GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf mk6 rough ride after new suspension

jimbobf

Hi everyone,

I've just swapped by shocks and springs at 115k as they were noticeably worn and 2 were misting oil,

I swapped out for Bilstein OEMs in the front and back.

Originally I had some cheaper Meyle shocks and KYB springs for the back but put them in and noticed the ride in the back was all over the place and very hard.
I swapped for the bilsteins and the ride was exactly the same.

I took it to my local garage who say I've done a good job installing it all, so no problems there, but its noticeably really rough in the back.

I had slightly perished front bushes so I replaced the front control arms but that obviously hasn't made much of a difference.

I had my local ATS do a 4 wheel alignment, but that hasn't got rid of the issue.

Could it be my rear bushes that are causing the vagueness and bad ride?
My tyres are only a few months old all round, and I imagine they must have checked the balance when they did the alignment.

Not sure what to try next. I've got some lower transverse links and rear control arms I bought for my mk5 but don't want to swap them out if it won't help with the issue.

Has anyone got any ideas to try? It winds me up every time I drive the car lol

thanks

Jimmy

jimbobf

Also, I checked the codes and definitely put the right OE shocks and springs in (standards for my SE as opposed to sports)

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I think I've heard Bilstein is a pretty rough suspension but someone else using them feel free to chime in.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Also, I checked the codes and definitely put the right OE shocks and springs in (standards for my SE as opposed to sports)
So confirming u did springs and struts? If so might take a while for them to settle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jimbobf

New struts up front, springs and shocks and springs and shocks at the back. So all new, with new mounts.
The Bisteins were the black Bilstein touring ones so should be similar to stock rather than the performance Bilsteins.

As you say, could just need some time to settle.
When I was checking my rear ARB the other day I did notice the rear bushes seemed pretty worn and a bit creaky, but not sure if this would make much of a difference?

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
What exact Bilstien struts did you install? Part #s? The ones designated for mk6s are valved a little more stiff than the ones for mk5s even though they both fit identically. I have mk6 b8 struts in my mk5 r32 for example paired with vwr springs because the mk5 is so heavy. It works for me. In the mk6 gti I have pss10s after I destroyed pss9s from excessive wheel hop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbobf

183-712 were the front shocks,
B4 rear shocks 19-183749
Rear springs 36-241521

Can’t remember the front spring code, but it matches up with the front shocks.
I did the rears first, and noticed they were pretty hard but wallowy straight away, then did the fronts a week later thinking it would even it out, but didn’t.

The rear Merle shocks with KYB springs were just as rough which is why I went all bilstein straight away hoping it would be better!

ducatiti

Ready to race!
I have the Bilstein B12 kit on my E90, with B8's and the ride is a bit more harsh compared to the stock setup. Bilstein's are known to be more stiff especially when new. They are know in the BMW forums to settle after 300+ miles and the B4's are about 10% more stiff than the stock suspension.