GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 DSG questions

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Hello all, my first GTI was a 2012 MT GTI, and i loved it even on stock power due to the short gears. then i got a MK7 MT and, while the power was better than the MK6, the gearing neutered it. I dreamed of doing a trans swap to combine my favorite elements of both worlds, but i was in college and never could afford it.

Well, now I have a second MK7, and this one is DSG, and if i thought the gearing on the MK7 MT was bad, the DSG's gearing absolutely kills the fun of the car (especially when combined with the factory TCU programming that races to 6th).

I also need a new transmission because I installed a pendulum mount that subsequently stressed the DSG housing so much that the part that the pendulum mount bolted on to has sheered off the trans housing. because this was caused by the mod, the issue will not be covered by my B2B warranty.

so, i'm looking at MK6 DSGs for my trans replacement. this should work, right? the DQ250 is the same transmission in all but gearing between the generations, right?

so what are the ratios like on the MK6 DSG? because i've never actually driven a MK6 DSG, but i'm assuming it's like the MK7: the DSG has taller gears than the manual. so i just want to know what the engine spins at in different gears? what's the RPM @ 60, 70, 80 MPH in 6th? and so on with the other gears. i'm only gonna do it if the difference is big enough to be worth the risk i'm taking by putting in a different trans in my DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
I feel like the DSG is geared a little shorter than the MT in this gen. I've owned both. I'm not sure how backwards compatible your Mk7 is, the transmission swap sounds like a gamble. Yes, the computer shifts to 6th way too soon...that's why I do all the shifting in manual mode. I don't feel the need for a TCU tune, I don't even miss the clutch pedal. If your car is missing some fun, stage 1 will bring the smiles back.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Mk7 GTI Gear Ratios[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th Final[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]6MT 3.76 2.03 1.46 1.08 0.88 0.74 3.42[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]DSG 2.92 1.79 1.14 0.78 0.58 0.46 4.77[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Manual Automatic (MK6/MK5)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Transmission Code (may vary) GVT HBQ[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Transmission Gear Ratios:1 1st 3.36 3.46[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]2nd 2.09 2.15[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]3rd 1.47 1.46[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]4th 1.10 1.08[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]5th 1.11 1.09[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]6th 0.93 0.92[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Reverse 1.64 3.98[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Final I 3.94 4.06[/FONT][/FONT]

Uberryan

Banned
Hello all, my first GTI was a 2012 MT GTI, and i loved it even on stock power due to the short gears. then i got a MK7 MT and, while the power was better than the MK6, the gearing neutered it. I dreamed of doing a trans swap to combine my favorite elements of both worlds, but i was in college and never could afford it.

Well, now I have a second MK7, and this one is DSG, and if i thought the gearing on the MK7 MT was bad, the DSG's gearing absolutely kills the fun of the car (especially when combined with the factory TCU programming that races to 6th).

I also need a new transmission because I installed a pendulum mount that subsequently stressed the DSG housing so much that the part that the pendulum mount bolted on to has sheered off the trans housing. because this was caused by the mod, the issue will not be covered by my B2B warranty.

so, i'm looking at MK6 DSGs for my trans replacement. this should work, right? the DQ250 is the same transmission in all but gearing between the generations, right?

so what are the ratios like on the MK6 DSG? because i've never actually driven a MK6 DSG, but i'm assuming it's like the MK7: the DSG has taller gears than the manual. so i just want to know what the engine spins at in different gears? what's the RPM @ 60, 70, 80 MPH in 6th? and so on with the other gears. i'm only gonna do it if the difference is big enough to be worth the risk i'm taking by putting in a different trans in my DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK6 DSG has 6 gears... MK7 has 7 as I recall. I don't think retro-programming is possible here.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
MK6 DSG has 6 gears... MK7 has 7 as I recall. I don't think retro-programming is possible here.

The only MK7 with a 7-speed DSG is the 2018 Golf R. And that's the DQ381. The 2015-2017's had the same as the GTI with shorter gears (just like the MK6's). The MK7 GTI has the same DSG as the MK6 GTI, the DQ250.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
But yeah i'm just gonna revert my car to stock and take it to an unaffiliated dealer and play dumb. They'll cover the trans.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Lol... Oh please forgive me for colluding to defraud a multi-billion dollar company that defrauds buyers on a daily basis. I'll be sure to flick the splinter out of my eye before pulling the plank from theirs.

That analogy would make sense if you had an example of how I have a plank in my own eye.

If you believe VW is "defraud(ing) buyers on a daily basis" how can, in good conscience, own one of their cars?

Admitting that the modification broke something, taking it to the dealer and "play(ing) dumb" is immoral no matter how you look at it. Trying to trick a company into taking responsibility for your mistake is unethical regardless of what you believe that company is doing to customers.

Uberryan

Banned
That analogy would make sense if you had an example of how I have a plank in my own eye.

If you believe VW is "defraud(ing) buyers on a daily basis" how can, in good conscience, own one of their cars?

Admitting that the modification broke something, taking it to the dealer and "play(ing) dumb" is immoral no matter how you look at it. Trying to trick a company into taking responsibility for your mistake is unethical regardless of what you believe that company is doing to customers.

I own one, because all big companies typically defraud their customers... there is no escape. The plank isn't in regards to your own eye, but the eye of VW. Being an opportunist and taking advantage of a certain circumstance to save yourself a great expense is the SMARTEST move. Ethically speaking? I'm not concerned about ethics. Never have, and never really will. When a corporation like VW shows moral ethic in regards to providing extended services on their failure-prone parts or models, then I'll change my tune. Since their design is "money money money", so shall mine, and apparently OP's.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion

There's a thing called desiel gate where VW is paying billions of dollars because they defrauded basically the world. Granted most bought into VW not knowing they were actively defrauding buyers on the daily.

I'm not going to shed a tear if someone tries to defraud them back. Even though that affected desiel cars it affected our cars worth no doubt.

Plus dealerships suck too might as well play dumb and have them replace everything trying to figure out an issue.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk