GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Guy Here: 48000mi MKVI Potential Buy $15470

AZLP

I'm currently looking at a 2012 VW Gti base 2door. It is under 48000 with a manual transmission.

Carfax main points...
One owner, water pump replaced at around 32000, AC compressor replaced at 31000, timing chain tensioner seal replaced at 43000, and intake manifold replaced at 44700. All service was done at a dealership. No mention of the tensioner actually being replaced or carbon being cleaned. The clutch has not been replaced. This is a dealer price of $15470. The 6 year powertrain warranty will last till late July.

Deal or No deal?

Is an extended warranty a must? ( I'll be driving it 700 miles a month because of work)

Last edited:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I'm currently looking at a 2012 VW Gti base 2door. It is under 48000 with a manual transmission.

Carfax main points...
One owner, water pump replaced at around 32000, AC compressor replaced at 31000, timing chain tensioner seal replaced at 43000, and intake manifold replaced at 44700. All service was done at a dealership. No mention of the tensioner actually being replaced or carbon being cleaned. The clutch has not been replaced. This is a dealer price of $15470. The 6 year powertrain warranty will last till late July.

Deal or No deal?

Is an extended warranty a must? ( I'll be driving it 700 miles a month because of work)

I don't know the market for GTI's currently; but $15.5k for a base model GTI seems high to me. How does this price compare to other GTI's you've been looking at? How much are the Autobahn's going for?

jebusfreek666

Ready to race!
Seems a little high. But at the same time, it sounds like it might be a cherry with all the warranty work done to it. Either the previous owner had a ton of issues with it, or they really took care of it. I'd bet on the latter. Still, I would try to get the price down. Your always going to pay that dealership premium. But I would be shooting for around $1,500-$2,000 lower. Is it a CPO?

KITEWAGON

Passed Driver's Ed
That sure seems high to me. I don't know how accurate KBB is for these cars, but I used it to negotiate the price of my car down by $2400. I just got a 4-dr 2012 Autobahn with 59k miles. Fully loaded and super clean. The only downside is that it already had 3 owners and that I just found out about the potential chain tensioner issue after I bought it.

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
I paid 18k for mine last year, 18k miles and 2013 CPO car, seemed worth it to me.

HoldDaMayo

Leaner and Meaner
I just bought a 2012 MK6 GTI with 50k miles, 4 doors, DSG, HID headlights, moonroof, navigation, heated seats, 18" ugly Huf looking wheels for 15.5K from a VW dealership, but with no warranty.

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Paid ~$13,500 (before tax, paperwork etc) last month, for a 2013 GTI 4DR DSG base @ 44K miles. Was a trade-in @ a Jeep/Dodge dealer here in SoCal. Good paint, clean interior, very clean Lagunas. Tires were new Ohtsu FP7000. Not the best, but will do for now - baseline to appreciate PSS after them I guess...

Carfax report had far less work mentioned, but this doesn't mean much IMHO.

I did not get an extended warranty and I will be driving at least 1,400 miles/month. Did not worth the price it was offered at IMHO.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
That sure seems high to me. I don't know how accurate KBB is for these cars, but I used it to negotiate the price of my car down by $2400. I just got a 4-dr 2012 Autobahn with 59k miles. Fully loaded and super clean. The only downside is that it already had 3 owners and that I just found out about the potential chain tensioner issue after I bought it.
IIRC early 2012 might have the issue (dont quote me on it). The actual part is about $60 bucks on average, find a local VW shop and see how much they charge to swap the part. Its a lot cheaper than a dealer.

I just bought a 2012 MK6 GTI with 50k miles, 4 doors, DSG, HID headlights, moonroof, navigation, heated seats, 18" ugly Huf looking wheels for 15.5K from a VW dealership, but with no warranty.

I would get warranty for the piece of mind.

AZLP

So standard transmission is a must and there aren't many available in my area. This particular gti is on the lower end of the price range for a dealer. I found one from a private dealer for 12500 (firm). The one from the dealer sparked my interest with all the work done recently. Big point I forgot to mention is that it was in a rear end collision in 2015!

Last edited:

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed
I totally get that you want a MT.
Coming from a stick myself, the DSG in D is so grandma mode...my better half's CX-5 2.5lt 6AT feels & sounds far more aggressive for casual driving, lol), but emotion / preference aside, the DSG model was more expensive to boot.

So as far as dealer pricing is concerned, MT models should be a tad cheaper than the DSG ones. If you like the car, cool, but I would use all these arguments to negotiate it down more. Remember, you will probably need to upgrade the clutch in that MT to handle most stage 1 tunes, so ... the money saved will be put to good use ;)

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Big point I forgot to mention is that it was in a rear end collision in 2015!

Stay away from cars that have reported accidents. Even then, you might want to have any used car 'with a clean carfax' inspected for frame damage by an independent shop. If a dealer won't let you take the car for a quick inspection, run for the hills.

Joveen

Ready to race!
I wish i had waited. Paid $14k for my gti 2011 and found 2015's for $15-$16k days later smh.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

CMGTI

Ready to race!
I wish i had waited. Paid $14k for my gti 2011 and found 2015's for $15-$16k days later smh.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

If I was looking for one now, I would go for a 2015 myself, cause still two doors.

AZLP

Great info guys, thanks. I negotiated the price down to 13500 for the car with 2k in taxes and registration. I don't know if I'll pull the trigger yet though.

nagokart

Ready to race!
Just to give you a reference, I paid $14.9k out the door last year for my 2012 Autobahn 52k miles 4dr 6spd with newish tires and receipts. This was a trade-in from the original owner at a GM dealer.