GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Insurance Companies & Rates

elbles

Passed Driver's Ed
Since this is a forum for pricing, I figure insurance could fall into this category just as easily as the pricing of the car, or fuel economy, hah.

I've gotten quotes from Esurance and Progressive so far. Esurance came back at $1,240 a year for full coverage with a $500 deductible; Progressive came back at $1,098 per year for the same. I'm 24 with a clean record, but I was still kind of surprised at how low these rates are.

Anyone have any opinions on either of these companies? It's the first time I've shopped for a policy myself, believe it or not, so while I'm comfortable with the rates, I'm not sure if I should be considering anything else (i.e., customer service, percentage rate increases with claims, et cetera).

Feel free to post your rates too, if you're comfortable doing so. :)

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
I would check with GEICO and Allstate as well. Esurance was super high for me compared to others, and I'm 28 with a clean record

elbles

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm definitely planning on checking out a few more companies before doing anything, but I was pleasantly surprised by how (relatively) low the rates were on a car that's not terribly slow. About three years ago, I looked into the same coverage for my Impreza (a car about 30 HP short of the GTI, with two more doors), and I was pushing $1800/year. Age does help a bit, I guess...

xenon

Ready to race!
Perth, Western Australia $AUS 512.oo $400 excess and free windshield and 2 weeks car rental in case of accident.

Next best was $680 and then $1050 up to $1800 all with more restrictions than the AAMI one which I gladly paid for in total.

Tonite102

Right now I have Geico at $1020 for 6 months. 2 DR GTI. I'm in California and 31, now clean record. I used to have progressive, and the one time I did have something go wrong (about 6 years back) they took good care of the claim. My BMW was in the shop for a month, so I was really glad I had gotten rental car reimbursement.

chucka

Ready to race!
I'm 35
Clean Record
4 door GTI
$91 a month
Statefarm

I get a little discount also because my home insurance is with them also.

Brum85

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 4 door.
24 years old
Clean record.
Geico full coverage.
$95 a month.

I'm on there with my wife who has an 09 Jetta, so that gets me some nice discounts.

KanDyWyte1

Ready to race!
I have a 4 door.
24 years old
Clean record.
Geico full coverage.
$95 a month.

I'm on there with my wife who has an 09 Jetta, so that gets me some nice discounts.

Ha! I have the same setup (full coverage/24 yo/4-door/clean record...except I'm single) and my sister is my ALLSTATE agent.
I pay $90/month.

scottw86

Passed Driver's Ed
How are people getting rates around $500/6months? The lowest I've been quoted is $950 (Male, 24 years old, 1 minor speeding violation). And that is with a $1000 deductible.

The liability coverage alone is around $500 for me. Maybe I should just get less of that? :iono:

Maybe the insurance companies see my speeding ticket and conclude that I'm a fireball of death waiting to happen?

Walter2

Ready to race!
How are people getting rates around $500/6months? The lowest I've been quoted is $950 (Male, 24 years old, 1 minor speeding violation). And that is with a $1000 deductible.

The liability coverage alone is around $500 for me. Maybe I should just get less of that? :iono:

Maybe the insurance companies see my speeding ticket and conclude that I'm a fireball of death waiting to happen?

unfortunately that's the case. I have one ticket (which was bullshit) and the cheapest I got was 740/6 month with USAA. Geico wanted $1500/6 month. Couldn't believe it.

GotMineGetUrs

Seriously though HOW ARE people getting quotes of $600 or less for 6 mos? I mean I know insurance is really pricey here in NY. Geico has been ok (still really high at $1,010 for 6mos), but I've been receiving quotes from other companies that would only make sense if I was driving a gold Lambo with diamond rims.

Brum85

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a buddy here at work, when he was 21-22 he had an Arcua RSX -S and was paying $400 a month in insurance. He had 2 tickets and 2 accidents on his record.

He only kept that car for about 2 years.

Long story short, insurance companies will take you to the damn cleaners if they can. Best bet for lower rates = turn 25, no tickets, no accidents, married. (Also having more than one car with the same company, or having your house or something with them)