GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender damage to tire, is my tire safe?

Vaalbara

So, i recently installed some Firehawk Indy 500's on my MK6 and im in love with them. The only downside is that, since im lowered and on 17's, im subject to a lil fender rub now and again. Today i noticed that there was a small bit of wear on a portion of the tread, where the rubber was flaky, but it wasnt peeling or very deep, maybe 1/16" deep in comparison to the rest of the tire.

After some inspection i noticed that my fender was bent down at a spot, not really sharp, just protruding, like someone had wedged it the opposite way. I bent it back up, but my real concern is whether or not this tire is toast or if it'll wear evenly eventually.

Is this tire safe to drive on? It isnt on the sidewall, it's on the outside tread right before it turns down to meet the sidewall. Would post pictures but its kinda hard to capture without decent contrast and it's a cloudy day.

EDIT: Photos in IMGUR album here: https://imgur.com/gallery/bHKykYw

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Have you done the fender screw mod yet? If that doesn't help enough your other option is to roll the fenders, but I don't think there's much you can do for the back.

I've done the same and never had any issues with a tire so I want to say you'll be fine, but I guess I could be wrong, depends on how deep it is really.

Vaalbara

Was going to suggest the fender screw mod but sterkrazy got it covered. That solves the problem for most. If it doesn't come up a little bit.

I've done the screw mod and it's taken away most of the rub on hard corners, it's just that some Knoxville roads are littered with craters so it's not hard to bottom out and the tire rub a little. That, however, is not the point of the post.

I'll take a photo when I get the chance, that way you can all see what I'm talking about

Yakuzi

Ready to race!
Dont worry about it, your tires will be fine, mine are way worse than that from being too low and excessive offset. I'll see if I can post mine when i get to my car at home later.

zrickety

The Fixer
You're fine. No problem until it gets below the tread, you've got plenty of life left on those. Those are superficial scratches at best.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
pic looks okay to me. Not ideal but it doesnt look worry some.