bit deeper in tone overall but the general sound signature is roughly the same. I don't hear as much or any exhaust gurgle like before but it could be due to it being quieter overall.

Not sure if it needs to be broken in or not before the sound finally settles but it does sound really quiet on start-up and while driving for 10 minutes or so. But after that the noise level picks up but still not as loud as before I installed the resonator. I'd say it's a bit quieter than I was hoping but I'd rather have it this way than it being loud and drone on the highway. Vibrant makes a bottle style resonator as well that you can try if you want to keep the noise level up.

Nineeightgolf

Ready to race!
It actually quieted it more than I was expecting from a small-ish resonator. Total noise level cut down maybe 30% and drone cut down probably 60%. It sounds maybe a tiny bit deeper in tone overall but the general sound signature is roughly the same. I don't hear as much or any exhaust gurgle like before but it could be due to it being quieter overall.

Not sure if it needs to be broken in or not before the sound finally settles but it does sound really quiet on start-up and while driving for 10 minutes or so. But after that the noise level picks up but still not as loud as before I installed the resonator. I'd say it's a bit quieter than I was hoping but I'd rather have it this way than it being loud and drone on the highway. Vibrant makes a bottle style resonator as well that you can try if you want to keep the noise level up.

You got it put on already? Your sig says APR catback but you are running a 2.75"? Could you clarify what youve got going on? You went with the Ultra quiet? This could be a big help for me as I want to quiet down the Corsa catback.

Last questions: Are you on stock DP? Where on the exhaust did you up putting the resonator? Im assuming midpipe post cat?

Last edited:

TakmaN

Ready to race!
You got it put on already? Your sig says APR catback but you are running a 2.75"? Could you clarify what youve got going on? You went with the Ultra quiet? This could be a big help for me as I want to quiet down the Corsa catback.

Last questions: Are you on stock DP? Where on the exhaust did you up putting the resonator? Im assuming midpipe post cat?

I recently replaced my APR catback with the Neuspeed catback since I wanted something slightly louder. The Neuspeed sounds great but ended up being a little louder than I was hoping for. I quickly ordered the Vibrant resonator from Amazon with same day delivery and had it installed the next morning :thumbup:.

Note that I'm running the stock downpipe but am stage 1 so I think that affects the sound somewhat. I made a sound clip of a few quick revs between 2-3.5K RPM. Ignore the buzzing noise as there is something loose somewhere which I haven't been able to diagnose (I've had this issue for a while and it's not due to the catback or resonator).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu1mz0ybJmk

Last edited:

Nineeightgolf

Ready to race!
I recently replaced my APR catback with the Neuspeed catback since I wanted something slightly louder. The Neuspeed sounds great but ended up being a little louder than I was hoping for. I quickly ordered the Vibrant resonator from Amazon with same day delivery and had it installed the next morning :thumbup:.

Note that I'm running the stock downpipe but am stage 1 so I think that affects the sound somewhat. I made a sound clip of a few quick revs between 2-3.5K RPM. Ignore the buzzing noise as there is something loose somewhere which I haven't been able to diagnose (I've had this issue for a while and it's not due to the catback or resonator).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu1mz0ybJmk

Thanks since u am running a downpipe I'll probably go with the silent vibrant. Not sure the smaller one will do much to a 3 inch downpipe

TakmaN

Ready to race!
Thanks since u am running a downpipe I'll probably go with the silent vibrant. Not sure the smaller one will do much to a 3 inch downpipe

Yea, I don't think the bottle style does much at all. After driving around more, the sound has picked up a bit and I'd say volume is down 25% now with drone down maybe 30%.