GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What R U Running on your Golf 2.5 - Post your Mod Profile

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Second this, seems interesting. Maybe throw in a pic of the engine bay? I like to see what everyone is talking about regarding their mods.

Not my pic, but this is what my engine looks like and I think it's got a much cleaner look then stock.

Old picture, a few days after the intake manifold install, I cleaned up the engine bay since ^^

Car is at 193 000km

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
IMO the basic premis behind the design of the AFe Power Filter was NOT to make a CAI system, but to essentially follow the long pipe lengths of the original Golf 2.5 intake filter, to maintain low end performance with the original VW intake manifold, but with smoother pipes, that's why the filter was placed where it is.

The IE SRI is designed to produce power at higher RPM, you should use a CAI with shorter pipe lengths to match.

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
IMO the basic premis behind the design of the AFe Power Filter was NOT to make a CAI system, but to essentially follow the long pipe lengths of the original Golf 2.5 intake filter, to maintain low end performance with the original VW intake manifold, but with smoother pipes, that's why the filter was placed where it is.

The IE SRI is designed to produce power at higher RPM, you should use a CAI with shorter pipe lengths to match.

Couldn't agree more, if you guys want more "technical" information about this :

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/Intake_exhaust.html

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Here's a 5 second vid.

https://youtu.be/osY0PU7FTPs

This is starting out in first. Doesn't always happen but you can see the second you touch the gas it jumps to 1500 rpm then without letting your foot off the gas it comes back down to 900 or 1000 rpm then fluctuates a little before starting off.
IDK it could be the MAP sensor being sensitive.

It looks like the engine is compensating... , it reminds me of how our stock tune was acting going down steep hills in cruise control, since it was in gear it would pulse/surge when going down steep hills at like 70 mph when the cruise control backed off. I never solved the problem but once the IE Stage2 Tune was installed the problem disappeared.

NotAFastVW

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but hey... TIL. Either way, I'm thinking about the $350 United Motorsports tune (cheapest and hear good things). Having a longer then usual intake tube shouldn't have too much effect (positive or negative) on the end result right? AKA, still worth it I assume.

Edit: I certainly don't mind having more power down low, as the power band is currently about 2500rpm to 5000rpm. I've never had experience with any vehicle before and after a tune, so will the power band be similar to what I have currently, or will it be shifted to try and make more power in the higher rpms?

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but hey... TIL. Either way, I'm thinking about the $350 United Motorsports tune (cheapest and hear good things). Having a longer then usual intake tube shouldn't have too much effect (positive or negative) on the end result right? AKA, still worth it I assume.

Edit: I certainly don't mind having more power down low, as the power band is currently about 2500rpm to 5000rpm. I've never had experience with any vehicle before and after a tune, so will the power band be similar to what I have currently, or will it be shifted to try and make more power in the higher rpms?
IMO the stock Tune is meh, if you are OK with paying for 91 or greater octane gas, the Stage1 Tunes (IE, Malone or UM) are better GO FOR IT you won't be sorry, regardless of what CAI you are using!

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
IDK it could be the MAP sensor being sensitive.

It looks like the engine is compensating... , it reminds me of how our stock tune was acting going down steep hills in cruise control, since it was in gear it would pulse/surge when going down steep hills at like 70 mph when the cruise control backed off. I never solved the problem but once the IE Stage2 Tune was installed the problem disappeared.

Ya it's highly annoying and it did it stock as well. When I put the USP intake and stage 1 on it went away. I have gone back to stage 1 to see if it would go away but it did not so I believe it was the USP intake that corrected it which makes sense as it seems to be heat related. It only happens when the car is hot and can be bad when backing up.

I agree the car does seem to try and compensate for it. MAP sensor was replaced and it did it before and after. Only thing I haven't tried was a new throttle body. It's like it lets in too much air and the car starts to get away from itself and so it kills the motor and then doesn't know what to do for a second then it's fine.

People complain about driveability issues in first gear and this is I think what they are talking about.

The only way around it is to let the clutch out almost completely before you touch the gas pedal.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Old seals can leak according to temperature. Since the 2.5 doesn't have a mechanical radiator fan you can use a smoking cigarette or something similar to check for a leak around the throttle body.

Does it happen with the AC on?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Old seals can leak according to temperature. Since the 2.5 doesn't have a mechanical radiator fan you can use a smoking cigarette or something similar to check for a leak around the throttle body.

Does it happen with the AC on?

Hmm. Never thought about that. I live in So Cal. The AC is always on.

NotAFastVW

IMO the stock Tune is meh, if you are OK with paying for 91 or greater octane gas, the Stage1 Tunes (IE, Malone or UM) are better GO FOR IT you won't be sorry, regardless of what CAI you are using!

I'm already relatively ok with paying for higher octane fuel since our wonderful 2.5 engines tend to squeeze a little more power out just because we use "better fuel."

Found this a while back. You guys might find is interesting.
(http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/epcp-1007-2010-volkwagen-jetta-proven/)

So with my intake, you think its worth going for a Stage 1 United Motorsports tune, but really only if I run 91 octane or higher? (Which I'm fine with, since its common place to choose or even be required to upgrade fuel).

UM doesn't have any way to get an octane specific tune like APR tends to do... So would there really be a difference between running 87 vs 91+ post tune?

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I'm already relatively ok with paying for higher octane fuel since our wonderful 2.5 engines tend to squeeze a little more power out just because we use "better fuel."

Found this a while back. You guys might find is interesting.
(http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/epcp-1007-2010-volkwagen-jetta-proven/)

So with my intake, you think its worth going for a Stage 1 United Motorsports tune, but really only if I run 91 octane or higher? (Which I'm fine with, since its common place to choose or even be required to upgrade fuel).

UM doesn't have any way to get an octane specific tune like APR tends to do... So would there really be a difference between running 87 vs 91+ post tune?
That article was testing the Stock Tune against different octane levels.

IMO The Stage1 Tunes exceed those findings. An octane specific tune for our low compression normally aspirated 2.5 would be a waste and not much benefit.

EDIT: Read some of the Profiles, a few of the guys have done some good things.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I've been running the IE Stage 2 Tune with the Stock intake manifold for a while now, you'd think it shouldn't work but it works great and sounds even better than Stage1. Runs a bit richer, sometimes you can smell a bit of rotten eggs.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
On the suggestion of MLue1, here's the spec sheet for Lola.

2013 United Grey 2 Door
73,xxx miles
Base Trim
Automatic

Interior
Pioneer AVH-X490BS
Rear-seat delete
Rubber floor mats

*AWAITING INSTALLATION*
GTI D-Style Multifunction Steering Wheel w/ required hardware - I want the wheel to be refreshed, it looks like ass, but its very expensive to do

Exterior
Golf R Bumper Conversion w/ paint match including bumper LEDs, filled and smoother headlight washer caps cause those things suck
CF Mirror Caps
CF Spoiler
CF GTI Rear Valence
Custom quad-exit exhaust tips
Street Aero Front Splitter
F1R F102 18x8.5 +42
Riken Raptor Tires 225/40/18
Spyder Auto Headlights
15% tint all the way around
50% tint on the windshield with a 15% bar
LED Euro Taillights
Peach Painted Calipers
Blue tinted, blind spot side view mirrors
Rear-wiper delete

Performance

DIY Intake
Light-weight crank pulley
Double muffler delete

Braking
Nope

But open to recommendations

Suspension/Handling
Solowerks Coilovers
Track Density Upper Strut Mounts

*AWAITING INSTALLATION*
Unibrace XB - Waiting on it to arrive, need to buy the hardware and tool for it

I think that's everything, might be missing a small thing or two but oh well.

Last edited: