GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem after problem after problem!

BiHGti11

Passed Driver's Ed
Bought my 2011 GTI about 3 years ago with 40k miles.. now at 90k

Any young person looking to buy a car, I would not suggest going with the GTI.
You will be dealing with a lot of oil leaks, overheating issues, vacuum leaks
.. on a consistent basis.

Everything in the interior is made of CHEAP PLASTIC.. falls apart if you look at it funny... car was not made to last whatsoever. Money Pit.

Trunk latch busted and now I can't open the trunk,
Clutch is shot..
Rear main seal leaking... $440 fix

Fun car to drive.. looks good from the outside,
But the horrors are hidden beneath.. just my 2 cents.. I owned an mk4 for 4 years, big V Dub fan.. but they really missed the ball on this one. Moving on to a Nissan or Toyota 100%

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Hey $440 sounds like a steal for rear main seal replacement at least. You didn't mention the timing chain tensioner or waterpumps either haha.

BiHGti11

Passed Driver's Ed
Cheap plastic? Where? lol. Sure you're not driving a chevy?

Hell yea! ton of cheap plastic in there.. around the seats where the levers are,
buttons on the radio/console are also pretty cheap compared to other vehicles I have driven.. also the bulbs/housing for the bulbs is very bad.. everything breaks very easily.. be careful

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
I bought a 2011 GTI with 55k miles now at 120k all I have replaced was the water pump (under warranty), intake manifold (2 times under warranty), clutch (due to previous owner not knowing how to shift apparently), rear swap bar (some how snapped it) and then general maintenance, ie brakes, fluids, etc. All in all really not bad if you ask me...

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Hell yea! ton of cheap plastic in there.. around the seats where the levers are,
buttons on the radio/console are also pretty cheap compared to other vehicles I have driven.. also the bulbs/housing for the bulbs is very bad.. everything breaks very easily.. be careful

I've pretty much stripped my interior because racecar. the interiors on these cars are better than most... sounds like you just got a bad egg of a car.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I bought a 2011 GTI with 55k miles now at 120k all I have replaced was the water pump (under warranty), intake manifold (2 times under warranty), clutch (due to previous owner not knowing how to shift apparently), rear swap bar (some how snapped it) and then general maintenance, ie brakes, fluids, etc. All in all really not bad if you ask me...

This. haven't done waterpump as it's not been a problem yet. updated tensioner done 5k miles ago tho.

BiHGti11

Passed Driver's Ed
I've pretty much stripped my interior because racecar. the interiors on these cars are better than most... sounds like you just got a bad egg of a car.

I guess that's possible... but I have heard similar stories from other owners as well.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
VW has very high quality parts as compared to other cars in the same market, ie the focus ST or Fiesta ST, or the WRX, Lancer, etc..

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
VW has very high quality parts as compared to other cars in the same market, ie the focus ST or Fiesta ST, or the WRX, Lancer, etc..

True. Other friends have had every one of those and it feels like I'm in early 2000's car but they're new cars lol.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
If you mod you just exasurabte all the issues. I'm at 94k miles I was lucky and my car came with the updated timing chain tensioner (2013). I've been in two accidents with my car so I'm optimistic and think my issues were from those. Even then I've had my exhaust manifold stud snap and a water pump failed which was swapped for the revision and I need a carbon clean. Other than that my car has been perfect and to be honest has me a little scared to tune. I'll be going stage 1 likely. I'm also DSG so don't have the same clutch issues. I've been doing all the maintenance myself and am happy with the car. However I just wanted to point out being stock generally comes without problems and only when you start modding do other issues occur. Even a stage 1 tune people are always just like swipe your card and your good to go but really u want new r8 coils, tires, clutch if mt, and pcv to prevent rear main seal from eating it and ic maybe if u live where it's hot.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2012 GTI I purchased about a year and a half ago with 68K now at 77K and its been good to me since. Although with that being said I do say if anyone plans on purchasing one of these cars needs to have the finances to back it up. Things go wrong on cars and unfortunately this car is costly when it comes to them. My clutch is going so I know that's going to be a $600+ purchase and i'll need a carbon cleaning soon which isn't cheap either. My water pump isn't leaking yet knock on wood or the timing tensioner let go, so far so good. The car is a blast to drive but you will sink money into it when it comes to upgrading and replacing parts.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Everything in the interior is made of CHEAP PLASTIC.. falls apart if you look at it funny... car was not made to last whatsoever. Money Pit.

Trunk latch busted and now I can't open the trunk,
Clutch is shot..
Rear main seal leaking... $440 fix

Fun car to drive.. looks good from the outside,
But the horrors are hidden beneath.. just my 2 cents.. I owned an mk4 for 4 years, big V Dub fan.. but they really missed the ball on this one. Moving on to a Nissan or Toyota 100%

Hmmmm. I completely disagree; you can't make a blanket statement like that above, it's just not true. Especially the interiors, they're better than most cars.
My experience is the complete opposite of yours, it would seem you got the proverbial ''lemon.'' I've had exactly two issues - the notorious water pump failure, and ABS sensors. Even the ABS was likely just wear and tear. My car's a 2014 but it's approaching 80k miles; it lives on the road. What I will say - these cars are sensitive to maintenance. You've got to take care of them, if you don't they WILL get you back! ;)

Understand that ANY car can be a maintenance nightmare. Those leave their factory jinxed, and spend their lives being fixed. And that's any make.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
As much as I hate VW these days, I have to disagree with you about the interiors being cheap.

They were of high quality in my TDI and was a cry from my past vehicles in terms of ergonomics.

I take it you've never been in a C5 Vette or many Japanese cars to talk about cheap plastic?

One thing VW does well is producing high-quality interiors with a strong emphasis on ergonomics.