GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tensioner Swap Cost

pdykstra600

Go Kart Champion
Hey everyone,

I have a 2011 Mk6 GTI with ~58,000 miles on it. I'm APR stage 1 with CAI. I'm thinking about doing the TSI Tensioner update since I am quickly approaching the end of my Powertrain warranty, and plan to keep this car for another 4+ years.

What is the current advice regarding when to do this service? Should I get this changed asap?

What am I looking at in terms of cost to do the swap? I will look around for quotes but want to make sure they seem reasonable compared to what others are paying. I do not have time or resources to do this myself, so looking to have a shop do it.

I also could use a new clutch as mine has been slipping a bit due to the stage 1 tune. Would probably go with RSR clutch. Should I try to have both tensioner swap and clutch install done at the same time?

Thanks! :)

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
the official thread had some quotes thrown around recently, but you're generally looking at around $500-800 for just the tensioner swapped, or ~$1500+ for tensioner and chains.

FWIW, i had my tensioner replaced as preventative maintenance and i still managed to blow my motor by revving into the redline -- had to get a new engine swapped in. just plain bad luck.

bdegen94

Ready to race!
I was quoted about 1600 all set and done, but don't they have a extended 100k warranty?

pdykstra600

Go Kart Champion
I was quoted about 1600 all set and done, but don't they have a extended 100k warranty?

Where did you hear that they extended the warranty to 100k on the tensioner? Powertrain warranty ends at 60k, and I've never seen anywhere that the tensioner was an exception to this.

Does anyone know how widespread the tensioner failure is? I know there's lot of TSI's out there, but recent reports seem to suggest the failure is becoming more common.

zrickety

The Fixer
If it's sludge related from extended oil changes, it would make sense more cars are failing.

pdykstra600

Go Kart Champion
If it's sludge related from extended oil changes, it would make sense more cars are failing.

That would make sense, and also concerns me a bit since I've been following the recommended maintenance schedule. I've done oil changes on average about once every 9,000 miles (1,000 less than recommended). Does that leave me more at risk for the tensioner failure? I see a number of people here saying to do it every 5,000.

I personally think the 10,000k OCI is strictly for VW warranty purpose; cost savings at dealership as this would net you 3 total free oil changes under the warranty.

I also fee that Europe has better gasoline and better oil which would allow the motors to go for 10k OCI without issue

I change my oil every 5k miles, for added insurance and peace of mind. I drive the piss out of my car and do not baby it by any means. daily it hits rev limiter; just cannot help myself to to not stay out of throttle.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
That would make sense, and also concerns me a bit since I've been following the recommended maintenance schedule. I've done oil changes on average about once every 9,000 miles (1,000 less than recommended). Does that leave me more at risk for the tensioner failure? I see a number of people here saying to do it every 5,000.

Not sure if you're at risk. But i do oil changes every 5k miles. it cost about $60 if i do it myself or $80 if i have the dealer. Right now i use the factory castrol edge oil... once i get Frankenturbo ill probably change brands to somethings else

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I do them for $350 labor, plus parts (lower timing cover, tensioner, bolts, sealant). So all in all it would cost ~$650. I only change the tensioner only and leave the chains alone. I've probably done 20 of these and every single one the tensioner extends to the same exact position. With that being said, it seems like we don't get much, if any, chain stretch after a lot of miles. I do my personal vehicle every 50k (I've done it twice), and have done other cars with anywhere from 40-90k.

Mr2U

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes you should do this soon.
I have a 2012 and am getting ready to do it, before my warranty is out.

The kit is about $350, Labor at my dealer is $650.
I interviewed a few mechanics, before i found one, that is comfortable with doing this, and has been inside many engines.

If i was near PA, i would go with the guy who has done 20.

pdykstra600

Go Kart Champion
I am scheduled to do this as well as a KMD clutch install this Wednesday. I plan to keep the car for another 4+ years, so doing this now makes sense to me.

For those of you wondering, the price I got quoted is $750 (parts and labor) for the TSI tensioner update. The parts include the updated tensioner, and a new cover.

vdubmk61

I am scheduled to do this as well as a KMD clutch install this Wednesday. I plan to keep the car for another 4+ years, so doing this now makes sense to me.

For those of you wondering, the price I got quoted is $750 (parts and labor) for the TSI tensioner update. The parts include the updated tensioner, and a new cover.

I'm curious where you're having this done - was quoted $1,400 at redline speed worx and $2,000 at dealer for the timing chain and tensioner. Really would like to get this done soon as my 2010 is at 86k.

zrickety

The Fixer
The chains and guides probably double the price. I basically got the hs tuning kit, just tensioner, bolts and the cover.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
We have been doing more more of these lately. If anyone in the Tristate area is interested in quote please let me know. Book time on these jobs is 6 hours, but the higher price quotes usually include replacing the upper cover since it never tends to reseal after being removed, based off of what we have experienced.

Greg