GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How Good/Bad is the Base Audio in the GTI?

Rocco Siffredi

I am in the market for a 2010. At this point, the selection is limited, so you kind of have to take what you can find. In order to get a manual 2 door with the Dynaudio upgrade, I can only find cars that also have the Xenons. Total price difference is about $1,200.

I have seen threads about how great the Dynaudio system is. On a stand alone basis, the $500 would be a no brainer. But throw in a few other options and it is not as easy of a decision.

How do those of you with the base system like it?

GlutenBoy

Passed Driver's Ed
I like mine. Better than my old 1998 BMW that had Bose speakers and my girlfriend 2002 Honda SiR. Sound is clear and have enough bass.

graybunny10

My 2002 Explorer has clearer sound IMHO. More bass too, but it has the stock subwoofer.

Day two: it sounds much better than it did yesterday, I must have just needed to break in the speakers a little bit...

Last edited:

waffleman

Ready to race!
When I first turned on the radio, it sounded like crap. But the bass/trebble had been set at minimum. With appropriate adjustments, I think the radio sounds pretty good. I test drove a Cadillac CTS with bose (but not their premium system) and don't think it sounded any better than the base GTI. So, you may want to put the extra money into something else.

CA_Paul

I am in the market for a 2010. At this point, the selection is limited, so you kind of have to take what you can find. In order to get a manual 2 door with the Dynaudio upgrade, I can only find cars that also have the Xenons. Total price difference is about $1,200.

I have seen threads about how great the Dynaudio system is. On a stand alone basis, the $500 would be a no brainer. But throw in a few other options and it is not as easy of a decision.

How do those of you with the base system like it?

I just got a 2010 Golf TDI (DSG) with the RCD touch-screen stereo system. The car totally rocks, but the stereo is the weakest point. If I had been willing to wait 3-4 months, I definitely would have wanted to get the Dynaudio system. I also would have gotten the Xenon's. Do it.

The TDI is otherwise awesome. Fun to drive, and over 40MPG.

kimsballs

Ready to race!
Got mine 2 weeks ago. Base Audio. Sounds great on CD and Radio, but with the MDI Cable with the ipod it sounds truly garbage. Bringing it in to my dealer ASAP as it sounds as if all the speakers are blown, and the ipod disconnects all the time.

GUS

CHP
In mine opinion it sounds really good. I've owned a Gti Mk2, Mk4, Mk5, and now the Mk6 and so far this one is the best stock system I've heard. Also my girl has a 07 Audi A3 S-Line and its sounds better then hers. :thumbsup:

Adem

Passed Driver's Ed
I have tested the standard system..and it was good once i played wit hthe settings a little. It will definitely be better than most cars out there! I had a Mk4 basic and the system was amazing.. Better than most more expensive cars. So i dont think you have much to worry about if you go standard. I have ordered the dynaudio pack in my GTI because I love great sound!

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
i think it's very good IMHO; decent bass, good imaging & highs; i would like to add a sub some day but the stock RCD-510 touchscreen HU is real nice; added an 8GB SDHC with all my music, pretty cool...

KanDyWyte1

Ready to race!
Base system is OK in Sat/AM/FM... but as stated above, the iPod connection SUCKS!!! The music sounds distorted even a low volumes... and it's not the downloads. It ALSO blows, because the iPod connection seems to work when it wants to (sometimes disconnecting mid play). I'm definitely investing in aftermarket speakers/head-unit.