GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

***DIY*** Forge Front to Back and Side to Side Short Shift Installaion

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Ok, I salvaged my short shift kit from my MK5 before it was taken to the wreckers. I was able to install the Front to Back (FtB) without issue but because I had the original none plastic Side to Side(StS) I needed to get a couple pieces from the dealer to make it work. my MK6 is a TDI but I believe the GTI is also very similiar. Mike@Forge can confirm but I believe the parts needed are included in the kit now.

picture of the pieces needed

on a scale of 1 to 10 on the difficulty scale I give this a 3 it's pretty easy and can be completed in about 1-1.5 hours.

tools needed

Phillips #2
5mm Hex driver
VW clamp tool (channel locks, vice grips also work)
13mm socket

Step 1

Put car in neutral, E-brake on chock a wheel.
Remove the 7 Phillips screws holding the air box together

Step 2

Remove the Clamp holding the air box onto the turbo inlet, pull the top of the air box out of the way it has a few connections to it and it's easier to just move it out of the way rather then remove it completely.

Step 3

Remove the EGR pipe, should just pull right off

Step 4

Remove the 5mm bolt (highlighted in pink) holding the bottom of the air box to the car, there are 2 rubber bushings holding the air box down as well (highlighted in yellow) here is where it gets fun on the TDI anyway.

on the TDI there is a pipe on the right (highlighted in pink) which goes behind the headlight in behind the fog light and the U pipe on the left (highlighted in yellow) that wraps around a small rubber hose I think it's attached to the radiator didn't really look at it. I was able to pull the small tube from behind the headlight and then rotated the other pipe around the small rubber hose and out of the engine bay

Step 5

Once the air box is out you'll see the shifter mechanism. I put the car in neutral because it is easier to find neutral then it is a gear and the mechanism is movable.
Remove the clip holding the FtB cable to the mechanism and pull the cable up
The StS was a pain but I used a flat screwdriver to pop it off the StS mechanism.
*** TRY NOT TO MOVE THE CABLES AROUND MUCH***
Remove the plastic clip holding the StS mechanism in place.
easiest way to remove the StS is twist all the way back slide out as far as possible and then up. it takes a bit but it will come out.
remove the 13mm nut holding the FtB piece to the transmission
carefully pull the FtB off the transmission, some people use a gear puller, I just pull up carefully.

now that everything is off it's time to install the new parts.
first install the FtB with the adjustable pin where you would like it tightened done.
install the bolt and tighten down
make sure the selector is in the neutral position and replace the shifter cable and the locking nut.
for the StS I usually put the bushing on the pin and install the same as the removal, twisted back and then down and in. place the plastic retainer into the FtB mechanism and install the other side of the bushing and metal clip.
make sure the selector is in the neutral position and install the StS cable and metal clip.

ALL Done!!! GET IN THE CAR NOW AND TEST OUT ALL GEARS.

if the cables moved enough you might have some issues with the gear selector. if everything checks out continue on. if it doesn't call roadside and tow the car to the nearest dealership. j/k get out and take the cables off the selectors and make sure they are in neutral and the gear shift is in neutral.

Step 6

I took the headlight pipe off the air box, twisted the other pipe in, put it back in the small intake box. pushed the other pipe behind the headlight and then into the bottom of the air box (found that to be the easiest way).

Step 7

push the air box onto the rubber grommets and tighten the 5mm hex bolt

Step 8

put air filter back in, you don't have to take it out I just took it out to highlight the grommets. slide the EGR pipe back onto the air box.

Step 9

Install the top of the air box back into the turbo inlet pipe, making sure the clamp fastens tightly.

Step 10

Tighten all phillips screws around the airbox

All done for real, enjoy those shorter throws. I surely do :23:

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
I won't be needing this, but thanks for taking the time to write this up!

ThunderPig

Ready to race!
You didn't need to adjust the cable lengths?

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
You didn't need to adjust the cable lengths?

shouldn't have to touch the cable lengths. haven't had to in 4 of the 5 cars I've done. the one we did adjust probably didn't need it but it was the second time I had done the install and something was messed up with Reverse. a little tinkering seemed to fix it.

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
does the side to side short shift make the short shift smoother?

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
does the side to side short shift make the short shift smoother?

smoother in what sense? I also have the verdict shift bushings which makes the shifter VERY clunky. it will be a little harsher with just the short shift though. I've never liked VW shift mechanisms, long throws, spaghetti feeling. always have a lot of side to side play when in gear.

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
i mean smoother compairing just the front to back SS with the front to back and side to side SS

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
adding the side to side tightens it up a little more. it's definitely a nice addition to the FtB.

I don't find adding the StS has any effect on the FtB feel.