GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 country

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
Super interesting. Subbed.

Curiously, how often do you plastidip your car and how much does it usually cost all said and done to do it. Thinking of changing up the color on mine.

all depends on how long i enjoy the color for, the last color i had on for two years and it looked good the whole time. at this point ive got it down to a science and it costs me about 180 in materials to do a basic color. next summer i may vinyl wrap the car so i can have a nice gloss finish of the color i want to do next but then i would be commiting to a color for more then a year due to the increase in cost associated with vinyl wrapping

davserbic

Ready to race!
all depends on how long i enjoy the color for, the last color i had on for two years and it looked good the whole time. at this point ive got it down to a science and it costs me about 180 in materials to do a basic color. next summer i may vinyl wrap the car so i can have a nice gloss finish of the color i want to do next but then i would be commiting to a color for more then a year due to the increase in cost associated with vinyl wrapping

Do you / would you paint other member's cars?

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
i have in the past. i used to run a small side business and i did probably 10 cars other then my own. in all honesty though the amount of time it takes to do someones car even though materials cost me about 250-300 to do a car i didn't find that I was charging enough to make it worth my time. I used to charge 600 to dip a car in a basic color but I would need to charge 800 to make it worth my time and most people didn't want to pay that. One of my friends help me out when i do it so I like to throw them about half of the profit so at 600 we were only each making 150 for a very long and exhausting day.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
i have in the past. i used to run a small side business and i did probably 10 cars other then my own. in all honesty though the amount of time it takes to do someones car even though materials cost me about 250-300 to do a car i didn't find that I was charging enough to make it worth my time. I used to charge 600 to dip a car in a basic color but I would need to charge 800 to make it worth my time and most people didn't want to pay that. One of my friends help me out when i do it so I like to throw them about half of the profit so at 600 we were only each making 150 for a very long and exhausting day.

I just dipped mine a couple months ago. Something I struggled with was around the antenna, window seals along the door perpendicular to the ground, and door seals where they meet the body. I was able to get them so I'm happy but curious, Do you remove the trim or just tape up to the edge and peel while wet? I think I was so focused on making sure those edges were wet got them too thick so when the last coat went on it couldn't wet all the way through... Plus I had to paint it over 2 days so the base color dried overnight. I've done several large jobs like this. (DSM, enclosed trailer, motorcycle) but was fortunate enough not to have to deal with a dipped edge touching an edge I didn't want dipped till this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davserbic

Ready to race!
I just dipped mine a couple months ago. Something I struggled with was around the antenna, window seals along the door perpendicular to the ground, and door seals where they meet the body. I was able to get them so I'm happy but curious, Do you remove the trim or just tape up to the edge and peel while wet? I think I was so focused on making sure those edges were wet got them too thick so when the last coat went on it couldn't wet all the way through... Plus I had to paint it over 2 days so the base color dried overnight. I've done several large jobs like this. (DSM, enclosed trailer, motorcycle) but was fortunate enough not to have to deal with a dipped edge touching an edge I didn't want dipped till this car.

I see your perspective.

Materials costing $300, labor for your time and effort to make $500 does not outweigh the benefits of a consumer spending $800 for a plastidip job. Especially to constantly do it. How long does it take to do the job from start to finish?

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion

The key is definitely peel while wet, if I had to do a job over two days I would peel the parts that touch the body and re tape that the next day

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
I see your perspective.

Materials costing $300, labor for your time and effort to make $500 does not outweigh the benefits of a consumer spending $800 for a plastidip job. Especially to constantly do it. How long does it take to do the job from start to finish?
My process for a customer car is basically drop off evening before so I can give the car a wash that is up to my standards for a prep wash and then I let the car sit over night in my shop. Then the next day from the time I start to finish is roughly 8 hours sometimes alittle more sometimes alittle less. So about 10 hours total roughly

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
The key is definitely peel while wet, if I had to do a job over two days I would peel the parts that touch the body and re tape that the next day

Thanks for the advice. Originally I felt like my problem was too much product there but as I wrote it out and thought about your post I suspected the time factor may be the bigger issue. Next time will go better for sure[emoji106] I'm thinking about wrapping it next time though just to try it :)

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
No new updates but finally took out the old DSLR camera to take some decent pictures

Might hopefully be cutting my arches sooner then later and pushing the wheels out alittle more so I can run some flares

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
Went to a local vw show that I in the past won 2nd and 1st when my car was stanced. And won 2nd place this year with the golf "country"

maxmillion

Just curious about the spacers. I just did my mk6 with 2014 tiggy coils, struts ect. Installed 215 75 15 on steelies. Heading to alignment tomorrow. Any surprises I need to be prepared for?

sccTR

Hi all,

I discovered this great forum and registered to share my experiences and ask questions thanks to this beautiful topic.

Awesome car!

Could you share an update about your cars please? @eneubaurer & @maxmillion

Thanks.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Six year old thread, but still... really fun idea, I'd love an update but it seems like that's probably not going to happen.