GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 Resale Value

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Usually if you get over the trade in value it means they didn't give you any kind of deal on the new car.

You really need to know the true cost of the car you are buying & the value of your trade. If you do know that it will be easy to spot them playing one car against the other.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
I buy cars for the joy of driving and experience of the car. Resale value doesn't even cross my mind. Plus I got my 2012 gti autobahn for 10k with less than 50k on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I buy cars for the joy of driving and experience of the car. Resale value doesn't even cross my mind. Plus I got my 2012 gti autobahn for 10k with less than 50k on her.

This is how i feel. Sure resale is something to think about but the only reason i even got the GTI is because the volvo got wrecked in an accident. Otherwise i probably would have still been rocking the volvo.

maine-mk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Very true they are all depreciating assets

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
It's a compound of sorts. Diesel scandal + MK7/MK7.5 on the market.

I asked the dealership how much they could offer on my car as a trade-in. Needless to say, I was very insulted at the peanuts they offered.

I was considering trading in my GLI, 2012 Autobahn 6MT with 50k on it... they told me 10k trade in... I laughed and left.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
I guess if we truly cared about resale value we would all be driving BMWs and never use our turn signals.

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed

How much less than 50k? Because it seems like 12' GLIs are selling for ~13k with 50k on them so 10k on trade isn't bad....

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
My 2010 GTI, with less than 10 thousand miles, never been driven in the rain, mint condition, oh well, my plan has always been to give it to my grand son and the turbo beetle with less than 5K, also never been driven in the rain, both garage kept, give it to my grand daughter.

That will be happening in a couple of years.

They get a good car, like new, and i got bumper to bumper warranty on both til 2020, or 75 K, for 800 dollars each. Great warranty and real reasonable because of the extremely low mileage.

So as a grand father it works for me.

Unless either doesn't want the cars, we will see.

lostk

Ready to race!
I guess if we truly cared about resale value we would all be driving BMWs and never use our turn signals.

bmw's dont have great resale values either...next car will be a subie for me...so done w/ vw after this

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
My 2012 WRX was probably the best car I ever owned with regards to trade-in value. I owned the car for nearly two years and received $2,000 less than I paid for it when I traded it in.

If you think trade-in value is bad now, you should have seen some of my offers when I was looking to trade my GTI in after the diesel scandal broke. I can't believe one dealership had the balls to offer me $6,500 for my 2013 Drivers Edition at the end of 2014 or beginning of 2015. I told the sales associate he would have been better off telling me that they weren't taking VWs versus trying to pull that bullshit. I made it a point to tell him that by insulting me, I will make it a point to NEVER consider that particular Infiniti dealership again! In other words, welcome to MY personal blacklist!

markgbe

Passed Driver's Ed
Depreciation is just heavier on german cars, it's the way it is.

If you want better resale value, buy toyota, honda or lexus. Subaru is an option, but anything between 2008-2015 wrx wise is ugly as sin, just a grandma car with a hood scoop. 2016s and 2017s do look a bit nicer i will say.

Last edited:

Falcor

I am considering going from my 2010 Outback to a GTI, and these lower prices are looking good to me. The downside is if they keep dropping, that would put me in the same boat as most who have commented here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I am considering going from my 2010 Outback to a GTI, and these lower prices are looking good to me. The downside is if they keep dropping, that would put me in the same boat as most who have commented here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you plan on keeping the GTI for a long time if you end up getting one?