GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

...vs. BMW 1 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elanor

Here is unbiased as you can get directly from a BMW forum (below) from May of this year. Stage 2 beat a 335 w intake from a broad range of mph 60-120.

05-14-2010, 05:38 AM #1
STICKY335
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 335i Coupe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ran a GTI on the freeway from 60-120

335i
aFe intake
6spd manual

GTI
Intake
BOV
Straight Pipe
3"inch downpipes
Stage 2 chip

at 120 i was behind half a fender!

-___- is this normal?

STICKY335
View Public Profile
Send a private message to STICKY335
Find More Posts by STICKY335

05-14-2010, 05:42 AM #2
Bizall
Captain

Drives: 2008 135i

iTrader: (0) Sounds like that's about right. There might have been some other undisclosed mods.

Bizall
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Bizall
Find More Posts by Bizall

05-14-2010, 07:52 AM #3
Technic
Major General

Drives: 08 E90 M3/2010 CC

View Technic's Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STICKY335
Ran a GTI on the freeway from 60-120

335i
aFe intake
6spd manual

GTI
Intake
BOV
Straight Pipe
3"inch downpipes
Stage 2 chip

at 120 i was behind half a fender!

-___- is this normal?

At least a 400lbs advantage, some 30hp less than your car stock but most probably more torque can surprise anybody... if the GTI driver is better than you then it is a done deal.

msm00b

Ready to race!
Yeah Elanor, that's honestly what I expected. From zero the RWD vehicles will have the slight advantage. In all other scenarios (including performance and in the turns), a well planted stage 2 GTI will have the advantage.

So what does that mean? A 24k GTI + 2k in upgrades > a 36-46k base price vehicle. The beemers are nice. I would honestly consider a 40k 135i fully tweaked out over a GTI when my kids are a bit older and my career has fully taken off. For now, my GTI is really damn nice inside and out ... and after I get around to buying a downpipe I'll be a little bit faster than the stock 135i in 99% of daily driving.

:thumbup:

r.c.y.k.1

Passed Driver's Ed
msm00b, I am sorry if you think that i am BSing.. I had 335i and now I have a GTi, I love both of them, so I don't have to make up stories. I don't know where your specs come from for the bmws, you should search around for real 0-62' test results.. they always range from 4.9-5.1s.. 135i is even faster than that, with the new single turbo DCT it has 0-62 at around 4.6s, the old twin turbo 6speed was around 4.7s. So Stage 3 is faster than that? I am not too sure about that, if it does run faster than 4.7s, I am sorry, I made a mistake.
Then from my own experience, after 120 the 335i would pull away even faster... we have also tried 60-120, it was a really close match, I would say it was deal to the gear ratio, 335i has a really long 3rd gear... which 335i could lose if the driver makes any mistake for a 60-120 run.

msm00b

Ready to race!
Dude, your post is so full of holes it's not even funny.

I don't know where your specs come from for the bmws, you should search around for real 0-62' test results..

http://www.bmwusa.com/

they always range from 4.9-5.1s..

Sorry, I think I'll trust BMWs numbers over the ones you magically pull out of your bunghole.

So Stage 3 is faster than that? I am not too sure about that, if it does run faster than 4.7s, I am sorry, I made a mistake.

First of all, the beemers do not run a 4.7 stock. Show me a non-AWD car that weighs 3500+ lbs and can pull a 4.7 0-60 on a measly 300hp. There's a huge difference btw the 5.1 that BMW quotes for the 135i and a 4.7. You're talking nearly a half second difference in a range that's already considered pretty fucking fast.

Then from my own experience, after 120 the 335i would pull away even faster...

Since stock 135i/335i are limited to 130 stock, absolutely not. Remember you're comparing a stock BMW with a reasonably heavily modified GTI. My stage 1 will go faster than the stock beemer.

A stage2 GTIs max speed will not only be higher, but have more highend pull thanks to a lack of onboard limiters.

r.c.y.k.1

Passed Driver's Ed
Ya, whatever, if you like to think this way that's up to you. I am not here to defance 335/135, I am just trying to state the facts.. if you think a stage 1 would go faster than any 335/135, you will be shocked when you race one.

335i with sport package has speed limited at 150mph, which mine was with sport package. You can also disable the speed limiter easily by turning off the traction control.

Anyway, maybe all these tests below are just BS too... or I magically pull out from my bunghole.. or all these test drivers really can drive that much better than BMW drivers... or they just test it differently...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/06q4/2007_bmw_335i_coupe-road_test
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/08q1/2008_bmw_135i-short_take_road_test
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q2/2011_bmw_135i_dct-first_drive_review
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/car/2007-bmw-335i
http://www.roadandtrack.com/content...file/2009-Audi-TTS-vs-2009-BMW-135i_chart.pdf
http://www.performancecarnews.com/index.asp
http://www.insideline.com/bmw/3-series/2007/full-test-2007-bmw-335i-coupe.html
http://www.insideline.com/bmw/1-series/2008/full-test-2008-bmw-135i-coupe.html

maybe you should post in this thread too with your magically fast stage 1...
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6459

one last thing, 135i doesn't weight 3500+.. it is <3400

Last edited:

msm00b

Ready to race!
if you think a stage 1 would go faster than any 335/135, you will be shocked when you race one.

Compared to the stock beemer:

A stage 1 GTI will not accelerate faster. It will GO FASTER because it's not governed. From a rolling/road start, a stage 2 GTI will not only go faster, it will also accelerate faster. A stage 3 GTI would laugh it's way to the bank.

335i with sport package has speed limited at 150mph, which mine was with sport package

Given enough road a stage 1 GTI can hit 160.

You can also disable the speed limiter easily by turning off the traction control.

That's the most idiotic statement I've seen here in a while. Please google what "traction control" does. It most certainly does not turn off the onboard speed limiter.

Anyway, maybe all these tests

Maybe you've been so terribly wrong on a point by point basis that your "points" aren't trustworthy. Or maybe I just trust the makers of the car more. Since speed sells, I'd hardly expect the makers of the car to undersell their product. CarNDriver has long been known to have BMWs cock lodged so deeply in its throat that I hardly consider them to be a reputable source ... especially when their reports conflict with BMWs numbers in the manner they do.

one last thing, 135i doesn't weight 3500+.. it is <3400

One more thing you've proven yourself wrong on ... again ... surprise surprise.

135i
Unladen weight (3439) lbs

DvS21

Ready to race!
I can't even find 0-60 times for the 135 on bmwusa.com...... I don't see anything for the 335 either.

Honestly I'm defending the GTI's fun per dollar, but with car and driver testing the BMW at 4.7 seconds to 60 stock and the GTI at 6.9 it feels ridiculous to even think that a stage 2 GTI could pull away from even a stock 135i. I don't know that sounds awfully unrealistic... I mean the GTI is what? 500 lbs lighter with a 3 door and 6MT (optimistically) 135 has a 100 hp advantage... I think with stage 2 it would have to be a good driver in the GTI and a poor one in the 135. And I think even with stage 3... it wouldn't be a decimating victory....

msm00b you're just kind of being a dick. He quoted more than just C&D and owned a 335i (very similar car in terms of power and even weight). I really think you are being unrealistic. And just remember with 2-4k worth of work to the BMW it can widen the gap again just as easily......

r.c.y.k.1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thankyou DvS21, finally someone being realistic... agree with you too on GTI's fun per dollar does win over 135/335. Actually less than $600 with the 135/335, it can be chipped and gain another 80hp already, which I don't see stage 3 GTi would even get close to it...

anyway msm00b, it is fun to argue with you here, it really made my night,, lol:clap:...
maybe i was wrong about the traction control thing because I read it on e90post.com, which i never tried myself. 150mph is more than enough for me anyway... probably i am not the only idiot tho
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48600
I should have tried it before i returned my car, sorry, my bad...

good luck going 160mph with given enough road <--- for me the most idiotic idea ever! lol how long of a given road do you want? LOL:w00t:

straight from bmwusa,
Weight in kg Curb weight, man/auto 1,530/1,560
maybe you are looking at auto? i am looking at manu? :lol:

anyway, clearly you trust the car maker's stat, while I trust the real test result. Seriously tho, race one if you have chance, then you would know that I am not BSing...

Last edited:

msm00b

Ready to race!
I can't even find 0-60 times for the 135 on bmwusa.com...... I don't see anything for the 335 either.

Select either vehicles from the drop-down, choose features and specs. From this screen select the "Specifications" tab across the near-top. Scroll down and voila.

and the GTI at 6.9

6.9 seconds? Rofl. This is why I don't trust Car and Driver father than I can piss.

MotorTrend:
Our 0-60 best, achieved fingering through our test car's DSG transmission gears, was a satisfying 5.8 seconds. But, gads, in our last roundup of such pocket-rocketry, a Subaru WRX planted a staggering 4.8 seconds to 60; a previous-gen Mazdaspeed3 took 5.5 Mississippis.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/112_0910_2010_volkswagen_gti_test/index.html

it feels ridiculous to even think that a stage 2 GTI could pull away from even a stock 135i

So, granting that the GTI isn't actually 6.9 seconds to 60, you mean to tell me that taking the power-output from 200hp with 200lbs/torque to 280hp with 315llbs/torque in a relatively light car won't make a huge difference? Given that this car is indeed quite a bit lighter

The dottted line in this picture is stock. The solid line is stage 1.

The top solid lines in this picture represent stage 2 with intake/downpipe.

Now compare the dotted lines from the first picture to the solid lines in the second. Those two vehicles will perform very very differently.

I mean the GTI is what? 500 lbs lighter with a 3 door and 6MT (optimistically) 135 has a 100 hp advantage...

Umm, comparing a stage 2 GTI to the stock 135i, the beemer has a 20hp advantage and RWD. The GTI has 200-500lb advantage and 15lbs of torque. The vehicles at that point really aren't that different. The only thing that would really put the beemer ahead is starting from a dead stop vs a a rolling start.

And just remember with 2-4k worth of work to the BMW it can widen the gap again just as easily......

A 36k-40k car with a turbocharged 6 cylinder and 2k-4k in mods will go faster than a 24k with 2k in mods?

The statement was made that (and I paraphrase here) that the stock beemer will easily beat a stage 2 GTI, and that it would take stage 3 to "maybe keep up". That simply is not true.

msm00b you're just kind of being a dick.

Yes I am.

Actually less than $600 with the 135/335, it can be chipped and gain another 80hp already, which I don't see stage 3 GTi would even get close to it...

A stage 3 GTI is just a hair under 380hp. Granted the beemers I'd wager will hotfoot it faster, but this was never about which car can be faster, it was about calling out a fool making foolish, unrealistic claims.

anyway msm00b, it is fun to argue with you here, it really made my night,, lol:clap:...

Can you really call it arguing? More like having a fight with a one arm'd retarded midget.

maybe i was wrong about the traction control thing

I'd like to quote myself here: "Can you really call it arguing? More like having a fight with a one arm'd retarded midget."

good luck going 160mph with given enough road <--- for me the most idiotic idea ever! lol how long of a given road do you want? LOL:w00t

And 150 is that different from 160? Congratulations on missing the point. You said it would "go faster". You were wrong. As for how much road it would need ... probably less road than either a stock 135/335.

straight from bmwusa,
Weight in kg Curb weight, man/auto 1,530/1,560
maybe you are looking at auto? i am looking at manu?

If you're talking manual instead of their automatic transmission, you also have to take a hefty chunk off the 0-60 times ... which makes the beemers that much slower.

Damn that took too long. I'll leave you with this:

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.
Bling bling muthafucka.

Kg810

Passed Driver's Ed
Dude, your post is so full of holes it's not even funny.

http://www.bmwusa.com/

Sorry, I think I'll trust BMWs numbers over the ones you magically pull out of your bunghole.

First of all, the beemers do not run a 4.7 stock. Show me a non-AWD car that weighs 3500+ lbs and can pull a 4.7 0-60 on a measly 300hp. There's a huge difference btw the 5.1 that BMW quotes for the 135i and a 4.7. You're talking nearly a half second difference in a range that's already considered pretty fucking fast.

Since stock 135i/335i are limited to 130 stock, absolutely not. Remember you're comparing a stock BMW with a reasonably heavily modified GTI. My stage 1 will go faster than the stock beemer.

A stage2 GTIs max speed will not only be higher, but have more highend pull thanks to a lack of onboard limiters.

Compared to the stock beemer:

A stage 1 GTI will not accelerate faster. It will GO FASTER because it's not governed. From a rolling/road start, a stage 2 GTI will not only go faster, it will also accelerate faster. A stage 3 GTI would laugh it's way to the bank.

Given enough road a stage 1 GTI can hit 160.

That's the most idiotic statement I've seen here in a while. Please google what "traction control" does. It most certainly does not turn off the onboard speed limiter.

Maybe you've been so terribly wrong on a point by point basis that your "points" aren't trustworthy. Or maybe I just trust the makers of the car more. Since speed sells, I'd hardly expect the makers of the car to undersell their product. CarNDriver has long been known to have BMWs cock lodged so deeply in its throat that I hardly consider them to be a reputable source ... especially when their reports conflict with BMWs numbers in the manner they do.

One more thing you've proven yourself wrong on ... again ... surprise surprise.

135i
Unladen weight (3439) lbs

^One of the most misinformed guy ever and sounds like a total douchebag :bellyroll:.

The GTI is a great bang for the buck vehicle, but a stage 1 or stage 2 is not faster or even on equal grounds as a stock 335.

It seems like you are the one who has a bunch of holes in your posts and one that is dumb enough to believe BMW's 0-60 times on the 335. If you actually took the time to research rather than grab the numbers from BMW's website, you would come to realize that BMW is known to underrate their times and their engine output. Why? Because they don't want to take sales away from the M3.

Go drive a 335 instead of believing everything BMW says. There are tons of cars out there that come underrated from factory (B8 S4 comes straight to mind). If you do some research (read e90post.com, motortrend/caranddriver/edmunds/etc, or even googling "BMW 335 underrated") you'll easily find out that a stock 335 is underrated and should be around 350hp and can easily do 4.7-4.9 sec from 0-60. And no, I'm not going to find the articles for you, go look yourself it shouldn't take long.

msm00b = fail

-edit- btw is Bimmer not Beemer.. Beemers are BMW motorcycles

FasDarken

Ready to race!
:fighting0030:
A+ thread...will read again!:bellyroll:

Joker GTI

Ready to race!
Shits and giggles. I raced a friend with a stage 2+ apr and i was stock and he left me by more than 10 car lengths.... said he would keep up with porsche-non turboed... going up to 165mph... anyways! lol

DvS21

Ready to race!
Shits and giggles. I raced a friend with a stage 2+ apr and i was stock and he left me by more than 10 car lengths.... said he would keep up with porsche-non turboed... going up to 165mph... anyways! lol

what car did you have?

Also msm00b, I was comparing stock for stock on the weight/hp. Just quit man, you're making yourself look like an ass.

msm00b

Ready to race!
Also msm00b, I was comparing stock for stock on the weight/hp. Just quit man, you're making yourself look like an ass.

Why on earth would you compare a stock for stock given the discussion we're having. Nobody is debating that the BMWs would wipe the floor with a stock GTI. It's completely and utterly irrelevant to the conversation at hand.

DvS21

Ready to race!
It was to give a base line. To compare the power addition of stage 2. Look, if you can't read just stop posting man... you're still being an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.