GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Continental dws extremecontact dws review

Lmike6453

Ready to race!
These are not the dws06. I wanted the standard dws because they were rated for snow, where as the dws06 said nothing about snow for the design. If I didn't live in Michigan, I would've gone with the dws06 for sure.

I just ordered the DWS06 and am getting them on Monday. I live in a high snow area(Philadelphia) and expect these to work decently in light snow.

Taken from their website: http://www.continentaltire.com/content/continental-tire-launches-extremecontact™-dws06

The Dry, Wet and Snow letters in the tread indicate the tire’s optimal performance levels in a variety of driving conditions.

“The ExtremeContactTM DWS06 is the evolution of our very popular, ExtremeContactTM DWS,” said Travis Roffler, director of marketing for Continental Tire. “This is the ultimate UHP, all-season tire. We’ve maintained excellent snow traction while making improvements in wet traction, dry handling and tread life. This is a tire enthusiasts will really enjoy.”

Additionally, all-season traction is enhanced through the use of Traction Grooves and X-Sipes. Traction Grooves improve snow performance through increased pattern edges while X-Sipes improve braking, cornering and acceleration in wet, snow and ice.

Greywolf

Passed Driver's Ed
After 2 sidewall bubbles on the OEM Pirellis, I went to the DWS on the GTI last winter. We also have had them on my wife's 550i for about 2 years. They are a very good all season tire as her RWD V8 has no real issues in the snow up here in Wisconsin, and they greatly improved the dry traction on the GTI. I will point out that they will get noisier as they wear. I wouldn't hesitate to get a third set for another vehicle if we had one to put them on. I am curious to compare the DWS06 firsthand though.

KO7

Ready to race!
DWS06 is my next tire since I'm selling my 16" winter steelies and tires this winter. We had an extremely mild winter last year in Vancouver, and I'm not planning to head to the mountains to snowboard so I'll go with these all year round. Choosing them over the AS3 just in case of mild snow / ice.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
After 2 sidewall bubbles on the OEM Pirellis, I went to the DWS on the GTI last winter. We also have had them on my wife's 550i for about 2 years. They are a very good all season tire as her RWD V8 has no real issues in the snow up here in Wisconsin, and they greatly improved the dry traction on the GTI. I will point out that they will get noisier as they wear. I wouldn't hesitate to get a third set for another vehicle if we had one to put them on. I am curious to compare the DWS06 firsthand though.

I had a sidewall bubble on my stock pirellis too.

Lmike6453

Ready to race!

I had a sidewall bubble on my stock pirellis too.

I have sidewall bubbles in all 4 of my Pirelli's right now! Completely unacceptable for stock tires that come with the car, but great to hear that your DWS' don't have any issues so far.

upon31

Passed Driver's Ed
DWS means Dry, Wet & Snow, so if the new version wasn't rated for light snow, it would be the DW, which is a very different tire.

The PSAS3 is a great tire, but terrible in even light snow. Even a couple of Michelin engineers I spoke to about the choice of PSAS3 or DWS for snow needs would take the Conti over their own tire.

The DWS is NOT a snow tire, though, so if you see severe weather, you may want to consider a dedicated winter tire option.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
so the dws06 still has soft sidewalls like the previous dws? i had as3 on the mk6 and loved it. i hear as3 is slightly better than p-zero's on light snow performance iirc, how would you compare on snow performance vs stock dunlops? i live in virginia and if we get heavy snow, everything would close anyway, so i wont need to be driving in that condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Ohhhh the DWS; had them for 25K miles. Great tires at the time. They perform well. However, they aren't a perfect match for the GTI. That nod goes to the A/S3. When they wear out use the credit the give you for a set of Pilot Sports. Did exactly that as they were a bit too expensive without the credit. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 are leagues better in terms of grip, steering feel, and road noise. Perhaps ride comfort is the only be area the DWS excelled co pared to those.
The DWS has too much sidewall flex (again, compared to the AS3, which improved steering to the point it feels sharper than the Mk7 on OEM tires).
Great choice for the money but anyone who can should spend the extra $200 on Michelin Pilot Sports.

upon31

Passed Driver's Ed
Great choice for the money but anyone who can should spend the extra $200 on Michelin Pilot Sports.

Even though they both call themselves "Ultra High Performance All Season" tires, that is a very apples to oranges comparison. First, very different price points. Second, the PSAS3 is very much a 3-season tire in a good chunk of the US. Michelin likes to compare the tire to the DWS, but as a 4-season tire, it's only attribute for winter is the compound is very cold weather friendly, not snow friendly.

I compared these two tires back-to-back in closed course testing in identical cars, and you are correct—the Contis have a more forgiving sidewall. The PSAS3 out performs it on the track in the dry, no contest (though I felt the DWS was flickable fun in a RWD car).

The PSAS3 is a fantastic UHP tire, and even beats many other UHP summer tires in performance categories. Depending on where you live, though, it is a stretch to call it a 4-season tire. In the snow belt, I would never run the PSAS3 all year-round, not even on a 4wd car—far too dangerous.

Bang for the buck, the DWS is a better buy if you get more than 3" and less than say 30" of snow a winter. If you get more than that, a dedicated snow tire is a better bet, combined with a UHP summer tire for warm weather months. Less than 3-6" of snow a year and the PSAS is an unreal tire in most conditions.

Point being, the best UHP A/S tire for you depends massively on where you live, what kind of car you drive, how much you drive, and what your overall needs are in an all season performance tire. No two needs will be the same, and one guys perfect tire will be another's worst purchase ever.

zrickety

The Fixer
Snow and ice are game changers for sure. Ultra high performance is a relative term, every move should be slow motion in real snow. These states that shut down for a quarter inch are ridiculous.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Even though they both call themselves "Ultra High Performance All Season" tires, that is a very apples to oranges comparison. First, very different price points. Second, the PSAS3 is very much a 3-season tire in a good chunk of the US. Michelin likes to compare the tire to the DWS, but as a 4-season tire, it's only attribute for winter is the compound is very cold weather friendly, not snow friendly.

I compared these two tires back-to-back in closed course testing in identical cars, and you are correct—the Contis have a more forgiving sidewall. The PSAS3 out performs it on the track in the dry, no contest (though I felt the DWS was flickable fun in a RWD car).

The PSAS3 is a fantastic UHP tire, and even beats many other UHP summer tires in performance categories. Depending on where you live, though, it is a stretch to call it a 4-season tire. In the snow belt, I would never run the PSAS3 all year-round, not even on a 4wd car—far too dangerous.

Bang for the buck, the DWS is a better buy if you get more than 3" and less than say 30" of snow a winter. If you get more than that, a dedicated snow tire is a better bet, combined with a UHP summer tire for warm weather months. Less than 3-6" of snow a year and the PSAS is an unreal tire in most conditions.

Point being, the best UHP A/S tire for you depends massively on where you live, what kind of car you drive, how much you drive, and what your overall needs are in an all season performance tire. No two needs will be the same, and one guys perfect tire will be another's worst purchase ever.

For sure. Here in Nashville we get about 5" of snow annually; had an ice storm this past winter and the AS3s performed quite well. That said, the DWS would be preferable if we got more than 5 days of snow annually in our area. Performance-wise (ignoring cost; no experience in deep snow) the DWS is compromised for comfort and the AS3 leans towards performance at the expense of a smoother ride. Potholes are less harsh on the DWS.