GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning intercooler while on car!

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Cleaning intercooler while on the car. Part 2.

I was investigating a way to clean the intercooler while on the car. Something to so at the begining of the season without removing the whole front end every time.

Using the Principle of Communicating Vessels, this can be done.
One must tap the intercooler to have a way for the air to exit. Once weather is warmer, I will disconnect the rubber hose from the TB, remove the MAP sensor, and tape over the hole, and then flood the pipe and intercooler with a safe cleaner, to the top of the hose. Then undo the bottom connections of the intercooler and let it drain. This sould leave the intercooler clean and revitalize it's efficiency .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I think this is really interesting. Curious to see how the rest turns out. You're going to fill cleaner through the top?

FriggenT1

Banned
You're going to need to run a lot of pressurized cleaner and water after that to get complete coverage, and not just the left side.

It seems a better solution would be to actually either bypass the rear pcv and use either a dump tube, or a cc setup like what apr uses. Not that the OP doesn't have a decent idea, but that's a while lot of work.

Uberryan

Banned
It seems a better solution would be to actually either bypass the rear pcv and use either a dump tube, or a cc setup like what apr uses. Not that the OP doesn't have a decent idea, but that's a while lot of work.

A lot of work, and has potential for a lot of issues. I know he tapped and then placed a seal for his tap, but the intercooler receives quite a bit of pressure, so hopefully that thing is air tight under WOT, otherwise it will be a costly experiment.

FriggenT1

Banned
A lot of work, and has potential for a lot of issues. I know he tapped and then placed a seal for his tap, but the intercooler receives quite a bit of pressure, so hopefully that thing is air tight under WOT, otherwise it will be a costly experiment.

I just did the crc intake cleaning, if the whole IC is pressurized, why wouldn't that help clean all that stuff out? Surely it might help at least some? Idk the full effects of it, but sprayed right behind the maf, it goes through the whole system.

FriggenT1

Banned
I get what you're saying, but why not just go to Lowe's, buy something like what you'd use to pressure test, but add a nozzle for a hose, put it on that cap, cap off the other side...fill it up and then just drain it out?

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
I get what you're saying, but why not just go to Lowe's, buy something like what you'd use to pressure test, but add a nozzle for a hose, put it on that cap, cap off the other side...fill it up and then just drain it out?

That would not work, as the air has no where to go.... hence tap

FriggenT1

Banned
That would not work, as the air has no where to go.... hence tap

It doesn't have to go all the way up to the top, but even so, you could drill a small hole on the capped side and the the dirty oil would drain as new water was being introduced