GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PCV and Oil Consumption

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
For the last 6000 miles I have been experiencing oil consumption at a rate that wasn't present before. It comes out to roughly 2.5 quarts every 2k miles and has thrown a low oil pressure light twice (never did it before in the 140k miles I've driven).

Also, around the 6000 miles ago I started getting a squeal/whistle on throttle tip-in when accelerating and when the DSG rev matches during downshifts. This squeal/whistle would only occur after driving an extended amount of time and if I shut the engine off and turned it back on, the squeal/whistle would go away. When the car squeals/whistles, there is almost no boost and once the noise suddenly stops...the boost comes on like a switch. I do have an DV+ kit and there is not a drop of oil near it or the valve. Also, no codes are generated and the car runs/idles smoothly.

I do notice an excessive amount of smoke when accelerating quickly and no obvious oil leaks in the engine bay or under my car (I park in the same spot at work everyday). That many quarts of lost oil would definitely leave a stain/trail somewhere.

My question is, can a failing PCV cause this squeal/whistle and the oil consumption I've been experiencing?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
For the last 6000 miles I have been experiencing oil consumption at a rate that wasn't present before. It comes out to roughly 2.5 quarts every 2k miles and has thrown a low oil pressure light twice (never did it before in the 140k miles I've driven).

Also, around the 6000 miles ago I started getting a squeal/whistle on throttle tip-in when accelerating and when the DSG rev matches during downshifts. This squeal/whistle would only occur after driving an extended amount of time and if I shut the engine off and turned it back on, the squeal/whistle would go away. When the car squeals/whistles, there is almost no boost and once the noise suddenly stops...the boost comes on like a switch. I do have an DV+ kit and there is not a drop of oil near it or the valve. Also, no codes are generated and the car runs/idles smoothly.

I do notice an excessive amount of smoke when accelerating quickly and no obvious oil leaks in the engine bay or under my car (I park in the same spot at work everyday). That many quarts of lost oil would definitely leave a stain/trail somewhere.

My question is, can a failing PCV cause this squeal/whistle and the oil consumption I've been experiencing?

The fact you’re getting this noise and no boost and also smoke when on the throttle would suggest to me it’s turbo related,
Take a look at this clip for some good info related to the PCV,
https://youtu.be/hQEciqR1ST8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

Sounded like failed PCV and rear main seal up until you mentioned a lot of smoke on acceleration and no oil stains, definitely sounds like turbo seals or some other turbo failure. Sucks dude. How many miles does the car have?

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
The fact you’re getting this noise and no boost and also smoke when on the throttle would suggest to me it’s turbo related,
Take a look at this clip for some good info related to the PCV,
https://youtu.be/hQEciqR1ST8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No boost was actually incorrect on my part because I was backing off the throttle until the noise stopped. I realized that even when the noise is occurring, there is boost. I give it gas and the car builds RPMs in a linear manner, while the noise happens on the initial tip in.

Sounded like failed PCV and rear main seal up until you mentioned a lot of smoke on acceleration and no oil stains, definitely sounds like turbo seals or some other turbo failure. Sucks dude. How many miles does the car have?

I took the car to my local mechanic yesterday and there was no oil to be found. No oil near the DV valve, PCV valve, valve covers etc...there was the slightest oil stain near the rear main seal but it was nearly dry to the touch. My mechanic told me it was probably the PCV because there are no codes and the car drives fine (aside from the noise when the engine is hot).

Fast forward to today, I received an OEM PCV valve from the dealer and installed. During the install, oil literally poured out of the turbo breather tube on the back of the PCV and there was some oil in the intake breather tube on the front of the PCV. Fingers crossed it's the PCV, I'll update soon once I go on a long drive.

The car has just over 140k miles on it and I've had it since new

UberFast

Ready to race!
No boost was actually incorrect on my part because I was backing off the throttle until the noise stopped. I realized that even when the noise is occurring, there is boost. I give it gas and the car builds RPMs in a linear manner, while the noise happens on the initial tip in.

I took the car to my local mechanic yesterday and there was no oil to be found. No oil near the DV valve, PCV valve, valve covers etc...there was the slightest oil stain near the rear main seal but it was nearly dry to the touch. My mechanic told me it was probably the PCV because there are no codes and the car drives fine (aside from the noise when the engine is hot).

Fast forward to today, I received an OEM PCV valve from the dealer and installed. During the install, oil literally poured out of the turbo breather tube on the back of the PCV and there was some oil in the intake breather tube on the front of the PCV. Fingers crossed it's the PCV, I'll update soon once I go on a long drive.

The car has just over 140k miles on it and I've had it since new
I know it's been a year but did that solve your issue?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
time to stock up on PCV's!!!

Soupcan-Sam

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a new one on order, from China of course. $100. I will be sure to repost here IF it solves my problems, and add it my build thread. So, yay?

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
time to stock up on PCV's!!!
picked one up from FCP last year as a preventative maintenance. i didn't have any problems with my existing one whatsoever but i heard enough about the horror storries of it breaking through the rear main seal that i figured i'd just get it dealt with for piece of mind. now i'll just change it out along with the coil packs/spark plugs every 40k thanks to the lifetime replacement.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
picked one up from FCP last year as a preventative maintenance. i didn't have any problems with my existing one whatsoever but i heard enough about the horror storries of it breaking through the rear main seal that i figured i'd just get it dealt with for piece of mind. now i'll just change it out along with the coil packs/spark plugs every 40k thanks to the lifetime replacement.
ya... I heard that it will blow the RMS... eventually when the PCV fails... wild.... so every 40k replace the PCV along with ignition coils and spark plugs? got it!

Soupcan-Sam

Passed Driver's Ed
CONFIRMED.

I replaced this PCV valve oil separator, otherwise known as the oil breather. It fixed my problems. I bought one for $100 on eBay, shipped from China. Says it was authentic, has all the right markings. Time will tell.

I was going through nearly 2 quarts of oil every 300-400 miles. White smoke was clearly seen, especially in the lower gears, whether downshifting or taking off from a stop. This was an issue that crept up on me, getting worse every 3-4 months in my opinion.

I noticed immediate improvement once the part was installed. I recommend having your mechanic do it. Others have reported misfires after trying to replace it themselves, likely because you need to remove the ignition coils during the install.