GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Excessive oil consumption?

Plasmamuffins

Passed Driver's Ed
So I know losing about a quart every 1000 miles is considered normal by VW standards, and up until now that was what I was experiencing. But as of last week I've lost about a quart and a half in just 200 miles, and I'm not leaking any oil other than regular blow by. I had just cleaned it a couple days ago and no oil has built up yet.

Any ideas what it could be?

PS. I've been using Mobil 1 0w40 since it's 502 00 compliant but I'm open to using whatever else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Losing a quart and a half in 200 miles?? :eek:

Something's up, man.

I've been using M1 0w40 since my first oil change at 5K (and every 5K since). I usually have to add about half to three quarters of a quart after 2.5K miles and then I'm about the same amount low when I change it. I'll will say that she appears to burn a little more at higher mileage. I didn't used to lose as much, but the difference is negligible.

Losing the amount you mentioned in 200 miles is bananas. Shit, I think even losing a full quart in 1K miles is pretty crazy too...

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i maybe lose a quart in 5k miles...
but never that quickly.. you sure your plug is properly installed with crush washer?

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Check your PCV

While the car is running, take out the dipstick and/or oil cap and see if the engine starts running rough.

If it starts running rough, then the PCV should be working.

If it does not change, your PCV is probably malfunctioning.

Replace it

Plasmamuffins

Passed Driver's Ed
It just started consuming that much out of nowhere!

Everything was fine other than the regular blow by, which I had cleaned already to be able to see if it was leaking. If the plug was bad, it would've leaked right after I did my oil change but that was 2000 miles ago.

Also I took the dipstick out while it was running and there wasn't really any difference. I know it's supposed to run really rough because my friend had an FSI that would go berserk when you took the dipstick out. So I guess that might be my problem?

zVp

Go Kart Champion
It just started consuming that much out of nowhere!

Everything was fine other than the regular blow by, which I had cleaned already to be able to see if it was leaking. If the plug was bad, it would've leaked right after I did my oil change but that was 2000 miles ago.

Also I took the dipstick out while it was running and there wasn't really any difference. I know it's supposed to run really rough because my friend had an FSI that would go berserk when you took the dipstick out. So I guess that might be my problem?

Did you try taking off the oil cap? If the PCV working well, it should run really rough.

You can try replacing the PCV. it's fairly easy

Plasmamuffins

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you try taking off the oil cap? If the PCV working well, it should run really rough.

You can try replacing the PCV. it's fairly easy

I took the oil cap off and it started running rough, but not as bad as it should be

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Check for oil leaks underneath as well. Look around. I'd look at your rear main seal (section where engine meets the trans).

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Check for oil leaks underneath as well. Look around. I'd look at your rear main seal (section where engine meets the trans).

Thanks for the heads-up on this - I will probably get the guys to check the rear main seal when I get my tensioner replaced in a few days.

My PCV was probably bad for a while (only got very, very bad in the last month) so hopefully the excessive pressure didn't blow it out. :(